What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA- did we miss the boat ?

mongoose

Coach
It's not uncommon for ball playing fullbacks to transition into the halves.

Want an example?

Darren Lockyer. He was a fullback in the 90s and early 00s. Then he transitioned into the halves and became the best 5/8 in the game.

Look at Scott Drinkwater at the Cowboys. 5/8 moved to fullback and back to 5/8.

Michael Morgan played in the centres at junior level then transitioned to halfback at U20s, then was moved to fullback and then back into the halves.

If you have the skill and creativity then you can play almost anywhere in the spine.

Do you and Perth Red even follow the game?

my point is that you accuse the storm of poaching and hoarding all the best young spine players, so why don't have any good young halfbacks or 5/8s? why do they have a makeshift spine with 2 fullbacks in the halves?
It is maybe because they are great at coaching and developing players and making the most of what they have?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Show us the evidence of the storm cheating the cap. Otherwise you are being libellous.
Maybe you should be asking what the hell the Brisbane club spends $50mill a year on if they can’tspot and recruit the best Brisbane talent. Or maybe you really believe the best young kids are choosing to live in Canberra than play for the broncos? Lol
The modern game is exactly why we don t need to worry about how many kids are playing RL in WA. If perth are an attractive club to play for they will be able to put together a winning team, and quite frankly I really dont give a sht where the players are born.

Last edited:

greenBV4

Bench
The modern game is exactly why we don t need to worry about how many kids are playing RL in WA. If perth are an attractive club to play for they will be able to put together a winning team, and quite frankly I really dont give a sht where the players are born.
We will likely end up with some form of national draft sooner or later anyway, if we could get that and the NRL in charge of junior development then all of the clubs could focus on the professional side of their club and all might be a bit more successfull on and off the field

my point is that you accuse the storm of poaching and hoarding all the best young spine players, so why don't have any good young halfbacks or 5/8s? why do they have a makeshift spine with 2 fullbacks in the halves?
It is maybe because they are great at coaching and developing players and making the most of what they have?
They had Croft and a few other young halves, but they never kicked on like the Storm thought they would. Not all talented juniors transition into great NRL players. Sometimes the late bloomers, like Fogarty, are the right fit for NRL.

There isn't a long list of great young halves running around right now. The structured nature of the modern game and transition to larger framed players across all positions has killed creativity, especially at junior level. I fear that we will never see another Langer or Thurston again. Benji Marshall had to bulk up and lost his agility in the process. Ditto for Milford.

Last edited:
Show us the evidence of the storm cheating the cap. Otherwise you are being libellous.
Maybe you should be asking what the hell the Brisbane club spends $50mill a year on if they can’tspot and recruit the best Brisbane talent. Or maybe you really believe the best young kids are choosing to live in Canberra than play for the broncos? Lol
The Raiders had ties with Logan, which is a strong nursery for RL talent.

2010 is proof of Melbourne cheating the cap. Cronk leaving the Storm for the other big spending club after the extra funding from the ARLC dried up, plus Smith signing a deal that stipulated he got a testimonial match years before his retirement and two corporate lunches says everything I need to know about how Melbourne retain quality players that are wanted by every other club. Don't forget the two rings for Mr and Mrs Smith, courtesy of the NRL. I guess the perks from front office just keep on flowing in for the Storm.

No one at the ARLC wants a team in WA because it's obvious that Perth cannot run a team without massive support from front office. If you think the 16 other clubs will agree for a Perth team to get extra funds at their expense then you're crazy. The only reason it happened with Melbourne is because News Ltd owned 50% of the game in 1998.

greenBV4

Bench
The Raiders had ties with Logan, which is a strong nursery for RL talent.

2010 is proof of Melbourne cheating the cap. Cronk leaving the Storm for the other big spending club after the extra funding from the ARLC dried up, plus Smith signing a deal that stipulated he got a testimonial match years before his retirement and two corporate lunches says everything I need to know about how Melbourne retain quality players that are wanted by every other club. Don't forget the two rings for Mr and Mrs Smith, courtesy of the NRL. I guess the perks from front office just keep on flowing in for the Storm.
You claimed the CURRENT team was cheating the cap, the same one that gets written off as not a premiership team every year, but I'm still waiting on that list of players you think are worth more then what they are getting on paper

Im also pretty sure baseless claims of cheating are against forum guidelines, you've been toeing (or moreso leaping over) that line since you started posting

Im honestly surprised your username is Get Rid of the Storm

Last edited:
You claimed the CURRENT team was cheating the cap, the same one that gets written off as not a premiership team every year, but I'm still waiting on that list of players you think are worth more then what they are getting on paper
They probably are cheating it. Getting caught never stopped Parramatta.

