What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

Vlad59

Bench
This bid, that bid ,these bids...
It's almost like it's a ..

.. bidding process..?
No ! But they should have stipulated a price!

Anyone else getting f**king annoyed at dipshits that don't understand the word BID ..
?
bid verb (OFFER)

to offer a particular amount of money for something that is for sale and compete against other people to buy it, especially at a public sale of goods or property: She knew she couldn't afford it, so she didn't bid. bid for The communications group has shown an interest in bidding for the company.

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
But then how is paying $20m to bribe other clubs going to help the team when it goes pear shaped? Surely that $20m is better used on the running of the team to stop it going pear shaped in the first place.
$20m isn’t a bribe. It’s an entry fee, license fee to participate in taking a slice of the pie that the other 17 clubs create.

Without an 18th, 19th and 20th team the 17 established clubs have more of the money from the pool that goes directly to them. Once you add more partners then the pie slices get thinner because there are more slices needing to be shared regardless if the broadcasting deal is bigger.

Gobsmacked

Bench
bid verb (OFFER)

to offer a particular amount of money for something that is for sale and compete against other people to buy it, especially at a public sale of goods or property: She knew she couldn't afford it, so she didn't bid. bid for The communications group has shown an interest in bidding for the company

Really complicated.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It's gone from the NRL has 5 or 6 expansion options and is flush with cash, to we now have Zero options without a massive taxpayer handout involved.

How did it flip so quickly?
pretty obvious really. It flipped when the NRL decided that the fee was now mandatory and was $20mill, well after the bids had been submitted. amateur indeed.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Because if it goes pear shaped the Dolphins had the money and resources in place to recover unlike Peter Cumins and his consortium, I’m still wondering why Cumins and his cohorts had to have the Sydney Kings guys on board, where were all of these WA private backers we kept hearing about ?.
Id suggest, given the investment was only '$4mill', the sydney investors were much more about what they bring in their experience of running a successful pro sports club and the fact they have a highly successful sports media arm. Ever watched dragons den?

Perth Red

Post Whore
But then how is paying $20m to bribe other clubs going to help the team when it goes pear shaped? Surely that $20m is better used on the running of the team to stop it going pear shaped in the first place.
That would be far too sensible.
Just call it was it is, a cash grab to be used to lube next months license renewal negotiations with the existing clubs.

Gobsmacked

Bench
That would be far too sensible.
Just call it was it is, a cash grab to be used to lube next months license renewal negotiations with the existing clubs.
I think I had you all wrong, I thought you were a bloke but no bloke could maintain this level of bitterness.
It's a bidding process mate, usually means they're expecting a bid...
They were told directly on several occasions that a substantial sum will be required! A large bid!
Yet for a hundred million dollar business they offered zero...
Now you're trying to push a narrative that the NRL are incompetent..
Incompetence is giving away a hundred million dollar franchise for nothing.

You know all that but you're just a self serving arsehole and a bad loser.

Trifili13

Juniors
$20m isn’t a bribe. It’s an entry fee, license fee to participate in taking a slice of the pie that the other 17 clubs create.

Without an 18th, 19th and 20th team the 17 established clubs have more of the money from the pool that goes directly to them. Once you add more partners then the pie slices get thinner because there are more slices needing to be shared regardless if the broadcasting deal is bigger.
There seems to be conflicting views on this forum, probably because most of us don't really have a clue what is going on.

Some are saying that the Western Bears have to pay an entry/license fee as they would be sharing the pie, which is fare enough. But did the Dolphins pay an entry/license fee?

Others are saying it's not a fee but a contingency they have to put up in case things go pear shaped and the Dolphins didn't have to because they have a leagues club with milions of dollars of assets backing them. In most cases I would suggest the leagues and football clubs are 2 separate legal entities, and while closely aligned, there is no guarantee that the leagues club will support the football club if it went pear shaped unless there is a legally binding document. I would suggest a lot of the leagues club members would not be happy having to bail out a football team if they are only members of the club and enjoy going to the club with no interest in what the football team is doing.

Others are calling it a 'bribe' to be paid to the existing clubs to vote the Western Bears in.

Does anyone really know what is happening or are people writing stuff depending on which side of the fence they are sitting.

Vlad59

Bench
I think I had you all wrong, I thought you were a bloke but no bloke could maintain this level of bitterness.
It's a bidding process mate, usually means they're expecting a bid...
They were told directly on several occasions that a substantial sum will be required! A large bid!
Yet for a hundred million dollar business they offered zero...
Now you're trying to push a narrative that the NRL are incompetent..
Incompetence is giving away a hundred million dollar franchise for nothing.

You know all that but you're just a self serving arsehole and a bad loser.
Sadly I have to agree with this. Everything I’ve read this week indicates that Cumins stuffed this bid up. It’s called a ‘bid’ for a reason.

Vlad59

Bench
There seems to be conflicting views on this forum, probably because most of us don't really have a clue what is going on.

Some are saying that the Western Bears have to pay an entry/license fee as they would be sharing the pie, which is fare enough. But did the Dolphins pay an entry/license fee?

Others are saying it's not a fee but a contingency they have to put up in case things go pear shaped and the Dolphins didn't have to because they have a leagues club with milions of dollars of assets backing them. In most cases I would suggest the leagues and football clubs are 2 separate legal entities, and while closely aligned, there is no guarantee that the leagues club will support the football club if it went pear shaped unless there is a legally binding document. I would suggest a lot of the leagues club members would not be happy having to bail out a football team if they are only members of the club and enjoy going to the club with no interest in what the football team is doing.

Others are calling it a 'bribe' to be paid to the existing clubs to vote the Western Bears in.

Does anyone really know what is happening or are people writing stuff depending on which side of the fence they are sitting.
Your last paragraph describes this thread perfectly.

Red&BlackBear

First Grade

It doesn’t matter what Dolphins did or didn’t do.

Much like it didn’t matter what Titans did or didn’t do which was a completely different set of prerequisites to Dolphins. At the time no one battered an eye lid that Dolphins had to prove their net worth as both an organisation, business entity and football operations.

Things change. That’s business. People need to move on and stop using Dolphins set of circumstances as an excuse for Western Bears set of circumstances.

Latest posts