What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warnes suspension

madas

Juniors
I cant see why he should have got anything. If being stupid is a crime these days then hands up those who have never done something stupid? Everyone knows that he is a bit of an idiot, I hope he wins his appeal and it is not influenced by that wanker dick pound.

imported_midas

Juniors
No doubt that the panel was influenced by the bleating of the Canadian Dick.Talk about innocent until proven guilty.
There apparently is a submission to go before a conference in Copenhagen next week which,if approved,will give Pounds committe,WADA or whatever,the right to appeal and override any decisions they don,t agree with.
This WADA is apparently a branch of the IOC.Imagine giving that sort of power to the most corrupt sporting body on earth.
Pound ,whose chequered political career has had a few setbacks in recent years is obviously trying to reposition himself as a major player in the IOC and is not real fussy how he does it.

El Duque

Bench
Another typical piss poor bowling display by MacGill in the ING final.

10 overs and 0 for 48.

I hope he never plays for Aus iny form of cricket especially one dayers.

J

Johnsy

It seems that they have tried to please everyone except warney, it was a neither here nor there suspension. I did love the line "I am a victim of anti-doping hysteria" of course you are Shane, of course you are. Take some responsibility for your actions.

Johnsy

El Duque

Bench
I dare say if some of these people hadn't open their moths he may of got off.

I read today Sam Riley said he should be banned. Who the f**k is she to talk when she got nothing for testing positive todrugs.

J

Johnsy

I have just come across the full statement from Warney, I had a couple of comments about it, please feel free to add any you have.

<span>"First of all I'd like to say that I am absolutely devastated and very upset at the committee's decision suspending me for 12 months and I will appeal. I feel that I am a victim of the anti-doping hysteria. I also want to repeat: I have never taken any performance enhancing drugs and I never will (The diuretic you took is not a performance enhancing drug). <span></span>My shoulder comeback was exactly as my surgeon and physio predicted. <span></span>I am proud of the dedication I have shown in my rehabilitation and fitness regime over the past 12 months (Give the man credit where it is due ). <span></span>The tablet I took on the 21st of January was a fluid tablet. I did not know it as a diuretic, I knew it as a fluid tablet. <span></span>(Who is responsible for checking what he takes, he is a professional athlete for pete's sake)<span> </span>I feel that a 12 months' suspension is very harsh penalty for not checking what I took with anyone. I have never blamed my mum (His first reaction to say that his mum gave it to him, no-one has blamed your mum shane, or maybe he has some resentment there?) I thought it was important to clarify where the tablet came from. <span></span>It had nothing to do with cricket or trying to mask anything (You cannot use ignorance as a defence). It had to do with appearance (Is he serious?) . <span></span>Playing for Australia and Victoria is my love and I would never knowingly put that in jeopardy. I love playing cricket too much. <span></span>To the Australian team, you don't need me to win the World Cup (I was not aware anyone had even mentioned that they neededhim to win it, obviously someone was thinking that way). <span></span>You have the talent, the passion and the desire to bring the Cup back to all of us here in Australia. <span></span>In finishing, I'd like to say a big thank you to my family and my teammates and to all my friends who have sent me messages and supported me in this very difficult time. <span></span>Once again could you please respect the privacy of my family and especially my children (fair enough call to respect his families privacy, but jeesus Warney keep popping up in the headlines and it makes it hard for the journo’s to just that)."</span> <span></span> <span>&lt;o:p>For a statement at the beginning of a 12 month ban it is pretty vague, I can only Imagine that is because of the appeal that will be lodged. This may well be the sad end to an outstanding career, but looking at his past was it ever going to finish any other way ?&lt;/o:p></span> <span>&lt;o:p>&lt;/o:p></span> <span>&lt;o:p>Johnsy&lt;/o:p></span> <span>&lt;o:p>&lt;/o:p></span>

O

ozbash

johnsy.... mate. :)

warne reckons he is going to appeal. he has to have grounds to appeal or else he is looking at a tougher sentence.
anti-doping hysteria (in warnies humble opinion) is not grounds for an appeal.
he has insulted the committee that has sentenced him and if he pushes his luck.....

warne is playing on the emotions of his fans and supporters.

he is hoping for a backlash against the panel/tribunal.

its bloody silly to an outsider.
he was sprung using a banned drug.

he has played pro sport for over a decade and would know the rulebook inside out.

only warne knows if he used a performance enhancing drug (ok, maybe his mum might).no-one else would,he used a blocker!

his past history shows the outsider what sort of a person he really is.. without using the emotive adoration some people suffer from,s.k.warne is a ratbag. a cheat and has totally discredited his sport and his country.

he has also hurt his fans.

