What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Waiting in the Wings

ozbash

Referee
I dont mind Billy, he's safe and I think a lot of his trouble this year was the lack of a decent centre.

DJ Collier is a winger I rate, has come ahead leaps and bounds with the Vulcans..

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
If fish got a chance like Billy T did this year ( guaranteed selection despite performance) he could develop into a deadly winger IMO.. He's got the tools pace footwork jus needs some beef n mongrel.

On another note if they are looking to buy a winger rather than promote from within, could try and have a go at Fai Fai Loa, he's not really getting much of a shot at the cows

Rebel

First Grade
Im really worried about our wings for 2013Its our area of greatest concern. Tupou isn't a first graders a'hole. he has shown for two years that he isn't up to standard. Good fringe player, but thats it. manu is past it on the wing. He loses a percentage of his speed every year and NEEDS to be playing as a second rower. Fish, sucks on the wing. Maybe he needs half a season as a fulltime winger for the Vulcans and he will come right but if he has his heart set on fullback, then meh.

Theres nobody else really. Unless we buy, it's slim pickings. Adam Henry is off contract. Reeeeally inexperienced but may want to come back. Hell, lets get Francis Meli back!

Iafeta

Referee
Im really worried about our wings for 2013Its our area of greatest concern. Tupou isn't a first graders a'hole. he has shown for two years that he isn't up to standard. Good fringe player, but thats it. manu is past it on the wing. He loses a percentage of his speed every year and NEEDS to be playing as a second rower. Fish, sucks on the wing. Maybe he needs half a season as a fulltime winger for the Vulcans and he will come right but if he has his heart set on fullback, then meh.

Theres nobody else really. Unless we buy, it's slim pickings. Adam Henry is off contract. Reeeeally inexperienced but may want to come back. Hell, lets get Francis Meli back!

Strongly disagree. Bill was fairly good IMO in 2011. Regularly made good yards from dummy half, defence was sound. 2012 different story.

In terms of Fisiiahi sucking on the wing, what are we fair dinkum basing this off? He's played TWO first grade games on the wing. For a bloke who is clearly the fastest bloke we havet the club, and who would be right up there in the NRL, I'm amazed how quickly he seems to have been written off by all and sundry. There's no doubt there's a massive step up from reserve grade to first grade, but some of his try scoring streaks are out of this world. And yet it seems a lot are fairly certain on appraising Fish off 8 first grade games. Seems awfully harsh given his athletic ability. I'd like to think under a good coach, a good coach would tidy up the various weaknesses in his game.

While we're discussing Francis Meli, lets go for Justin Murphy and Sean Hoppe as well. Maybe Iva Ropati's keen to come back, perhaps Frano Botica.

hitro

Juniors
That man is Martel.

I agree, one of the few times this season you could see intent and purpose and method was the quarter that Mateo played at 6.
I would like to see him get a decent go.
TL as supersub fixit guy like Lance

tangalife

Juniors
trawl thru the union ranks. there should be a decent union player that could make the transition.

although I would say we would have to pay overs for anyone in that super rugby tier.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
We don't need union players. Look at someone like Andrew Everingham, or Ken Sio. Neither are particularly gifted players, they're never going to be GI. But the former thrived on the end of a functioning backline through hard work and a bit of finishing panache, while the latter just used a bit of speed and guts to shine out in a shit side.

There must be a thousand of those sort of guys in this country, at least in terms of physical make-up. We need to find the ones with ticker, give them the right direction and get the best out of them.

WarriorDefence

Juniors
Watching the super league final last night reminded me what a good player monaghan is- he's been scoring at better than a try a game over there- I'd make a play for him

JoeD

First Grade
One issue I have with our wings, BT in particular (which may get resolved with a new coach) is that he thinks he had a great year in 2012. How low are his expectations of himself and what kind of advice is he getting?

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
One issue I have with our wings, BT in particular (which may get resolved with a new coach) is that he thinks he had a great year in 2012. How low are his expectations of himself and what kind of advice is he getting?

I don't know if he truly thinks it. If someone from the media told me I was going alright, I'd be happy to play along with them and get a bit of undeserved PR.

Heard he was keen to come back and play for the Doggies, but he may be barking up the wrong tree with Inu and Perret being signed this year. I guess if he really wanted to come back to the NRL, we could throw him a bone.

Meth

Staff member
Heard he was keen to come back and play for the Doggies, but he may be barking up the wrong tree with Inu and Perret being signed this year. I guess if he really wanted to come back to the NRL, we could throw him a bone.

I heard he wanted to play with the Doggies

tangalife

Juniors
We don't need union players. Look at someone like Andrew Everingham, or Ken Sio. Neither are particularly gifted players, they're never going to be GI. But the former thrived on the end of a functioning backline through hard work and a bit of finishing panache, while the latter just used a bit of speed and guts to shine out in a shit side.

There must be a thousand of those sort of guys in this country, at least in terms of physical make-up. We need to find the ones with ticker, give them the right direction and get the best out of them.

Disagree. Why? Vatuvei and Meli have been the only two decent wingers we have managed to produce in the last 10 years. We are obviously wayyyy out of genuine first grade league wingers.

I would love to see Rene Ranger here, but I would imagine he would cost alot. (300k+)

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Disagree. Why? Vatuvei and Meli have been the only two decent wingers we have managed to produce in the last 10 years. We are obviously wayyyy out of genuine first grade league wingers.

I would love to see Rene Ranger here, but I would imagine he would cost alot. (300k+)

Those are the only ones the Warriors have produced. Think wider. Think the ones that have made it across the Tasman as well.

I'd be very surprised if union players of any decent standing, especially former or current All Blacks, come across in future. Instead of play in Penrose industrial area, they can live in the south of France and command around 4 times as well. SBW and Quadey wanting to hold hands at the Roosters obviously is a red herring.

I always found it amusing that Joel went from having heart warming potraits taken with dogs, to a club who is named after a breed of the k9 family that would rip his junk off if he tried that peanut butter shit with one of them.....

Perhaps it was to forcibly curb his tempations? (Gives 'Dances with wolves' a whole different spin)

Latest posts