What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wally Lewis vs Andrew Johns

Who is the better player?

• Andrew Johns

Votes: 93 63.3%
  • Wally Lewis

Votes: 54 36.7%

• Total voters

roopy

Referee
Wally played with one of the greatest club sides of all time and looked fantastic - then he went to the Gold Coast and was just embaressing.

Johns has played with some very ordinary Newcastle sides over the last 13 years - and has managed to win a very healthy percentage of games surrounded by Neville Nobodies.

In cricket teams - Wally was a 'slow track bully' meaning he really rubbed it in when he was in a dominant side, but he proved with Gold Coast that when the going gets tough - he just stands around with his hands on his hips looking grumpy - or throwing passes to where he thinks Steve Renouf would have been if he was in a decent side.

roopy

Referee
gregstar said:
maybe you could expand on this wonderful theory & tell us why wally is an immortal.
Wally was a great player - but he had the luxury of playing with guys like Meninga, Renouf, Langer and any number of other great players for his whole SOO and club career - till he played with Gold Coast.
Most Wally supporters choose to ignore the Gold Coast years - but I can tell you he would have been playing reserve grade at Souths with the form he showed when surrounded by very ordinary players. My memory of Wally at the Gold Coast is of him throwing a wonderfull 30 foot cutout pass to where he thought a winger should be - then blowing up like a little kid because the young GC boys weren't up to his speed.

If you put Johns on the park with the Cessnock Goannas he would have them winning against anyone in a month or so.

Mr Saab

Referee
Hahaha....Wally blowing up?????????
I guess you choose to ignore the amount of times Johns has "blown up" at his team mates in the past for dropping passes and making mistakes.
For the record, wally never played with Renouf.
Wally played with Mal at australia and QLD level.
Langer at all three.
Who has Johns played with at rep level? A bunch of "nevilles"?
Daley...Langer...Minichiello...Kennedy. They were/are pretty good players also.

gregstar

Referee
roopy said:
Wally was a great player - but he had the luxury of playing with guys like Meninga, Renouf, Langer and any number of other great players for his whole SOO and club career - till he played with Gold Coast.
Most Wally supporters choose to ignore the Gold Coast years - but I can tell you he would have been playing reserve grade at Souths with the form he showed when surrounded by very ordinary players. My memory of Wally at the Gold Coast is of him throwing a wonderfull 30 foot cutout pass to where he thought a winger should be - then blowing up like a little kid because the young GC boys weren't up to his speed.

If you put Johns on the park with the Cessnock Goannas he would have them winning against anyone in a month or so.
you are absolutely kidding.
the calibre of player lewis had around him at the coast weren't a patch on what johns has at his disposal.
as for johns with the cessnock goannas - i guess he'll never be able to prove your assumption so it's quite pointless making it. furthermore have you never seen johns rip into teamates?

Misty Bee

First Grade
Wally was a political immortal. How was his premiership record?

what will be so amusing is that misty will continue to scratch out an argument for the next 24 hrs straight if need be. the old bore them into submission tactic.

Not as funny as you bagging the post because it's been done to death - and becoming it's biggest contributor! :lol: :lol:

gregstar

Referee
Misty Bee said:
Wally was a political immortal. How was his premiership record?

Not as funny as you bagging the post because it's been done to death - and becoming it's biggest contributor! :lol: :lol:

end of first hour

a political immortal? bwaaaaah! hahahaahahaaahaahaahahaahaahahahaah!

fetch the alfoil hat.

you're right, it is amusing, but i can't resist seeing just how long you're determined to to stay here & rewrite history in your own conspiratorial way.

roopy

Referee
Mr Saab said:
Hahaha....Wally blowing up?????????
I guess you choose to ignore the amount of times Johns has "blown up" at his team mates in the past for dropping passes and making mistakes.
I suspect all champions will blow up when they see others not rising to their standard - but the difference is - that is all Wally had to offer at the GC - Johns will blow up and then try his guts out - Wally blew up and pouted till he got his paycheck.

gregstar

Referee
roopy said:
I suspect all champions will blow up when they see others not rising to their standard - but the difference is - that is all Wally had to offer at the GC - Johns will blow up and then try his guts out - Wally blew up and pouted till he got his paycheck.

some difference!

wally a quitter! LOL!

i see that in order to promote johns over wally you have to attempt to discredit wally's career.

says more about you roopy.

Tigertread

Juniors
So roopy did you ever seen Wally in his prime playing club football for Valleys and Wynnum and winning premierships?

roopy

Referee
Tigertread said:
So roopy did you ever seen Wally in his prime playing club football for Valleys and Wynnum and winning premierships?
Did you watch the Johns brothers play through the minor grades at Newcastle and see Andrew play his way into junior Aus sides.

gregstar

Referee
roopy said:
Did you watch the Johns brothers play through the minor grades at Newcastle and see Andrew play his way into junior Aus sides.
are you comparing the minor grades in newcastle with the qrl of the 80's?

or is your point that you were as able to see it as much as queenslanders were able to see the comp you speak of?

roopy

Referee
Wally also had a much lower workrate than Johns.
Wally would sometimes only handle the ball every second or third set, while Johns will often handle 3 or four times every set.
Wally was a bit like Fittler in that he would look for a weakness and exploit it beautifully when he had a chance - while Johns works much harder at creating opportunities to exploit.
I actually rate Fittler as good as Wally - and both about 20% behind Johns.

LESStar58

Referee
This is a terrible thread. how can you compare the two players?

The game is a lot faster and played under different rules and such nowadys.

They are both top of their game for their time.

gregstar

Referee
wally had a lower workrate? how's that?

he probably handled the ball in every set of six in every match he ever played in.

be serious roopy - you didn't actually see him play did you? because you are talking through your lower cheeks mate.

Latest posts