What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

Perth Red

Post Whore
It’s an investment in state infrastructure which they will derive huge benefits from and multiple sports will benefit from
sigh. It wont happen without an NRL club, they are literally only proposing it to help the WA NRL club bid get up.
And no it wont, it wont make much difference, big events are held at Optus, smaller ones at HBF. That wont change.

Wb1234

Immortal
I guess that is probably whats happening now and what the news articles about WA wanting to sit down and negotiate are about. This is Vlandys MO, we all know that, put a public doom and gloom statement out, have everyone flurry around and eventually a deal gets done. We saw the worst of it during the RLPA negotiations. Like Ive said this a long way from over yet, for WA or the bid I suspect.

Pvl has played Cummins and wa govt like a fiddle

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
I guess that is probably whats happening now and what the news articles about WA wanting to sit down and negotiate are about. This is Vlandys MO, we all know that, put a public doom and gloom statement out, have everyone flurry around and eventually a deal gets done. We saw the worst of it during the RLPA negotiations. Like Ive said this a long way from over yet, for WA or the bid I suspect.
Well I commend you for realising what’s going on.

PVL starts negations with a party. It looks rosey for months. Suddenly before a deadline it somehow seems to go to shit. PVL makes public statement against party. PVL goes back into negotiations with party. Item gets resolved and PVL looks like a saviour.

Examples of this: RLPA, Broadcast Negotiations during COVID, QRL/NSWRL vs ARLC clash PNG/Federal Government for their bid and now Western Bears/WA Government for their bid.

5 similar trend scenarios since 2020.
IMG_5397.jpeg

Last edited:

taipan

Referee
Because the A league needs to use that cash to stay viable. Again they haven't put it in the bank for if that club has a rainy day!

I have no doubt the WA govt would have provided the bank surety. Dolphisn were asked for a bank surety for this exact occasion, no reason WA couldnt have been asked for the same if that was really the issue.

But again the NRL isnt asking for this fee as some sort of bond for a rainy day. Its a cash grab to give the other clubs when they start negotiations with them next month over the next 5 year license deal. effectively asking a new club to pay for the NRl to get a better deal from the clubs for the next 5 years.
It doesn't alter the fact, putting that money in is a firm commitment ,bearing in mind soccer in that area as well as league is popular. All codes need to maximise revenue where possible.
It's not a lay down the WA Govt would have provided the bank surety ,because what taxpayer will be thrilled if the shyte hits the fan.
Dolphins had the asset backing with no Govt exposure.One would suggest a triple A ratingtcking all expansion boxes.
I explained why the clubs (who BTW are all partners in the NRL) and have say they will be impacted player recruitment wise with not only Perth but PNG entering.
If the Tv deals on the horizon do not meet expectations of the NRL(where they have no choice) with 18 teams because FTA business is not the cash cow it once was.Who makes up the shortfall ?
WA is a wealthy state , but any present only 1 consortium wants to be involved with limited resources it appears.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Geez dude you’re defending Cumins like you’re his lover or something. Dude dropped the ball, move on. You’re coming across as whiny and petty now.

WA Consortium wasn’t prepared to share board seats and control. They wanted it all. Do you remember you harping on about it time and time again?

Why do you need to know the investors by name? Are you wanting to call them or something?

Move on and let’s wait to see how this plays out. There’s light at the end of the tunnel.
I'm questioning your clear stance that the bid was wrong to reject investors connected to North Sydney. Without knowing the ins and outs of these investors, or even if it happened. theres not much point taking a position either way.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well I commend you for realising what’s going on.

PVL starts negations with a party. It looks rosey for months. Suddenly before a deadline it somehow seems to go to shit. PVL makes public statement against party. PVL goes back into negotiations with party. Item gets resolved and PVL looks like a saviour.

Examples of this: RLPA, Broadcast Negotiations during COVID, QRL/NSWRL vs ARLC clash PNG/Federal Government for their bid and now Western Bears/WA Government for their bid.

5 similar trend scenarios since 2020.
View attachment 95343
yep we've seen it countless times. Why when NSWRL told him to get fcked and beat him in court twice it raised a smile!

