What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

Kurt Angle

First Grade
What I don’t understand is how the WA Bears bid did not attract big WA money or support from the mining and other sectors there. The NRL is a massive Australian sport and surely worth investing in. Instead we got a pawn broker. I am mystified.

Because they are not yet confident enough in the sport in WA, the entire state still has a memory of the Reds, even after 30 years

As with my post about transparency, poor communication and a Bears fetish...

This has already done harm. It eeks of V'Landys' bullying methods, and even if a working solution comes about in the next 2 weeks, a lot of harm has been done by this

Cummins is from the north of England, he ain't doing this out of anything other than loyalty to the sport

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Because they are yet confident enough in the sport in WA, the entire state still has a memory of the Reds, even after 30 years

As with my post about transparency, poor communication and a Bears fetish...

This has already done harm. It eeks if V'Landys' bullying methods, and even if a working solution comes about in the next 2 weeks, a lot of harm has been done by this
the fact that the consortium learnt of the news through the media rather than from Vlandys tells you all you need to know about how professional they are. Would I invest millions in something as shoddy as that? Probably not!

I expect the consortium to come back with an offer of around $5-10mill for the license fee, with 'Plan B' off the table the NRL will likely accept it as they have no alternative other than to walk away from a $450mill WA govt investment or throw in a ton of money themselves at a new club.

Matt_CBY

Juniors
So NRL are turning their back on $450mill govt investment and $30mill private investment for a poxy license fee that wasnt a requirement and has never been paid before.
Vlandys really is a poor administrator, I wonder if its to save someone catching a cold?
The NRL is still working with WA Government.

If you’re going to bitch try following the story first.

Cumins bum buddy is upset. Perth Red never really wanted what’s best for RL in WA. I’m convinced he was getting something out Cumins potentially winning the licence. That’s why Cumins talks as poorly as Perth Reds posts are and why Perth Red is crying so hard now that Cumins is out.

Nothing has changed from a Rugby League perspective with Cumins being shown the door. f**k off.

Vlad59

Bench
the fact that the consortium learnt of the news through the media rather than from Vlandys tells you all you need to know about how professional they are. Would I invest millions in something as shoddy as that? Probably not!
Would I invest in a bid proffered by a pawn broker as its principal. Absolutely not.

Matt_CBY

Juniors
yep he said it as it was, they'd rather put the $30mill into starting up the club properly than give 2/3rds of it to the other 17 clubs. Sounds a logical enough business decision to me. He does need a PR firm though, why he'd agree to go on a prcks show like that I dont know.
Yep just keep attacking everything in your bitch attack.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
The NRL is saying that because they are trying to give off the impression have options

The game has a lot of potential in WA, it doesn't have the utter worship of AFL and "RL is the enemy" that is, or at least used to, exist in Victoria. It will be a lot easier to co exist

Despite that potential, it has been run quite slim by a lot of loyal stakeholders for quite some time

What WA is shy of, and the legacy of the Reds is, the "eastern states" can pull the rug out from under them and say "f*CK you" to WA"

Cumins bum buddy is upset. Perth Red never really wanted what’s best for RL in WA. I’m convinced he was getting something out Cumins potentially winning the licence. That’s why Cumins talks as poorly as Perth Reds posts are and why Perth Red is crying so hard now that Cumins is out.

Nothing has changed from a Rugby League perspective with Cumins being shown the door. f**k off.

I've already said PR and Cummins are friends in RL, of course he's invested

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore

I know exactly whats happening and trust mePlan B aint gonna happen.
NRL's so called plan B is dead before it started. So they only have 3 options.
Accept a revised consortium offer, own the license themselves and spend $30-50mill setting it up and hope they can sell it down the track to recoup some of it, or not have WA in.
But then which of the other bids is any different a position? Would any of them be happy or able to pay a $20mill license fee?
Then what? stick at an 18 club with the grand expansion plans being one club no one wants?

I know this is probably too hard for your little brain to conceptualise Matt, stick with the childish insults mate, its more becoming you.

Wb1234

Immortal
So NRL are turning their back on $450mill govt investment and $30mill private investment for a poxy license fee that wasnt a requirement and has never been paid before.
Vlandys really is a poor administrator, I wonder if its to save someone catching a cold?
450 million pesos ?

