What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wallace

mxlegend99

Referee
Yeah he's no match winner. But he does his job well. If Soward partners him i think we easily have that extra point in us for a draw or 2 points for a win.

Sowie would have kicked that goal at fulltime IMO. He's great in those circumstances.

mxlegend99

Referee
One off chokes dont eliminate careers full of delivering in those circumstances. No one is a guarantee ever. But i would back Sowie over Wallace in those circumstances.

roofromoz

First Grade
Wallace may have missed the shot in the end, but he did get the field goal a few minutes earlier to lock the scores up...

franklin2323

Immortal
I suggest people watch the game again... No glaring errors though.

Stuff like when we had all the ball atleast 5 times no half got it on the last. Rather then have a plan & go to it we just stumbled around with no idea.

Another thing we didn't kick to the corners pretty much every kick straight to Slater.

Perfect example we get it back to 8-6 kick early straight to Slater. To compound it we give away the penalty & they score next set.

The good teams do similar but roll it into touch instead. That type of stuff we have been doing since pre-Walsh

franklin2323

Immortal
I'm no Walsh apologist, but give the guy a break. He has moved countries and changed job all at the same time. Let him settle in and get adjusted to a new life and new team mates.

You mention Walsh or Elliott you don't get reasonable discussions....As the hatred gets in the way.

MaxPower

Juniors
I suggest people watch the game again... No glaring errors though.

Stuff like when we had all the ball atleast 5 times no half got it on the last. Rather then have a plan & go to it we just stumbled around with no idea.

Another thing we didn't kick to the corners pretty much every kick straight to Slater.

Perfect example we get it back to 8-6 kick early straight to Slater. To compound it we give away the penalty & they score next set.

The good teams do similar but roll it into touch instead. That type of stuff we have been doing since pre-Walsh

Yeah, but how are his stats?

franklin2323

Immortal
I haven't looked yet... I know he had 1 run in the 1st half may of gained a metre or 2 from it. Can't see him getting credited for any try assists.

FTR I don't think Walsh was terrible just 1 dimensional certainly had his fair share of chances. Though I can't see a certain improvement in the 7 just has pretty much a team of great players around.

I saw things today like last week we did 5 years ago. The difference was great defence that 2nd half & so good touches got us close.

betcats

Referee
Its going to be a long season if you are going to do this every game. Walsh had 5 years and some decent sides, jennings, pritchard, waterhouse, lewis, grant, mckendry, coote....its not as if he gad nothing, he copped a lot from the fans and probably it went overboard but in 5 years he had maybe 10 good games, the rest of the time he sucked.

Also billy is the best fullback for covering kicks, watch how many halfs kick it to him on the full this season, he makes them look ordinary.

FTR I think wallace was good, we look a lot more controlled and structured for the most part, he is a 100 times better at leading us. Also I still havent seen any hospital balls to avoid a tackle from wallace.

I think we missed sowards short kicking game but I think john played really well.

betcats

Referee
We just came within a ball hair of beating melbourne at home on a double milestone game for them(bellamy and storm make a really big deal of his players milestone game) and we werent even full strength. This game shows we are really improving.

murraymob

Coach
why is it you all cant just sit back and enjoy the fact the boys played well.I think they put a stat up where Melbourne had won 103 out of the last 108 games at home.We where close this time last year we would no been competitive with them.

Wallace played well its going to take time for everyone to know there roles in the team.Hopefully Grant gets a run next week Manu is not far off throw in Soward and we are getting there

benntash

Juniors
Yeah exactly. I think it was 103 out of 108 games they've won when leading at halftime at home.
FTR I think the boys played extremely well and after the loss of Soward before kickoff expected the worst. To come a conversion away from a win showed a lot of heart compared to previous seasons where we would have just given up after half time. So many times in previous seasons we have seen us play lazy, uninspired football when the chance of winning was slim. I don't see that anymore and the drive from the team to win and challenge for the full 80mins is great to see. Also Wallace is a marked improvement over Walsh. A better leader and a better organiser. He might not have the razzle and dazzle of some halves but his work rate and choices of play are far better then Walsh.
Great game last night. Fantastic effort from the boys.

mxlegend99

Referee
We needed Soward on the field to make Slater work for the ball, and when Slater was sin binned Soward is the man that would have been able to punish Storm without him. We saw last week how he makes the most of those opportunities. Knights are missing Boyd and he kicks a 40/20. If he's there last night and comes up with the same play, that's a match winner.

Not sure why people thought John would be the answer to having a running half. Last night the halves stats were:

John:
1 run / 7 metres / 0 tackle breaks
16 tacklers / 0 missed
1 kick for 13m gained

Wallace
3 runs / 28 metres / 1 tackle break
20 tackles / 1 missed
10 kicks for 257m gained

Neither had a try assist. Moylan was effectively the 5/8 in attack delivering the try assists to the wingers. He seems to be our most dangerous ball player in the opposition 20. He has a nice pass on him but the opposition know he's a danger with the ball himself. So he seems to have more time and space.

Fibroman

First Grade
and I'm back. Great effort by the boys against the Storm and once again dodgy ref decision cost us the game.

betcats

Referee
Yeah Moylan is coming along nicely, he looked dangerous and seems to take the right option more often then not, needs a bit more work defensively I think. Idris was good too, that was his first real game for a while and he seemed to be ok with the pace of the game and was strong in defense. Looking forward to seeing more of him. Taylor is a machine I think he is a chance of being captain down the line, Gus seems to think highly of him.

Panther Pete

Juniors
Its going to be a long season if you are going to do this every game. Walsh had 5 years and some decent sides, jennings, pritchard, waterhouse, lewis, grant, mckendry, coote....its not as if he gad nothing, he copped a lot from the fans and probably it went overboard but in 5 years he had maybe 10 good games, the rest of the time he sucked.

Also billy is the best fullback for covering kicks, watch how many halfs kick it to him on the full this season, he makes them look ordinary.

FTR I think wallace was good, we look a lot more controlled and structured for the most part, he is a 100 times better at leading us. Also I still havent seen any hospital balls to avoid a tackle from wallace.

I think we missed sowards short kicking game but I think john played really well.

Spot on!!

Blade23

Juniors
I find it very poor to criticize one of our players after the fighting effort displayed last night in Melbourne in the pouring rain. Previous versions of our team would have packed up at 8 nil down.
Wallace deserves time as our halfback and so far has not disappointed. Constant criticism is obviously driven by a personal vendetta.
Walsh has moved on and should be thanked for his time at the club and then be left alone to ply his trade elsewhere.
This in effect is a brand new side with 2 new halves, combinations will take time to form.
I trust the judgement of Cleary and Gould they have a plan. For the first time since John Lang left I felt proud last night after a loss.
Remember we almost beat one of the NRL benchmark teams in their own graveyard.
The boys did us proud.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
The thing is, we played well in the end, but the old Penrith would show up next week and lose to the Dogs. Hopefully, we have a bit more steel about us now.

The Dogs strength is the forwards and we'll match them there easily, they have nothing else at all. Must win game if we are to go anywhere this year.

murraymob

Coach
i agree with Umina we have no problems with games played in the forwards .We struggle with teams that throw the ball around more/Hopefully with Idris there that may help that part

Latest posts