Perth Red

Post Whore
It doesn't alter the fact, putting that money in is a firm commitment ,bearing in mind soccer in that area as well as league is popular. All codes need to maximise revenue where possible.
It's not a lay down the WA Govt would have provided the bank surety ,because what taxpayer will be thrilled if the shyte hits the fan.
Dolphins had the asset backing with no Govt exposure.One would suggest a triple A ratingtcking all expansion boxes.
I explained why the clubs (who BTW are all partners in the NRL) and have say they will be impacted player recruitment wise with not only Perth but PNG entering.
If the Tv deals on the horizon do not meet expectations of the NRL(where they have no choice) with 18 teams because FTA business is not the cash cow it once was.Who makes up the shortfall ?
WA is a wealthy state , but any present only 1 consortium wants to be involved with limited resources it appears.
Its not but given this is Cook's pet project, and they've done it before for Force and Glory I wouldnt say its a stretch to say they would have come to the party. Much easier fort hem than forking out $20mill cash to give to other NRl clubs. Though that might still happen as well.

If the money isnt there then either A) factor that into the process, dont foster it on the bids after the event, or B) dont expand if you cant afford it and you dont think it will bring in the additional revenue to cover the cost. Taking a short term sugar hit if it doesnt stack up long term seems somewhat dumb doesn't it?

Canard

Immortal
Then why did Western United have to pay $18m upfront to get into the A League ? A firm commitment that they mean business and long term security.
The licence fee represents an iron clad commitment for the long term in an area that is not heartland.
A Bank guarantee naturally requires either cash, property or other assets to secure the guarantee. If assets are minimal when we are talking about a club in a high profile sporting code, what sort of guarantee moneywise would they cover and for how long.
What does the club have in terms of cash on hand, property such as a licensed club or undeveloped residential land .Who else( high profile business) apart from Cummins is prepared to throw in loot ?
Then two guys suddenly arrive out of left field ,to be involved without letting the NRL know.It's frigging amateur hour.
I understand PVL was not keen on licensing back in 2021 , some dark stuff hit the fan now and he has reacted with an opposing view.

NRL policy is to fund clubs, development etc and purchase bricks & mortar assets to ensure long term viability for the code, not just individual clubs.Whatever licence fee is paid,I doubt it would not be sitting in a bank account earning 4% but used for assisting clubs who would face competition for players with a new club and looking at money making assets.
We had SFA assets when PVL took over ,now there are 3 hotels on their asset register.
And one more for the dummies ,I want an NRL club in Perth. LONG TERM.
Because the A-LEAGUE is a Ponzi scheme that will fall over before 2030.

This fee is literally the only way they raise any revenue.

Whereas $20M is a fart in the Ocean for the NRL. It would cover 4 corporate lunches at best

i0Nic

Juniors
The latter I think, the fact that it's come out that they had to partner with Norths says it all. Then PVL comes out and reassures norths fans that will be ok.
Yes my worry is mainly PVL's reaction in the media to this news - rather than coming out and assuring WA fans that they will work to make sure NRL puts a team there, instead he comes out reassuring Norths fans that they'll be back???

It seems that is his priority rather than WA.

Wb1234

Immortal
I'm questioning your clear stance that the bid was wrong to reject investors connected to North Sydney. Without knowing the ins and outs of these investors, or even if it happened. theres not much point taking a position either way.
Maybe you should take a poll of your Facebook group whilst he’s talking to his actual bears connections

Matt_CBY

Juniors
Then you’ll know full well the sentiment of the majority of wa fans, most of them have only just come round to a wa owned bears partnership rather than a reds or pirates stand alone club.
From “everyone” to the “majority” in a few hours.

It’ll be the minority soon enough.

Anyway, that little group doesn’t matter. Gonna need much larger support than that to make the team a success.

Then two guys suddenly arrive out of left field ,to be involved without letting the NRL know.It's frigging amateur hour.
How could the NRL have not known about those two blokes, it was all over the papers and at that stage they were only talking about always wanting to own or part own an NRL team.
A simple enquiry from the NRL at that stage would have confirmed a) they were already in b) they weren`t, or c) they had no intention of.
Not sure what the problem was here.

Matt_CBY

Juniors
Who are these rejected investors from norths? WHat did they offer and what did they want for what they were offering?
Why aren’t norths themselves fronting up with a proposition? If the money is in norths why isn’t Vlandys bringing them in to offer a rival bid? Surely between the pokie den and the rejected investors they can find $50mill? No? Really?
f**king Labor voters

Perth Red

Post Whore
How could the NRL have not known about those two blokes, it was all over the papers and at that stage they were only talking about always wanting to own or part own an NRL team.
A simple enquiry from the NRL at that stage would have confirmed a) they were already in b) they weren`t, or c) they had no intention of.
Not sure what the problem was here.
this is speculation anyway, there's been no official comment on the actual bid beyond the license fee for them all from the NRL. There had been talk of east coast investment for months, they were named in the submission. Vlandys would have to have been pretty blind to have been blindsided lol.

Latest posts