Cause it sure ain’t dollars

Kurt Angle

First Grade
It might be but doesn’t have to be.
Sponsorship come with the terms of least risk as possible

No bid can say "sponsors join us, and then we'll have a team"

The sponsors will always say "get a team first, then we'll sponsor you"

That will always be the risk mitigation by any corporate offering sponsorship

The appearance in WA now is the NRL wants to find trivial reasons to deny a team.

The secondary fallout from this is the view the NRL will work to impair the success of any WA team, hence impacting prospective sponsorship from this point forward, as in even if the bid gets up

V'Landys has probably wiped off $50 million of value from the NRL as a whole by going public with this

Last edited:

Wb1234

Immortal

I expect the consortium to come back with an offer of around $5-10mill for the license fee, with 'Plan B' off the table the NRL will likely accept it as they have no alternative other than to walk away from a $450mill WA govt investment or throw in a ton of money themselves at a new club.
Plan b is Cummins

Negotiations are happening between wa govt arlc and bears without cuminns

Wb1234

Immortal
The NRL is saying that because they are trying to give off the impression have options

The game has a lot of potential in WA, it doesn't have the utter worship of AFL and RL us the enemy that is, or at least used to, exist in Victoria. It will be a lot easier to co exist

Despite that potential is has been run quite slim by if lot of loyal stakeholders for quite some time

What WA is shy of, and the legacy of the Reds is, the "eastern states" can pull the rug out from under them and say "f*CK you" to WA

I've already said PR and Cummins are friends in RL, of course he's invested

Is that last paragraph actually true ?

Vlad59

Bench
Sponsorship come with the terms of least risk as possible

No bid can say "sponsors, and then we'll have a team"

The sponsors will always say "get a team first, then we'll sponsor you"

That will always be the risk mitigation by any corporate offering sponsorship

The appearance in WA now is the NRL wants to find trivial reasons to deny a team.

The second day fallout from this is the view the NRL will work to impair the success of any WA team, hence impacting prospective sponsorship from this point forward, as in even if the bid gets up

V'Landys has probably wiped off $50 million of value from the NRL as a whole by going public with this
I know you can’t stand Vlandys but your quantum leaping here is highly amusing. At least PR will love you.

Wb1234

Immortal
The Bears had not stumped up for a licence fee given an estimated $26 million in start-up costs and what Cumins felt was between $10 million and $20 million in value being created for the NRL by establishing a West Australian team.

The Dolphins were not required to pay a licence fee when they entered the league in 2023, given the club’s financial strength.

“Unfortunately I see (the bid) on life support, disappointing as it is,” Cumins told SEN on Thursday.

But since absorbing the initial shock of having their bid rejected, Cumins said the Bears were committed to imminently renegotiating with the NRL.

Cumins previously estimated a licence fee would be in the vicinity of $20 million, but is hopeful of reaching a compromise with the league to enter the league in 2027 as planned.

“Certainly that is our hope still,” he said.

“But we’ve got to be very conscious of the fact that if there is a (licence) fee to be paid and it’s significant, we’ve got to make sure we can honour the commitment that we make.

“That’s what we’re working on at the moment.

“I’m hopeful that we can have further negotiations with the NRL and come to some compromise on this licence fee.

“We will be going back to the NRL to make an offer.”

Cumins’ previous experience working with the Western Reds’ entry into the Australian Rugby League in 1995 had cautioned him against paying exorbitant fees at the outset.

“We had to pay, for example, to fly a first and reserve grade team to Perth for every game as well as our own cost to fly to the East Coast,” he said.

‘That was a crippling legacy for the club. I’m not prepared to do the same this time.”

The Australian Rugby League Commission is expected to enter negotiations with the West Australian Government should the private consortium fail to stump up an adequate licence fee.

Cumins was sceptical of the idea, and WA Premier Roger Cook has previously distanced the Government from the bid.

“I wish them luck because I don’t believe State Government’s role is to partner up on operating rugby league clubs or sports in general,” said Cumins.

Pvl players cummins like a fiddle

And you said he’s a bad negotiator

He made the Australian govt stump up 60 million license fee when they didn’t want too and now the pawn broker is going to open his wallet

Latest posts