What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors 'Close' to deal with Matai - in talks with White & Blair

Blake

Juniors
What a massive mistake this will make if it eventuates. Does his style and mentality even match the Warriors?

At least when he gets injured or suspended the Warriors will be use to playing with their top players out.

Micistm

Bench
I'm not believing anything until it's official. After all SBW re-signed with the Doggies and pledged allegience...;-)

IMO the longer it goes on the more it seems he's hanging out to see what Manly can do to keep him. TBH I'm not that fussed either way in regard to the signing. He's a good player no doubt I'm just not sure if centres are what Warriors should be aiming for at the mo

ozreece77

Juniors
I'm not believing anything until it's official. After all SBW re-signed with the Doggies and pledged allegience...;-)

IMO the longer it goes on the more it seems he's hanging out to see what Manly can do to keep him. TBH I'm not that fussed either way in regard to the signing. He's a good player no doubt I'm just not sure if centres are what Warriors should be aiming for at the mo

yeh, I've been thinking the same thing. Are we really totally happy with our 6 and 7 situation? what if we have an injury to Maloney and look at how seymour has gone this year. We are up to round 18 and how many games did we get out of him so far? 5 or 6?
When you think we could get someone along the likes of a Kimmorley, Orford or Finch to mentor our young guys like John and Johnson, maybe we should be considering those guys since they should be on the market. Even if we only sign them for a season or 2.

Skinner

Coach
I'd be a bit worried about Whatz' head space, but I still put Steve ahead of him.

Last edited:

Micistm

Bench
yeh, I've been thinking the same thing. Are we really totally happy with our 6 and 7 situation? what if we have an injury to Maloney and look at how seymour has gone this year. We are up to round 18 and how many games did we get out of him so far? 5 or 6?
When you think we could get someone along the likes of a Kimmorley, Orford or Finch to mentor our young guys like John and Johnson, maybe we should be considering those guys since they should be on the market. Even if we only sign them for a season or 2.

I'm guttd about Seymour. I'd love to see what Seymour & Maloney could have done this year if given time to combine, we could've been making some critics look stupider than they do now

Skinner

Coach

For me, no more old timers here to pick up their superannuation cheque. They bought Wiki and Price for their experience in the dusk of their careers. They are still no closer to winning a premiership....in fact, they look light years away from it.

Time to stop buying mentors and start buying young class ah la Maloney.

Micistm

Bench
For me, no more old timers here to pick up their superannuation cheque. They bought Wiki and Price for their experience in the dusk of their careers. They are still no closer to winning a premiership....in fact, they look light years away from it.

Time to stop buying mentors and start buying young class ah la Maloney.

I agree with that for sure, young talent to build to the prize. And to stop giving away our good young ones to buy Aussie hand me downs.

Hasler had the five year plan at Manly, and did the bizz.

IMO I am really not sure why your club is pursuing Blair and White...your forward pack is strong and there are some good youngsters coming through.

Matai is a strong player but his discipline is a worry but he would also come with experience which counts for a lot.

joseph1

Juniors
Matai could be awesome for the warriors. Hes a top centre. Always involved and freaks out the opposition with his big hits. Put Matulino on his side to.

ozbash

Referee
IMO I am really not sure why your club is pursuing Blair and White...your forward pack is strong and there are some good youngsters coming through.

Matai is a strong player but his discipline is a worry but he would also come with experience which counts for a lot.

totally agree mate, Blair might be ok but he's a penalty magnet and I doubt he would fit in (we got rid of Hame and Louie A - same type of players).

We have some very good players in Vulcans and U20's we should be concentrating on..

joseph1

Juniors
totally agree mate, Blair might be ok but he's a penalty magnet and I doubt he would fit in (we got rid of Hame and Louie A - same type of players).

We have some very good players in Vulcans and U20's we should be concentrating on..

I disagree. Blair is the best kiwi forward around. He is the leader we need to replace Price and help Rapira with the senior role. He would fit in perfectly if he gets over his storm hangup. Hate the culture they have at the storm.

Rich102

Staff member
I am unclear as to what bearing that has on Warriors recruitment. If there was a good prop option from Kazakhstan I would hope they would go for him.

So you heard about the kid Bin Laden? 6'5". Left wing. Goes like a bomb!

Martli

Coach
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/3912077/Manlys-offer-to-Matai-comes-up-short

Look's like we're in with a shot

Manly's offer to Matai comes up short

Manly have made a last-ditch bid to retain their New Zealand international centre Steve Matai, but the three-year contract offer made by the Sea Eagles yesterday is unlikely to be sufficient to keep him at Brookvale Oval.

Matai, off contract at the end of the season, is due to give an answer to coach Des Hasler today after weighing up the new deal last night. However, the chances of the 25-year-old accepting the offer are minimal, as the salary is considerably less than offers from two rival NRL clubs, including the New Zealand Warriors, and three English Super League sides.

Matai's agent, Gavin Orr, said Hasler would be told Matai's decision today, but conceded Manly's offer was below what the player had hoped for.

''It's something that he's got to consider,'' he said. ''It [the offer] is probably not where he's at at the moment. Whether they want to improve on that is another thing.

''There are other clubs in Europe and in the UK that are offering better deals at this stage. [Manly] have been hamstrung with what they were able to offer but we're just considering everything.''

A frustrated Matai last week gave Manly an ultimatum: give me an offer by Monday or I'm off. The Sea Eagles took the hint and tabled a three-year deal before the deadline expired yesterday but there remains a sense of unease on Matai's side about Manly's priorities.

''I think he's probably been in their top two or three players this year,'' Orr said. ''The frustration is more from Steve's side of things. I think Steve is very unhappy they haven't made him a priority and recognised what he gives the team each and every week.''

The Sea Eagles have faced a challenge to retain some of their leading players after tying up Anthony Watmough, Jamie Lyon and Kieran Foran on long-term contract extensions earlier this season.

They added Glenn Stewart to that list in June but the constraints of the salary cap rendered them far from competitive when Canterbury came sniffing for their rookie halfback Trent Hodkinson, who the Bulldogs eventually lured with $280,000 a year. Representative prop Josh Perry is also on the way out, headed for St Helens.

Meanwhile, Canberra fullback Josh Dugan's new contract with the Raiders will finally be made official today - after his name is mentioned in the ACT Magistrates Court on driving charges.

The 20-year-old was yesterday due to front a news conference with Raiders chief executive Don Furner announcing his one-year extension at Canberra but did not know he was meant to show. The scheduling gaffe was put down to a lack of communication between Dugan's management and Raiders officials.

His deal, struck despite strong interest from the Bulldogs and the Sydney Roosters, keeps him at Canberra until the end of 2012. Dugan faces charges of negligent driving and driving while suspended in June.

Latest posts