What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WARL Results

joondalup_giant

Staff member
1st grade

South Perth 84 - Fremantle 10
Joondalup 8 - Sharks 56
North Beach - bye

Reserve Grade

East 0 - North Beach 20
South Perth 28 - Fremantle 0
Joondalup 10 - Sharks 36

some close games in 1st grade.......

fieldo

Juniors
Bit better this weekend with Souths just beating Norths and Fremantle just beating Joondalup.

Still need that sixth team in first grade. Why does a club who have two sides in GF one year fail to field a side in 2004?

Big game this weekend between the Sharks and Souths.

joondalup_giant

Staff member
A number of reasons for that fieldo 1. There seems to be a lot of rugby league players now going to rugby union. 2. Money.

I saw the Gaints & Freo game and it was about 3rd standard, very poor both sides tried hard but a lot of very simple mistakes by both sides .

Neither side will be able to match it with North Beach & South Perth.

The WARL need to look at this as it is a real concern and also the Under 18 comp. only 4 sides with 1 game each week end 2 sides had a bye - crazy stuff.

fieldo

Juniors
Presidents meeting tonight and I am sure the above will be a hot topic....... who do you blame?

I think its hard for the WARL to foresee something like what happened to Bulldogs.

Yes it costs to field sides but it a double edged sword.....no first grade limited sponsors......nothing for youngsters to aim for...etc etc..

You have to have a structure.

Fremantle have picked up a couple of useful players in the last week.....might just surprise a few sides if they get lucky.

Under 18 competition is a struggle but we have a side at Rockingham which we will see get stronger next year......its been a long term thing for us since 2001 which has cost money, time, and resources.

joondalup_giant

Staff member
Good points Fieldo , but there seems to be a real luck of direction at present in WA. The clubs are as much to blame for letting it get like this, but also the WARL do not want to listen at all.

Freo will strangle even with those 2 new players as I said no match for North Beach or South Perth - hence the score line in round 1 .

Rockingham are doing well and over the next few years should devlop into a force with there juniors coming through, but it will not happen over night.

The overall numbers at clubs must be down judging by the number of junior sides playing - the 16 only have 5 sides. perhaps we need to look at the age groups again. To see why so many so many are leaving our game between 16 - 18 .

If you go to rugby union on any saturday you will see those 16 - 18 year olds playing union instead of league. when you ask them why - they say the following reasons.
1. a 8 team competion - which is much better that a 4/ 5 team comp
2. Better set up WARU
3 . better club set up.
to me me rugby union is like rugby league was 10 years ago , were did it all go wrong. - naturaly we blame the Reds but a lack of vision has not helped.

Good luck at the meetng to night let us know the out come.

Goldthorpe

Bench
Apparently Eastern Bulldogs have 6 byes in a row in reserve grade.

Yet Armadale arent professional enough to play a reserve grade side, after belting (literally belting) Willagee on the weekend 62-16, they could possibly run 3rd in first grade i think

While im at it, i posted some time ago about the direction of the WARL.

The Armadale 14's played Joondalup @ Willagee this round - Whos home game is it?

Here is our fixture's for the year.....

1 @ Centenary Park Vs North Beach Lost 42-32
2 @ Webber Reserve Vs Joondalup Won 32-18
3 @ Pries Park Vs Joondalup
4 @ Dowling Reserve Vs Southern
5 BYE
6 @ Charles Riley Reserve Vs North Beach
7 @ Admiral Reserve Vs Joondalup
8 @ Charles Riley Reserve Vs North Beach
9 @ George Burnett Park Vs South Perth
10 BYE
11 @ Charles Riley Reserve Vs North Beach
12 @ Dowling Reserve Vs Southern
13 @ Centenary Park Vs Joondalup
14 @ Centenary Park Vs South Perth
15 BYE

1 home game out of 12 (Round 3), how does that work out??

joondalup_giant

Staff member
what team do u play for? and i think they've stuffed the fixtures on the site and only just fixing it now because the under 18's draw wasnt looking right but they changed it 2day

Adam

fieldo

Juniors
Armadale ..........3rd in first grade.......you would be surprised.