Munster was in high demand. Smith is still there despite the Broncos wanting him for years.

They've got what, 3 dummy halves and even more fullbacks?

Brandon Smith and Jerome Hughes were poached from the Cowboys around the time we won the GF. You cannot say they went to Melbourne because they wanted success when the team they were at were winning Nines and Premierships. Nor can you say they went there for an opportunity when the likes of Cam Smith, Billy Slater and Cam Munster were well ahead of them.

greenBV4

Bench
They probably are cheating it. Getting caught never stopped Parramatta.

Munster was in high demand. Smith is still there despite the Broncos wanting him for years.

They've got what, 3 dummy halves and even more fullbacks?

Brandon Smith and Jerome Hughes were poached from the Cowboys around the time we won the GF. You cannot say they went to Melbourne because they wanted success when the team they were at were winning Nines and Premierships. Nor can you say they went there for an opportunity when the likes of Cam Smith, Billy Slater and Cam Munster were well ahead of them.
For all reports I have seen the cowboys didnt want those 2 anymore and they were struggling to get a start, they were also no names at the time and 99.9% of people wouldn't of ever heard of them, why would Melbourne "poach" them and why is that an issue anyway when you have most other clubs poaching players that are already stars, something Melbourne doesn't do

On paper Melbourne is not one of the best teams in the league, to accuse the current team of being over the cap would be accusing many others of being WAY over it. You have mentioned 2 players that should be on big money, most clubs have 2 close to million dollar players so what of it

For all reports I have seen the cowboys didnt want those 2 anymore and they were struggling to get a start, they were also no names at the time and 99.9% of people wouldn't of ever heard of them, why would Melbourne "poach" them and why is that an issue anyway when you have most other clubs poaching players that are already stars, something Melbourne doesn't do

On paper Melbourne is not one of the best teams in the league, to accuse the current team of being over the cap would be accusing many others of being WAY over it. You have mentioned 2 players that should be on big money, most clubs have 2 close to million dollar players so what of it
Melbourne are also allowed to cheat on field, which wins them games. I've seen the refs let Melbourne players do things that would be pulled back if anyone from another club did it. I'll give you a couple of examples to prove my point.

Parra vs Melb 2 weeks ago. With Parra on the attack, the Storm winger lies down and says he has a cramp. Trainer puts his hand up. Refs stop the game. Melbourne get a breather and reset their defence. Contrast that with Cowboys vs Melb in 2019. Two Cowboys players are severely injured in the kick chase. Trainer puts hand up. Refs allow Melb to play a full set against 11 men. Munster takes a dive on the last play. Refs award penalty to Melbourne. Munster gets up as soon as penalty is blown. One of the injured Cowboys had a compound fracture and dislocation. The other had a severe elbow i jury that kept him out for months. A massive double standard.

Cowb vs Melb, Lang Park, 2016. Melb continuously lie in the ruck and crowd the man playing the ball, so ref penalises them. Smith has a massive tantrum and attacks the ref for penalising Melbourne's foul play. Should have been sent to the bin for dissent, but no, he stays. Ref stops penalising Melb's indiscretions. Changes the game. Despite Melb's cheating and ref turning a blind eye for 3/4ers of the game, Cowb's trail by just a point. Thurston has a shot at field goal, but Smith, who was never square from marker, sprints out from an offside position to deny Thurston a shot. Should have been a penalty from right in front, but that would have won the game for Cowbs and made Cam upset, so ref turned a blind eye. When Granville did something similar in 2018 vs Souths the ref had no qualms blowing penalty to give Souths the win. Klein gave Brisbane a penalty for the same thing, either last year or the one before against Wests. But the rules don't apply when Melb do it.

Cowb vs Melb, 2018, Willows.

Melb player knocks the ball on and dead in the Voeb's goal line. Ref rules knock-on Cowb and awards a goal line drop out. Video ref had plenty of time to over turn it, with clear cut evidence showing Melb knocked it on, but say nothing. Melb force another drop out and score. Final score Melb 7-6 Cowb.

Donkeys vs Melb, Lang Park.
Slater clearly knocks the ball on, then kicks it forward and runs through to score. Video ref refuses to call it a knock on, even though everyone could see the ball fall out of his hand and bounce around on the ground. Anything to get the Storm ahead.