J

Johnsy

Oz, how are things champ?

Just because he is a friend of Eddie's he wants another lifeline. As fatty would sya he's gooooooone!!

Johnsy

(The diuretic you took is not a performance enhancing drug)

Correct. But...
Diuretics are abused by athletes to reduce weight quickly in sports where weight categories are involved to meet specific guidelinesand to reduce the concentration of prohibited substances by diluting urine.
Now I'm not saying that Warney falls under this catagory (because the weight catagory I don't believe was mandatory by the Aussie team as he stated he was just doing it for sponsorship reasons,or that he was masking another banned performance enhancing substance), but this is the reason why the IOC and manyother world sporting governing bodies have banned the use of diuretics and placed it on the Performance Enhancing Drugs List.
It may not assist in enhancing performance directly, but indirectly it's another story.
I'm not trying to open a can of worms. Just stating facts.
'fan-baller

Good post Baller.
I don't understand Warne's thinking based on this story from Foxsports:
http://foxsports.news.com.au//story/0,8659,6024841-23209,00.html
Dieretics are a band-aid solution to the weightloss problem. It's all water loss because this is what diuretics does. That's way bodybuilders will often take them right before a show to flush the last bit of water from thier muscles to give them the "ripped" appearence.
Why was Warne so desperate to lose weight practically overninght? Given that this is what diuretics does.
Stupid!
Cheers - Aaron C

imported_midas

Juniors
El D
come on ,mate .MacGill bowled better than that ,could have had fourfer-thats the way he bowls.The unarguable fact is that Stuey is the second-best wrist spinner in the game.He will play a major role in the Windies where they don,t like it turning away from the bat and also in the tests next summer.Had he not been unlucky enough to be born in the same era as Warne, he would be a 300-wicket bowler.

imported_JoeD

Juniors
Warney'sexcuse for giving info to bookies : I was stupid and naive.
Warney's excuse for leaving dirty messages on a phone that did not belong to his wife : I was stupid and naive.
Warney's excuse for taking banned drugs : I was stupid and naive.

How many times does he expect to use that excuse and get away with it?

imported_midas

Juniors
Joe
They are not excuses-just statements of fact and,in all three cases ,who can argue?
Most of us have probably been stupid and naive more than once in our lives.

O

ozbash

i think joes onto it.
cept its not warne who is stupid and naive,he,s a cunning bastard.
its his blinkered lot of followers for believing the crap he,s feeding them.

if his name was mcdougall,they would want his hide (xcept roopy)

imported_midas

Juniors
ozbash
Cunning? He,s just copped 12 months supension which carries with it,in his case,a financial penalty of $A800,000 upwards.what ,s cunning about that?

imported_JoeD

Juniors
He didn't get 2 years :(

Midas, the way I understand if you are found to be taking illegal drugs there are 2 categories of punishment. One is 'exceptional circumstances' which is stuff like being under general anasthetic at the time the drug was administered. However there is still a penalty for this and that is a3 month suspension. Obviously Warney didn't fall into this category because he got longer than 3 months. However the other category is 'everything else' and the minimum suspension in this category is 2 years. Obviously Warney doesn't fall into this section either because he got less than 2 years. He's cunning because he managed to get them to create a new category just for him when they gave him a 1 year suspension

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Lay the boot in lads... its easier when a bloke's down.:)

"The question now is will he come back in a years time?"
Good question. We'll have to wait to see how his appeal goes... I didn'tthink his press release comments was the smartest thing to do.. but then again, as good as he he is on the pitch,Warney has never beenthe full quid.
He could retire now.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
NEWS:

Hauritz has been named as Warne's replacement.

Warne has released another statement saying that he is reconsidering his decision to appeal the decision. Reckons its because he is concerned about how the publicity will impact on his family.