No disrespect but first grade is a little bit different then running around in thirds. Ask last years Coastal Cowboys side what it was like playing reserve grade....they missed the finals.

Willagee have not the team this year and you only beat Rockingham because they thought Joondalup were going to play their first grade in the reserves, we played at Joondalup-travel bug got us, so hence had to ensure reserves had full team and thirds had no backup on bench.......

The Armadale team is big and will be hard to toss once they get fit.....but first grade 3rd place....sorry not likely.

But I pick them and us in the Grand Final of third grade which is a good start for 2004.

fieldo

Juniors
Pretty positive Presidents meeting.

The WARL has asked for submissions from all clubs re: addressing the short falls of the competition (solutions not critiscm).

This club will be forwarding our ideas addressing no doubt a number of issues and providing what we think are solutions to a couple of problems.

Obviously very disappointed about the Bulldogs no show especially after they raided our club last season of a number of quality players.......who knows how our side would have gone with those 5 players. Money is obviuosly a problem with some of their players.

New draw for the under 18's coming out this week with them playing games every week.

Positives: Under19 side that will be playing before the second state of Origin although they will need to send a good side as these guys playing in this side are no mugs....my mail from Queensland.

Vote of confidence in Geoff (Chairperson)was a good showing too considering the battering they have cope.....

I still think personally they need to ensure all clubs have good admin and are based in a growth area.......not too close to other clubs and definately not in the centre of an industrial/old area.

I have a numberr of ideas/and so does my committee......now just need the time to put them forward.

I am open to ideas from this forum too....so if you want to set up a page with ideas...and solutions...not criticism I will attempt to past these on with our submission.

Cheers :D

Goldthorpe

Bench
fieldo said:
Armadale ..........3rd in first grade.......you would be surprised.

No disrespect but first grade is a little bit different then running around in thirds. Ask last years Coastal Cowboys side what it was like playing reserve grade....they missed the finals.

Willagee have not the team this year and you only beat Rockingham because they thought Joondalup were going to play their first grade in the reserves, we played at Joondalup-travel bug got us, so hence had to ensure reserves had full team and thirds had no backup on bench.......

The Armadale team is big and will be hard to toss once they get fit.....but first grade 3rd place....sorry not likely.

But I pick them and us in the Grand Final of third grade which is a good start for 2004.

Your probably right fieldo, 3rd is probably over the top, but with out a doubt, will win both Reserves and Metro for sure.

What club are you from?

joondalup_giant

Staff member
Under 18's
Joondalup 28 - North Beach 34

Fairly good game, we were missing 6 of our players, so had to play the whole game with one player on the bench, North Beach capitalised on our stand still defense in the 1st half. The second half was a differnt story with us dominating them every time we got the ball, but silly mistakes cost us the game..... next week South Perth at home ( Admiral Reserve, Heathridge).

fieldo

Juniors
Rockingham Under 18's score 4 tries to South perths 1 in second half and went down 38 to 24. We had 11 players at the start of secnd half (started with 13) and still just about beat them ...they had 13 plus full bench.

Sad to see two Rockingham players playing for South Perth as at the end of the year they are going to be the first team out of the finals after that showing.......the Sharks will improve!!!! :mrgreen:

fieldo

Juniors
Aaron Pope
Chris Clark

Are the two players who played for Rockingham that are playing now with Souths.
Chris lives in Warnbro/Safety bay while Aaron has played 148 games for us but left this year.

Goldthorpe

Bench
fieldo said:
Aaron Pope
Chris Clark

Are the two players who played for Rockingham that are playing now with Souths.
Chris lives in Warnbro/Safety bay while Aaron has played 148 games for us but left this year.

Souths up to there usual tricks again?