What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wallabies have no hope

gunnamatta bay

Referee
If you listen to the media that is. Our forward pack is hopeless and the rampaging All Blacks forwards will crush us allowing their flambouyant backs to run riot, especially on a dry track. It reminds me of the World Cup when the semi was a formality according to the Kiwi press.

I happen to think they are wrong. I have seen enough to warrant a great deal of optimism.

What does everyone else think?

bayrep

Juniors
I thought the NZ media have been giving the view that it will be a very even contest. That the Aus forwards have shown great improvement from the game in Wellington. The big talking point in NZ is the flat backline that doesnt seem to be clicking.

I would say 29 - 27 to NZ.

rugged

Juniors
And surely how NZ don't score more with the huge amounts of possession that they have been securing.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Australia 18
New Zealand 19

I dunno. I think Aussie are more likely to win.

I just can't pick the score in their favour!

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
booeycollector said:
Wallabies 21
Handbags 15
Thats rich coming from someone who supports the team with the world's softest forward pack. The AB pack are the benchmark at the moment, our scrum has dominated both the Wobblies and the Boks so far this series and will do so again.

weasel

First Grade
Maybe the All Blacks will figure out how to cross the tryline more than once this game. Wallabies 25-18.

bayrep

Juniors
As long as the Wallabies stay on side we will cross the line more than once.

booeycollector

Juniors
bayrep said:
As long as the Wallabies stay on side we will cross the line more than once.

Here we go excuses even before a ball is kicked. I can't wait for the dribble if the handbags loose. :lol:

ozbash

Referee
errrrrm,,

when j o'neil was in charge
when they couldnt get a decent crowd to a s12 game

aussie rugby is in great shape at the moment imo, the crowds are turning up, the game is now front page news.
good on them, gotta be good for the sport.

meltiger

First Grade
bayrep said:
As long as the Wallabies stay on side

A kiwi whinging about another nation playing offside all the time .... LMFAO!!!

Sean Fitzpatrick was the most effective performer of offside and illegal play in the history of the game!

Let's just see who wins this one eh?

Absoloutely dominated your last two tests and beat us by a tiny margin and stole the game from Sth Africa who deserved to win it ... Australia will win this one.

ozbash

Referee
fitzy never used an illegal act in his entire career, he was the epitomy of honesty and a good kiwi bloke. :D

offside = george smiff at every ruck and maul.
jono will sort the rasta bastard :lol:

Iafeta

Referee
Kees Meeuws has the world record tries for a prop, Joe Rockocoko has the world record for most tries in a season, as for the individuals;

* Rockocoko has 24 tries from 17 test matches, the test most potent try scorer per game in test rugby history
* Doug Howlett has 34 tries from 41 test matches, I would hasten to say second only to Joe Rockocoko in test tries per test match
* Justin Marshall has 24 test tries, for a halfback pretty good
* Mils Miliaina has carved plenty of teams up from the back to set up tries
* Carlos Spencer has 14 tries from 34 tests, not bad for a first five
*Dan Carter has 165 points from 13 tests including 5 tries
* Andrew Mehrtens off the bench has an All Blacks record of 948 test points
* Tana Umaga has 28 test tries from 59 tests, not bad for a centre

I don't see how suddenly the perception of a lack of attack is fair based on their overall history at all. I wouldn't read too much into the previous two contests, don't forget Australia only scored a try off an error, South Africa's came against the run of play and they were very lucky not to have 2/3 players sitting down for constant offside and ball killing. A referee with both eyes open would have reduced the match to what, within the legalities of rugby it should have been, a 20-30 point demolition by the All Blacks. Don't forget the 50's New Zealand put on both South Africa and Australia away last year, pretty much the same team - Marshall's still there, Spencer's still there, Carter is in for Mauger and is a better goal kicker than Spencer, Umaga's still there, Rockocoko is still there, Howlett is still there, Miliaina is still there.

Compare some of the All Blacks to the Wallabies test scoring records;

Rockocoko 24 tries 17 tests 141% v Lote Tuqiri 10 tries 22 tests 45% - Rockocoko ahead by .96 tries per test
Rathbone 3 tries in 4 tests 75% v Doug Howlett 34 tries in 41 tests 83% over a far longer time span - even over a much longer time span Howlett 8% ahead of apparently the sensation Rathbone
Carter 5 tries in 13 tests 38% v Matt Giteau 7 tries in 22 tests 32% - Carter ahead by .06 tries per test
Spencer 14 tries 34 tests 41% v Steve Larkham 17 tries in 92 tests 18% - Spencer ahead by .23 tries per test
Marshall 24 tries in 74 tests or .32 tries per test, Gregan 14 tries in 79 tests or .18 tries per test

For Australia, Mortlock and Latham are ahead of their counterparts on tries per test but it certainly overall favours New Zealand quite handsomely.

I don't view New Zealand as having an overall attacking deficiency or an ability to score tries. In their first tri nations game the weather was awful and Australia certainly weren't any better, they were probably worse as their try came off a mistake not enterprise and South Africa blatantly played out of the spirit of the game. Considering the strike rates of the outside backs, if it was going to get into an outside back battle as some people hope I know where I'd be sticking my money.

Fact often disproves mislaid opinion in the long run.

choc_soldier

Coach
I sense a repeat of the 2000 classic at the same ground.

But the result will be the reversed this time... ;-)

Latest posts