What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Walsh to Replace Mullen

In todays Newcastle Herald, Smith talks about the future of the no.7 Jersey.

It goes on to say that Walsh will push Mullen out of the Halfback position and back to the 5/8th Role.

Any thoughts?

roopy

Referee
single_newy_chick said:
In todays Newcastle Herald, Smith talks about the future of the no.7 Jersey.

It goes on to say that Walsh will push Mullen out of the Halfback position and back to the 5/8th Role.

Any thoughts?
Walsh is a born playmaker. Mullen hasn't completely shown it yet, but he is a natural running 5/8.
In the lower grades he was unstoppable when Walsh or Dureau created a bit of room and gave him the ball, but in the seniors he has been two small to really be the force he will be when he is fully physically developed.
I really look forward to seeing the brains of Walsh and the skill of Mullen working together again.
Sack the rest of the backline - we don't need them.

CJKnight

Juniors
That's a big call considering Mullen is the NSW halfback. It could turn into a Broncos-type arrangement where Lockyer wears the #6 but plays alot of first reciever anyway.

macavity

Referee
alot of teams switch their first and second recievers these days, or play one half either side of the ruck (when the ruck is in the middle of the park anyway)

I dont think the dogs are out of the running just yet, but there is a much clearer path to FG for walshy here....

CJKnight

Juniors
Frederick said:
...what exactly does that say? :?

Well when a team has dual-footers they usually take a separte side of the field with the left footer favoring kicking down his dominant side. I think that is also part of the reason Mullen was picked for SOO, Laurie Daily on FOX mentioned that they liked the variation. So my point being that Mullen will play alot of first reciever even if he is pushed back to 5/8. Because of the fact he and Walsh would probably split the ruck.

This is not alway the case of course. Mullen will probably play alot of second-reciever being that Walsh appears to be a born half. But it would be a big call to shove mullen into the role exclusivly considering he is NSW half/first receiver.

Burwood

Bench
christopherjon said:
But it would be a big call to shove mullen into the role exclusivly considering he is NSW half/first receiver.

What's best for NSW isn't necessarily best for Newcastle. Smith was far from subtle in today's Herald in his opinions of Walsh and Mullen. He sees Walsh as Newcastle's leading halfback and it looks as though he is going to give him a good opportunity to prove his worth.

Then again, this may just be some ego stroking in a bid to keep Walsh at the club and away from Canterbury.

EDIT: and I'm not sure why, but I had the feeling that Walsh is a lefty? Can anyone confirm his dominant foot?

Frederick

Staff member
christopherjon said:
So my point being that Mullen will play alot of first reciever even if he is pushed back to 5/8. Because of the fact he and Walsh would probably split the ruck.
But what does being left footed have to do with it? And where does Lockyer come into the equation? :?

Even if a team has two right-footed players, they still usually take separate sides of the field.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
EDIT: and I'm not sure why, but I had the feeling that Walsh is a lefty? Can anyone confirm his dominant foot?
I'm pretty sure that his dominant foot is in fact his right foot. The reason being he kicks goals right footed and kicks in general play right footed

roopy

Referee
Valea said:
can someone find a pic of walsh?
not a great pic - i blew it up from the corner of a pic of durea - this is walsh early last season playing flegg.

Untitled-TrueColor-01-2.jpg

macavity

Referee
valea - he has a similar build to my little sister.... the only reason he isn't in FG now IMO....

roopy

Referee
yes - those are the skinny legs he has broken twice in two seasons - someone told me he spends an extra 20 hours a week in the gym - doesn't show

Pika

Bench
Walsh in pre season was eating enough for two to gain weight.

The poor guy looked sick he was actually putting that much food in his mouth.

He was aiming for 80kg, he is still short of this goal.

Latest posts