What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Waiting in the Wings

Meth

Staff member
I can't do another year of Bill Tupou.

What options do we have for 2013?

Drzoidberg

Juniors
Me too mate, me too.

If we have cash we should make a play for Bryson Goodwin. Kiwi and can kick goals plus I don't think he's going to get start at the dogs next year with Turner and Perrett there too.

Or John Williams don't think he contracted yet.

Wish Tupou was the Tupou from the roosters.

Iafeta

Referee
It seems fairly clear to me who the next cab off the rank is - Glen Fisiiahi.

I wouldn't though put the red pen through Bill Tupou. He had a bad year... so did a lot of other players at the club. I'd like to see how he goes in a better environment, that is, a well coached pre-season and hopefully better gym equipment etc. He's not without talent. It's often forgotten that he was a very accomplished finisher in NYC, and he had performed well in the Vulcans. I feel the structure and the whole off field process this year was absolute rubbish and the bloke who needed to take responsibility and be accountable for it has been forced to do so. Get a proper coach in, see how many of these blokes are able to swim or sink and then make the changes needed.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Me too mate, me too.

If we have cash we should make a play for Bryson Goodwin. Kiwi and can kick goals plus I don't think he's going to get start at the dogs next year with Turner and Perrett there too.

Williams has retired. Going to concentrate on doing music for movies

blain

Juniors
The thing about Tupou is he had all these articles of him, saying he's playing his best football etc. It was media over hype but still, the things he was saying was like he was killing it and really happy with how things were going. Scary stuff!!

Fish for me, Goodwin would be Tupou who can kick and is older.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Me too mate, me too.

I'd take Goodwin, absolutely. Goal-kicking winger who has played for his country. Not flashy but reasonably dependable.

The skill set for being a winger is not that huge. Be solid under the high ball, have a bit of toe, know how to finish, know defensive systems. It's not as complicated as the halves, the centres etc. So why can't we produce two or three decent ones out of his massive player pool we're supposed to have in NZ?

Tupou probably does deserve another chance. So does Manu but both were dire in 2012. We can't afford that in 2013.

Meth

Staff member
I just think we've seen what Tupou has to offer. And its minimal. How many times did we see him get the ball in good attacking position, wehre you'd normally expect a winger to be a chance, and you just know he's not going to threaten. I want a menace on the wing.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
So who do we have at the moment?

Manu. His best days look to be behind him. Doesn't have the speed that previously made him such a threat. Still handy in gaining metres coming off our line. Defensively suspect but could do a lot better with a solid centre option starting inside him week after week. Will be on the wing next year barring injury.

Tupou. Doesn't really seem to do anything all that well. Defensively awful. Not a pure finisher. Someone who should be the 3rd-4th wing option at a club. Will probably get first shot in 2013 though.

Fish. Hate to say it but he's not a fish, he's a pussy. Will get dominated big time by wingers with more size than him. Not keen on taking dummy half runs, making the hard metres etc. Defensively unsure on how where a wing should be and what he should do. Would be a 1-2 year project to become adept at the position, but would probably still be scared. Best as a fullback back-up to Locke, who is perennially injured.

Hurrell. Not a natural winger. However has shown himself to be a good finisher close to the line. Would be a good metre eater too. His poor defensive work in the centres could become less pronounced on the wing. Rugby background so is hopefully decent under the high ball - can be taught.

Nielsen. Is an Origin-class defensive centre, which we need like a fat kid needs pudding. Wasted on the wing.

Anyone else in juniors looking decent? Seems like Scurrah needs to justify his position and do the sort of deal we got shafted on with Inu last year. Get a Goodwin, get someone who's not off contract but is surplus to requirements.

Drzoidberg

Juniors
Yeah agree meth, we've seen what Tupou has and it's minimal. He has the odd run from dummy half makes 10-20m but far to few in between, and not much else either. Even in 2010 I was pulling my hair out watching him. He's played fifty odd games but really hasn't got me interested in any of them. Awesome age grade winger. Seems to lack in most areas.

Shit I'd take paddy ah van over tupou any day. He's more like a Tupou that can kick! Rather than Goodwin, he's a bit better than that.

Who would you guys pick Ah Van over Tupou or Tupou over Ah Van?

I'd take Goodwin, absolutely. Goal-kicking winger who has played for his country. Not flashy but reasonably dependable.

The skill set for being a winger is not that huge. Be solid under the high ball, have a bit of toe, know how to finish, know defensive systems. It's not as complicated as the halves, the centres etc. So why can't we produce two or three decent ones out of his massive player pool we're supposed to have in NZ?

Tupou probably does deserve another chance. So does Manu but both were dire in 2012. We can't afford that in 2013.

Would take Bronx over Bryson any day of the week.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Anyone else in juniors looking decent? Seems like Scurrah needs to justify his position and do the sort of deal we got shafted on with Inu last year. Get a Goodwin, get someone who's not off contract but is surplus to requirements.

I thought Lolohea looked good whenever he played, but probably not ready without at least a year of Vulcans first.

Hiku and Omar are obviously gone.

Hukatai looked good but is still young and raw. One to look out for in the future obviously.

Fusitua is one that really impressed towards the end of the season, especially his finishing. Don't know much about him though so no idea how old he is or anything like that.

In any case there wasn't really anyone who jumped out and said "ready for first grade". Barring injury I'd say our wing options to start the year are Manu/Tupou/Fish or one of our centres Neilsen/Ropati/Hurrell might find themselves pushed out further.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Whatever happened to Elijah Niko. Remember him going to Melbourne but haven't heard anything on him since. Would have rather had him waiting in the wings at the vulcans over someone like Collier

Meth

Staff member
I haven't written of Fisiiahi yet. I'd love to see something done with him. The club doesn't seem to have any vision for him.

Alan Johnson

Juniors
How the hell are we not producing gun wingers... and centres for that matter. Seems to me that they should be queuing up.

Bit off-topic but I'd love to see Israel Dagg have a go at league. Would never happen of course, not while he's flying around the world pulling in big bucks as an All Black, but I reckon he'd be great. Surely he'd get a spot at wing for the Warriors.

Latest posts