What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warne Vs Murali

J-Man

Juniors
If you asked every cricket expert in the world to pick an all time team, and gave them a choice of Warne or Murali, I'm sure the vast majority would pick Warne.

Warne seems to have an intangible quality that inspires fear among oppposition teams. While other teams may respect Murali, I don't think there is the same fear.

I could be wrong bu that's how it seems to me.

JJ

Immortal
El Diablo said:
never took steroids

I never said he took steroids, just that he was banned for using an illegal substance that is commonly used to mask steroid use... (I didn't even mention that this corresponded with a noticeable change in his body shape...)

As far as all-time teams go, Warne would probably be picked in most - but there are a range of options as your spinner... off the top of my head, Warne, Murali, O'Reilly, Grimmett, Laker, Underwood - I'm sure there are many more - I'd suggest that being considered is the measure of true greatness - while I'd probably pick Warne, that's biased by the fact that I've seen him bowl - O'Reilly and Grimmett were clearly very great too - different wickets etc, but their records stack up well...

JJ said:
I never said he took steroids, just that he was banned for using an illegal substance that is commonly used to mask steroid use... (I didn't even mention that this corresponded with a noticeable change in his body shape...)

As far as all-time teams go, Warne would probably be picked in most - but there are a range of options as your spinner... off the top of my head, Warne, Murali, O'Reilly, Grimmett, Laker, Underwood - I'm sure there are many more - I'd suggest that being considered is the measure of true greatness - while I'd probably pick Warne, that's biased by the fact that I've seen him bowl - O'Reilly and Grimmett were clearly very great too - different wickets etc, but their records stack up well...

Even if he did take steroids how is that going to him him bowl leg spin????? All it would have done is help him recover a little quicker from injury. It may help a pace bowler bowl faster but it doesn't help you put the ball on a 5c peice every ball or spin the ball sideways

JJ

Immortal
waltzing Meninga said:
Even if he did take steroids how is that going to him him bowl leg spin????? All it would have done is help him recover a little quicker from injury. It may help a pace bowler bowl faster but it doesn't help you put the ball on a 5c peice every ball or spin the ball sideways

the point is, it's illegal, as is what he took...

Murali's action (although I disagree, for the record) has been deemed legal - so if we cut to the chase, they both has question marks over them...

That being the case, I'll vote for Grimmett above both of them, I mean he was a Kiwi after all!!!

dice

Juniors
lol. The steroids bit was a wind up on my part. Just making the point that even if the diuretics were used to mask steroids that would have had little effect on his bowling performance as witnessed with Warnie's recent form.

dice

Juniors
JJ said:
Murali's action (although I disagree, for the record) has been deemed legal

It was deemed illegal and then the rule was change by the ICC because "if the bowling arm is bent less than 15 degrees the human eye cannot detect it". :roll:

Notice how the ICC contradict themselves by no longer allow more tolerance for pace bowlers. Corrupt bastards.

JJ

Immortal
dice said:
It was deemed illegal and then the rule was change by the ICC because "if the bowling arm is bent less than 15 degrees the human eye cannot detect it". :roll:

Notice how the ICC contradict themselves by no longer allow more tolerance for pace bowlers. Corrupt bastards.

I agree entirely with you, and am to some extent playing devil's advocate...

But Warne is clouded by drugs (he's a tosser too, but that's not relevant), and Murali's action has been cleared...

I still go for Grimmett!! that's 2 kiwi's in my greatest all-time team!! :D

JJ

Immortal
I agree... but it's semantics - cleared, changed rules, whatever... he's not going anywhere, so we just need to get over it

Lego_Man

First Grade
They changed the rules to accomodate his chucking...that's fact. And they only did so because of the powerful Asian lobby within the ICC. In my opinion it was the biggest crock ever.

El Diablo

Post Whore
JJ said:
I agree... but it's semantics - cleared, changed rules, whatever... he's not going anywhere, so we just need to get over it

big difference in clearing and changing rules. Before the rules were changed Murali was risking a ban if he bowled his doosra.

aussies1st

Staff member
They made some excuse that when quick bowlers bowl bouncers they are over the angle. I don't know how this could be a problem as we never had a problem before.

sanjane

Juniors
the only Australian bowler within the desired limit was S. Warne. McGrath, gillespie & Lee were all over the 10 degrees...

So, provided no rule change occurred, sure Murali may not have been able to bowl his magical doosra, but your three best quicks (at that time) could've been banned.......

That's FACT, unlike the idiots that say the rule was changed simply for the great Murali...the best bowler in Wisden's opinion.

El Diablo

Post Whore
LOL

You can't prove that as they were never tested and that ICC championship thing is BS so don't try and use it.

And guess who was missing from that anyway?

AJK07

Juniors
El Diablo said:
LOL

You can't prove that as they were never tested and that ICC championship thing is BS so don't try and use it.

And guess who was missing from that anyway?

can u prove to me that shane warne has a dick...

some things you just have to believe...

TheParraboy

Staff member
Murali has taken 3 bangers wickets (1st innings) in the 2nd test

takes him to 561, ...62 behind Warne

SL 9/457dec
191, 3/107 (no wickets to Murali yet)

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Did you guys not watch the super slow-mo replays during the Ashes? Slowed down to that speed it's pretty obvious that every pace bowler chucks if you apply the rules strictly.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Thierry Henry said:
Did you guys not watch the super slow-mo replays during the Ashes? Slowed down to that speed it's pretty obvious that every pace bowler chucks if you apply the rules strictly.

Yeah but Murali does it 100 times worse!:roll:

sanjane

Juniors
lockyno1 said:
Yeah but Murali does it 100 times worse!:roll:

That's bias speaking...

Murali's off break is <5 degrees. His doosra is abt 10 degrees.

Most pacebowlers including all of yours vary between 10 and 15 (maybe more, but that's my bias speaking...) degrees.

lockyno1

Post Whore
sanjane said:
That's bias speaking...

Murali's off break is <5 degrees. His doosra is abt 10 degrees.

Most pacebowlers including all of yours vary between 10 and 15 (maybe more, but that's my bias speaking...) degrees.

10 degrees! FFS you are kidding! If that is 10 then brett lee's and shoaib aktar is as straight as anything. The results were fixed. There is no way it is 10 degrees at all. But becuase he is so "important" for the sub-continental cricket he continues to play, even though he bends his arm closer to 20 degrees! They won't ban him becuase SL would be rubbish and it is a big cricket market! I have done a measurement of Murali's action in 98' when I did a assessment for PE, and I attemped to measure him along with others. Now I got the results and the degrees was around 21 for the one he "rips" or spins a long way. I t is beyond a joke that he is even allowed to bowl!