Admit it, your team are cheats and the NRL are complicit because they know the only chance of RL being accepted in Melb is if Storm never lose. AwFuL have done similar with Swans.

mongoose

Coach
yep only the Storm ever get favorable calls, never any other team... In the Raiders vs Sharks final I recall the game was stopped cause a sharks player had some minor leg issue. It's happened in lots of games.

greenBV4

Bench
put ANY club under the microscope you subject the Storm to and you will get the same or similar results

Admit it, you have a bias against Melbourne and look into things way to hard, take it out of context, and display it in a way to make it seem worse and unique

people just hate a winning side, always have, always will.
When we drop off a bit the league will have a new villain

put ANY club under the microscope you subject the Storm to and you will get the same or similar results
Show me examples of these things going against Melbourne, especially at crucial stages, and you might have a point.

Admit it, you have a bias against Melbourne and look into things way to hard, take it out of context, and display it in a way to make it seem worse and unique

people just hate a winning side, always have, always will.
When we drop off a bit the league will have a new villain
I hate a cheating side that get away with it. Slater used to lash out with his elbows in the ruck and lead with his feet in the in goal, but was never punished.

Smith has injured people with his wrestling holds. A good example was Titans vs Storm at Lang Park. Smith deliberately twisted Proctor's leg, causing an injury that kept him out for weeks. Titans didn't even get a penalty. Shaun Johnson deliberately puts his arm in Proctor's mouth so he cannot breath and pretends he was bitten. Ref does something never seen before and sends off Proctor.

Last edited:
yep only the Storm ever get favorable calls, never any other team... In the Raiders vs Sharks final I recall the game was stopped cause a sharks player had some minor leg issue. It's happened in lots of games.
How many teams are forced to defend an entire set with 11 men because 2 of their players were severely injured on the kick chase?

Im also pretty sure baseless claims of cheating are against forum guidelines, you've been toeing (or moreso leaping over) that line since you started posting

I did not know that it is against the rules to speculate about salary cap cheating.

But you cannot deny they did it for years and despite getting caught, managed to keep Slater, Cronk and Smith afterwards.

Who knows, maybe my position on the Storm is wrong. It is based on their past indiscretions, lack of remorse, questionable tactics on the field and dodgy decisions that go their way, both on field and at the judiciary. I just don't believe in fairytales or co-incidents. If it ain't cheating then it is the biggest and longest run of good fortune, which I believe is statistically impossible. I also have a hard time believing News Ltd are trustworthy. The phone hacking scandal in England shows how far they're willing to sink. THEY created the Storm and benefit from the good ratings they generate in Brisbane, which is dependant on them winning, so please forgive me for being skeptical. But I will stop accusing the Storm of cheating the salary cap if it is against the rules.

Last edited:

greenBV4

Bench
Roosters have had just as much if not more sucess in the same timeframe, where is there news ltd connection?

If the comp was outright rigged in our favour we wouldn't of lost more grandfinals then any other club in the last 20 years (our GF record is pretty appalling)

I will admit Smith seems to be able to sweet talk the refs moreso than other captains, but I think thats all, he knows how to convice them he's right and approaches them the right way (probably why he could pass off as a dodgy used car salesman) - but that is different to the NRL outright rigging the comp like your suggesting

Roosters have had just as much if not more sucess in the same timeframe, where is there news ltd connection?

If the comp was outright rigged in our favour we wouldn't of lost more grandfinals then any other club in the last 20 years (our GF record is pretty appalling)

I will admit Smith seems to be able to sweet talk the refs moreso than other captains, but I think thats all, he knows how to convice them he's right and approaches them the right way (probably why he could pass off as a dodgy used car salesman) - but that is different to the NRL outright rigging the comp like your suggesting
How do you explain Slater getting the clear to play the GF after a blatant shoulder charge a week earlier?

What about the dodgy tactics they get away with?

My club could not get away with that sort of grubbery.

You probably wouldn't notice it as you're a Storm fan.

mongoose

Coach
How do you explain Slater getting the clear to play the GF after a blatant shoulder charge a week earlier?

You probably wouldn't notice it as you're a Storm fan.

If Thurston did the same thing as Slater he would have got away with it as well. The NRL and broadcasters don't want to see big name players miss big games, no matter what team they play for.

greenBV4

Bench
Ill also admit he got lucky there, but again thats more a slater thing than a storm thing, same would happen for any "legend"
sure they may be dodgy but if they are within the rules there within the rules, every club is doing them now as well, just maybe not as good at it
Josh McGuire is possibly the grubbiest player in the game!

Ill also admit he got lucky there, but again thats more a slater thing than a storm thing, it was a legend of the game's final game

sure they may be dodgy but if they are within the rules there within the rules, every club is doing them now as well, just maybe not as good at it

Josh McGuire is possibly the grubbiest player in the game!
Josh McGuire gets punished for it. That's the difference. Slater and Smith have done just as bad and gotten away with it.