What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Walsh willing to start anew for right deal

Pumba

First Grade
Walsh willing to start anew for right deal
BY JAMES GARDINERFORGOTTEN halfback Luke Walsh is prepared to cut ties with the Newcastle Knights and start afresh but only under the right circumstances.

One of the hottest No.7 prospects in the game a year ago, Walsh appears on the outer at the Knights.

After an off-season plagued by illness and injury, the emerging playmaker has been stuck in the NSW Cup and has little prospect of returning to the top grade,

Scott Dureau, who got the jump on Walsh in the off-season, signed a new two-year deal last week.

Jarrod Mullen and Kurt Gidley have also been preferred at halfback, leaving Walsh way down the pecking order.

Walsh's present deal, worth $150,000 a season, does not expire until the end of the next season, taking up a hefty slice of the Knights' salary cap.

Walsh's manager, Todd Buckingham, said though his client was happy to see out his contract, he would consider a move if the Knights brokered a deal which suited.

"If the club finds him a start on the right money and there is an opportunity there, then we would consider it 100 per cent," Buckingham said.

"He would be keen as mustard.

"We had a deal for him to go to [English Super League club] Catalans at the start of the year and the Knights would not let him go. Clubs are trading players all the time. They might be able to construct a deal where Walsh goes to them for someone else."

The Knights last week received interest in Walsh from the New Zealand Warriors, which they forwarded to his management, but talks have since broken down.

"A deal was never in place," Buckingham said.

"I spoke to the Warriors assistant coach, John Ackland, who confirmed they were looking at him and asked me to send some tapes of him.

"I ran it past Walshy, but he was not particular keen to go to New Zealand."

Knights recruitment manager Keith Onslow has refuted claims they were trying to push Walsh out, saying they had simply passed on information to his management.

A month into the season, the Knights and Bulldogs held informal talks about a switch for Walsh, but nothing came to fruition.

Though frustrated by a lack of opportunity, Buckingham said Walsh had learnt to deal with it.

"It did affect him early in the season, but he has his head around it now," Buckingham said.

"It has been going on for four or five weeks. He is pretty comfortable where he is at.

"I spoke to Brian Smith a month ago and he gave me a list of things Luke had to do.

"He has done those for the last month.

"I have been in contact with Smithy during the past couple of weeks and asked how Walshy was going and the reports were good."

Link

roopy

Referee
We have Stig.
We have Pearson.
We have Sullivan.
I'm not worried, except if we need someone this year.

Jono078

Referee
Will be interesting to see what happens if Stig can really develop his game over the next year..

His running game is awsome, especially close to the line.

roopy

Referee
Will be interesting to see what happens if Stig can really develop his game over the next year..

His running game is awsome, especially close to the line.
They had a thing about the size of players somewhere the other day, and the biggest halfback was 94kg - and Stig is 91 and growing according to profiles i've seen - altough he still looks 75kg to me.
He is bigger than Joey when he hit firstgrade, and Joey was a giant halfback.
His size is starting to show in defence too - as well as being unstoppable near the line.
I'm surprized no one has thought of giving him a try at hooker - they have given everyone else a run.

BG

Juniors
I'm not worried, except if we need someone this year.

I'd only be worried if both Dureau and Mullo go down. Dureau or Mullo with Gids or Bails sounds better to me than Walsh. We even beat the Roosters with Gids/Bails which is the worst combo because neither can kick or organise. Gids is much better in the halves than he used to be. Obviously would be ashame to take him away from fullback, but if necessary he'll offer plenty outside Dureau, or at either 6 or 7 with Mullo imho.

Anyway, it doesn't sound likely Walsh will find a mid-season deal. So he's still an alternative.

K-Man

Bench
If we did release him, I think going into season 09 with this list of options in the halves is very, very risky:

Mullen
Dureau
Gidley
Stig

That doesn't look like enough depth to me. You really don't want your fullback and best player to be switching to the halves every time either the halfback or five-eighth is missing. That could see Gidley spending 60-70% of the season away from his best position.

I don't mind Gids being considered a back up when things get desperate, but as the first alternative. Especially if the back-up fullback is Wes, that is not a good situation!

I know i keep harping on about it, but I still just can't get my ahead around why Bailey wasn't worth $170,000/season, especially now that Sargent is gone too. That really just isn't that big a chunk of the salary cap. It's just an average wage and we would look a lot less skinny in the key playmaking positions. Plus the fact he could've become a great lock with Simpson moving to the front row.

If Manly were throwing $220,000 then fine, let him go. I think if we let go of Walsh on the back of losing Bailey, and we don't bring in another decent option in the halves or a pretty handy cenre then it will be disappointing.

Pika

Bench
Hilder is our insurance at 5/8.

$170k a season is a lot of money for a back up 5/8.

K-Man

Bench
Hilder is our insurance at 5/8.

$170k a season is a lot of money for a back up 5/8.

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on this one.

In my opinion he would be a great lock, a great impact player from the bench, and a good back-up to the halves (he can slot in no matter who is missing because Mullen can be moved to halfback).

$170,000 is not much over the average wage, and he is definately an above average player.

I understand people don't like to think we would be spending money on a back-up. That's where I see things differently, a bit more like an english premier league club having a genuine quality striker very often purely as a back-up.

