What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warne Vs Murali

Lego_Man

First Grade
Come off it TH - we know your go. Your constant rants against the generally accepted opinion just for the sake of it become tiresome after a while.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
LOL

I tend to find that the less coherent arguments people have against my opinions (and they are real opinions), the more annoying my opinions become.

If the best you can come up with in this thread is to bag me then that says a lot about your argument.

I don't see how I am going against "generally accepted opinion" when Wisden named Murali the #1 bowler of all time.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Thierry Henry said:
LOL

I tend to find that the less coherent arguments people have against my opinions (and they are real opinions), the more annoying my opinions become.

If the best you can come up with in this thread is to bag me then that says a lot about your argument.

I don't see how I am going against "generally accepted opinion" when Wisden named Murali the #1 bowler of all time.
LOL, good ole Wisden. That was based purely on the fact that Sri Lanka have had no others bowlers except Vaas to take wickets. I believe Hadlee was no.2, for the same reason Murali was no.1.

And wasn't Warne one of Wisen's 5 cricketers of the century? Make your mind up Wisden!

MusTarD

Juniors
waltzing Meninga said:
I disagree. Warne makes more time for Fans, Tsunami victims, and charities than any other player in the Australian team. I will never forget at the SCG about 3 years ago watching him warm up in the nets and a young boy with down sindrome was yelling out to him "go warny" etc. Warne went over to him and started talking to him and every time he bowled a ball he would ask him " how was my line there?: or "a bit too short mate?" The bloke was so excited you could see it on his face. Saying he is sub-human is going way too far.

Sure he has had his women/sex problems but I think that is a problem that should be left to himself and his wife. The bloke is a true champion.

So you obviously dont remember the time warney walked up to the kid that took the photo of him smoking when he was being paid as a form of advertising to go without smoking for a few months and demanded the photo and the camera off the kid and told him where to go.. ?

True top bloke.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Tommy Smith said:
And wasn't Warne one of Wisen's 5 cricketers of the century? Make your mind up Wisden!

Exactly! There is a reason why he was too. He is the greatest bowler that has ever lived. There are few people who can call themselves "great" but WARNE can! He revolutionised spin bowling! All Murali did is "legalised" illegal bowling for crying out loud!:roll:

JJ

Immortal
Tommy Smith said:
LOL, good ole Wisden. That was based purely on the fact that Sri Lanka have had no others bowlers except Vaas to take wickets. I believe Hadlee was no.2, for the same reason Murali was no.1.

Anyone who saw Hadlee from 85-88 knows they saw a quick bowler that was as close to perfect as you'll ever see...

lockyno1 said:
Exactly! There is a reason why he was too. He is the greatest bowler that has ever lived. There are few people who can call themselves "great" but WARNE can! He revolutionised spin bowling! All Murali did is "legalised" illegal bowling for crying out loud!:roll:

Well said

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
lockyno1 said:

There was also a reason Wisden named Murali the #1 bowler ever. I believe it was due to a much closer statistical scrutiny than the ones offered in this thread. Not that I necessarily agree, I'm just trying to convey the point that Murali and Warne are very close.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Thierry Henry said:
There was also a reason Wisden named Murali the #1 bowler ever. I believe it was due to a much closer statistical scrutiny than the ones offered in this thread. Not that I necessarily agree, I'm just trying to convey the point that Murali and Warne are very close.

Yeah but one got the rules changed so he could even be remotely close:roll:

There is always going to ba a black cloud over Murali's career because of the contraversy surrounding his bowling. The fact that he got the rules changed and has taken many wickets with what has proven to be an illegal delivery, shows that he cannot truly be considered a great. He may have great statistics etc etc, but he will never go down as a legend of the game like Warney.

lockyno1

Post Whore
waltzing Meninga said:
There is always going to ba a black cloud over Murali's career because of the contraversy surrounding his bowling. The fact that he got the rules changed and has taken many wickets with what has proven to be an illegal delivery, shows that he cannot truly be considered a great. He may have great statistics etc etc, but he will never go down as a legend of the game like Warney.

BINGO!

JJ

Immortal
waltzing Meninga said:

while I agree about the rule changes etc... of course he will go down as a legend of the game...

Warne IMO rates higher, but his career is not without controversy either...

JJ said:
while I agree about the rule changes etc... of course he will go down as a legend of the game...

Warne IMO rates higher, but his career is not without controversy either...

But Warne's contraversy didn't allow him to enhance his cricket performance. Murali's contraversy is the reason he has taken so many wickets. It is quite likely that without his "unusual" and controversial technique he may not have taken half the wickets he has today.

If Warney hand't have shagged every chick in England, he still would have taken the same amount of wickets.

Timbo

Staff member
If the umpires that had rubbed bowlers like Ian Meckiff out of the game were still around today, Murali'd have been a one test wonder. Simple as that.

JJ

Immortal
waltzing Meninga said:
But Warne's contraversy didn't allow him to enhance his cricket performance. Murali's contraversy is the reason he has taken so many wickets. It is quite likely that without his "unusual" and controversial technique he may not have taken half the wickets he has today.

If Warney hand't have shagged every chick in England, he still would have taken the same amount of wickets.

I agree on Murali - but that's another story..

As far as Warne goes, the controversies are many, but he was banned for a year for taking a banned substance, a substance that is commonly used to mask the use of other banned performace enhancing substances... all I'll say is that that is also a fairly big and dark cloud...

dice

Juniors
JJ said:
I agree on Murali - but that's another story..

As far as Warne goes, the controversies are many, but he was banned for a year for taking a banned substance, a substance that is commonly used to mask the use of other banned performace enhancing substances... all I'll say is that that is also a fairly big and dark cloud...

Yeah, Warne was a supreme athlete during his steroid taking days, unlike his recent poor performances during the ashes.

Latest posts