What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors 'Close' to deal with Matai - in talks with White & Blair

Auckland4ever

Juniors
Matai and Soliola have been polar opposites as club & international players. Soliola's later seasons at the Roosters were disappointing, but he often played good football in the Kiwi jersey. Can't recall Matai being anything more than a liability for NZ to date, be it playing injured, or being stupid.

Skinner

Coach
Matai and Soliola have been polar opposites as club & international players. Soliola's later seasons at the Roosters were disappointing, but he often played good football in the Kiwi jersey. Can't recall Matai being anything more than a liability for NZ to date, be it playing injured, or being stupid.

Mate, I think you will find that Iafeta was comparing Sia with Junior Sau.

I disagree with your thoughts on Steve btw.

perverse

Referee
We were talking about Junior S'au in a kiwi jersey, mate. I don't really have an opinion on Matai in internationals... i haven't really noticed him to be honest, which is probably only confirmation of what you've just said.

Iafeta

Referee
Just on a couple of comments about Steve being regularly injured and/or suspended. polar bob on nzwarriors did a bit of stats hunting, and came up with this data which is since 2005 when Steve entered first grade.

Games per season (including Year To Date 2010 season)

Matai: 17 games
Ropati: 18.5 games
Tate: 14.2 games

If you go from 2006 onwards, and take out Matai's debut year his average over the past 5 seasons jumps to 18.2 games, fractionally behind Ropati.

So he's behind Ropati, well ahead of Tate. Ropati gets through a lot of games for a first grade centre. He's ahead of consistent players with good endurance like Matt Cooper since 2005. I think there's a perception about him, but often he plays through pain, he seems to keep going when it seems he's shot in games. As far as suspensions go, Steve has missed 7 games in 6 years.

I'm not sure about Matai to be honest, but, if we have the dough, and allegedly we do even without the 'throw in a boat deal', then I see no problems with going for Matai and a good prop.. though the later seems to be low on supply. I'm fairly confident with the rest of the team. It finally seems like the club is becoming a development club not by paper talk, but in rewarding boom juniors with extended opportunities in first grade who are then rewarding the club for it.

Auckland4ever

Juniors
Mate, I think you will find that Iafeta was comparing Sia with Junior Sau.

I disagree with your thoughts on Steve btw.

Yeah, but he mentioned Soliola earlier. Was just a side point, not a rebuttal to anything. Sees like Matai gets more kudos as a player in general, but I'm really struggling to remember him putting in a good Kiwis performance as yet.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
Yeah, but he mentioned Soliola earlier. Was just a side point, not a rebuttal to anything. Sees like Matai gets more kudos as a player in general, but I'm really struggling to remember him putting in a good Kiwis performance as yet.

He KO'd Gaz in the Wellington Test a few years back. That gets him a Gold Star in my book.

Meth

Staff member
Is the whole shoulder thing just an act?

I am not sure I have seen him play too many games where he isn't wincing and grasping at his shoulder, yet it doesn't seem to actually cause him too much trouble often.

I am a very big fan of Matai- looking forward to seeing him in the Warriors jersey

NZ Warrior

First Grade
Is the whole shoulder thing just an act?

I am not sure I have seen him play too many games where he isn't wincing and grasping at his shoulder, yet it doesn't seem to actually cause him too much trouble often.

I am a very big fan of Matai- looking forward to seeing him in the Warriors jersey

If it is, it's a stroke of genius. But I just find it annoying.

Seeing the Manly fans get bent out of shape over Matai possibly leaving, is making me like the idea of signing him more and more.

Iafeta

Referee
Parramatta need to keep their greasy, heavily chewed, tobacco stained fingers off our Jim-Bob!

I'd be tying Maloney up till 2013, I'm a fan of Buster's but the emergence of Isaac has driven me to be a bit more cautious in terms of extending his deal just yet.

I'm thinking, unless we find a high value add player such as a Steve Matai, then we're probably better focusing on retaining our young blokes coming through. I heard a stinky rumour that we were going to lose Elijah Niko, and while we can't keep them all, his work rate and finishing is exceptional.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
the manly forum is claiming he didn't make the trip to new zealand. everything has gone quiet too, so maybe no news is good news. as in, here's hoping he's not coming.

hitman82

Bench
Sorry to burst your bubble but Radio Sport just had an interview with both parties and apparently talks are progressing "well".
Right now all I care about is re-signing Vatuvei past 2011... now he will attract some SERIOUS offers. I'd throw 400k his way.

Iafeta

Referee
Yeah, we have to be careful with Manu. I'd go with Matai if you can get him, but if we're considering journeymen or fringe players, I'm not sure of the benefit, particularly when whatever salaries they gain negates the ability to ensure we keep the Isaac Johns, the Manu Vatuveis, the James Maloneys of this world. This whole period has excited me in terms of how much quality young talent we have coming through. None of them looked out of their depth, and pretty much all the young blokes who came through have big upsides. Therefore, after Matai I'd ensure we keep what we have.

Looks like Matai is signing for us after hearing the reports on Radio Sport myself and the interview with the players manager sounds really promising - I would say Matai will announce mid next week maybe monday? Source Radio Sport Audio Archive

Last edited:

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Didn't hear the Radio Sport thing at all.

I do know though that the Sharks have weighed in with a big offer, higher than what the Warriors have on the table

Latest posts