When you have a talented and versatile player like Bailey who can really change a game, I think it is worth paying for simply because injuries, suspensions and rep selections (and especially for us, when was the last time we had a season with not too many injuries to key players?), will always happen. It's just inevitable.

What would happen if each of the following players happened to miss a game even when everyone else was available?
1. Mullen - Bailey would come straight into five-eighth
2. Dureau - Bailey would come into five-eighth and Mullen would move to halfback
3. Hilder or De Gois - one would start at hooker and the other would be replaced on the bench by Bailey as an impact utility

Think about that. It basically means he would have an important role to play nearly every match. Teams simply don't put their best five-eighth, halfback and hooker on the field throughout a season. It doesn't happen.

How is it a waste of money when you pretty much know for certain that he would end up coming in as a 'back-up' in a high percentage of matches?

Plus the fact that he might just become a permanent lock or bench lock anyway, with Hilder moving into the starting side at hooker.

I just think the belief that we don't need him because he's an overpriced back-up is being a bit naive about the realities of a 24 match season.

If Gidley and Hilder are the first choice halves replacements for Mullen/Dureau then we will struggle for depth mark my words.

roopy

Referee
We still have Karawana as well.
He's had a few injuries, but he has firstgrade experience and he is getting bigger and stronger by the year, and is four or five years younger than bailey.

Pika

Bench
I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on this one.

In my opinion he would be a great lock, a great impact player from the bench, and a good back-up to the halves (he can slot in no matter who is missing because Mullen can be moved to halfback).

$170,000 is not much over the average wage, and he is definately an above average player.

I understand people don't like to think we would be spending money on a back-up. That's where I see things differently, a bit more like an english premier league club having a genuine quality striker very often purely as a back-up.

When you have a talented and versatile player like Bailey who can really change a game, I think it is worth paying for simply because injuries, suspensions and rep selections (and especially for us, when was the last time we had a season with not too many injuries to key players?), will always happen. It's just inevitable.

What would happen if each of the following players happened to miss a game even when everyone else was available?
1. Mullen - Bailey would come straight into five-eighth
2. Dureau - Bailey would come into five-eighth and Mullen would move to halfback
3. Hilder or De Gois - one would start at hooker and the other would be replaced on the bench by Bailey as an impact utility

Think about that. It basically means he would have an important role to play nearly every match. Teams simply don't put their best five-eighth, halfback and hooker on the field throughout a season. It doesn't happen.

How is it a waste of money when you pretty much know for certain that he would end up coming in as a 'back-up' in a high percentage of matches?

Plus the fact that he might just become a permanent lock or bench lock anyway, with Hilder moving into the starting side at hooker.

I just think the belief that we don't need him because he's an overpriced back-up is being a bit naive about the realities of a 24 match season.

If Gidley and Hilder are the first choice halves replacements for Mullen/Dureau then we will struggle for depth mark my words.

You make good points mate.

I woulkd have liked to have kept him as well.

If we could find a spot in the top 17 for him, $170k is certainly not overs for his quality.

roopy

Referee
Stig is the man.

Peerson makes walsh look big.

Sullivan is how old, 15?
Yeah - Stig is the only guy who might be ready next season if they give him a full off season with the firstgrade squad - but his partner in crime, Wyborn, seems to be hitting some form as well. Wyborn is just a big lock forward type 5/8, but Smithy doesn't seem to mind that.

otori

Juniors
It is a bit worrying because when Bailey left a lot of people said that we've got the depth to cover his loss but now Walsh is (probably) leaving as well.

BTW Someone said Sarge was leaving .... is that official now?

otori

Juniors
Yeah he has signed with Castleford and is waiting for a Visa so he can fly out

Last section of the link below
http://theherald.yourguide.com.au/n...ague/kurt-cleared-and-ready-to-go/781457.aspx

Surely we must have a fair bit of money left over for next year then?? We're losing Buderus, Bailey, Sargent, possibly Walsh and possibly McDougall and we've only signed De Gois and that Mika kid. Even with resigning Scotty, Aku and Royal surely there'd be about 200-300k left?

General Knight

Juniors
Surely we must have a fair bit of money left over for next year then?? We're losing Buderus, Bailey, Sargent, possibly Walsh and possibly McDougall and we've only signed De Gois and that Mika kid. Even with resigning Scotty, Aku and Royal surely there'd be about 200-300k left?

Maybe Smithy has plans to go on a spending spree for next year. Star centre maybe?

reginald.p

Juniors
Joel Moon would be good he can play in the centres or at 5/8 if there are injuries.

This is the reason why i think we didn't offer Bailey a 150k contract. The only way we are going to win a premiership next year is if Mullen and Gidley are both fit and ready to play at the end of the season. But if one or both is injured and we have Bailey as their replacement then we can't win the gf. So if our season is over anyway if Mullen or Gidley is injured then what does it matter if we have Bailey or Karawana or stig as a backup.

aqua_duck

Coach
Would be stoked with Joel Moon but I'd be very surprised if we got him. I mean we enquired about heignington, so chances are we've definately got money for 1 or 2 new signings

Yosh

Coach
Would be good for Warriors if they got Walshy... Always felt they needed a nice young talented half to guide them, probably could do wonders. Walshy could zip around the bigger players try this and that, build a good combo, get his NZ citizinship and play for NZ... Man my mind wonders off sometimes