What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors - most frustrating team of all time?

hitman82

Bench
Thanks for the calendar tutorial.

The Warriors caught fire last year at the right time and benefited off a ridiculous finals system. They can’t rely on the same thing happening again and I don’t think they are consistent enough to finish in the top 4.

:lol:
You do realise this is a new season yeah?
New coach, new gameplans, new hooker, new centres?

I think it requires more than 1 game to judge how inconsistent we are.

firechild

First Grade

Speaking of which, Konrad Hurrell is a gun. No doubt he'll have a huge season barring injury.

hitman82

Bench
Speaking of which, Konrad Hurrell is a gun. No doubt he'll have a huge season barring injury.

is he ever! In 54 minutes, Konrad (apparently real name Koneleti or something) topped our metres with 154 from 16 carries, was defensively solid, had a few tackle breaks in there too. But the main thing which the stats don't tell you is after being tackled, he just keeps going. The guy has insane leg drive... all those metres were made straight into defenders. I can't wait to see what the guy will do when given a bit of space...

could end up being our first ever ROTY

firechild

First Grade
Definitely a ROTY prospect. He was very damaging against some very good defenders, he'll rip some teams apart through the year.

Hutty1986

Immortal

Good thing Bellayache isn't your coach, he has none

Penrose Warrior

First Grade

The Warriors caught fire last year at the right time and benefited off a ridiculous finals system. They can’t rely on the same thing happening again and I don’t think they are consistent enough to finish in the top 4.

I still find this laughable whenever I read it/hear it whatever. They won enough matches during the season to have the security of being able to stay alive if they lost in week one. They did, they then went away and won away to the Tigers, who were even hotter than the Warriors, then did it again the next week in Melbourne. If that's not deserving, then I suggest few teams ever will be.

When this old chestnut comes up it's made to sound like the other sides defaulted.

firechild

First Grade
Agree. Keep in mind they would have alternatively had to play the Cowboys who were woeful under the new system and the grand final still may have been Manly v Warriors.

Iafeta

Referee

No problem, I'm sure it will set you on the right path.

joseph1

Juniors
This thread is void. I saw enough on the weekend to suggest that the Warriors WILL be meeting the Sea Eagles in either the prelim or Grand Final in 2012. And I, for one, can't wait. Its as simple as that.

flamin

Juniors
Is there a more frustrating team? I think not. The Warriors have blown two 18 point leads in the last 2 weeks.

woodyk2

First Grade
Manly sitting on the cusp of the 8 and losing to Parra,Titans(when they were going crap),Penrith and then Newcastle. 8 possible points down the gurgler is pretty bloody frustrating.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Both last years grand finalists aint doing well. It does surprise me with Manly but not with NZ. IMO they overachieved last year and are back where they belong this year.

firechild

First Grade
Both last years grand finalists aint doing well. It does surprise me with Manly but not with NZ. IMO they overachieved last year and are back where they belong this year.

Missing the Stewarts, Foran,T-Rex and David Williamsfor large chunks of the season along with injuries to Watmough, Lyon and Matai is always going to have an effect on the side.

Izz

Bench
Warriors have played finals footy 4 of the last 5 seasons, with 1 preliminary final appearance and 1 grand final appearance, and 1 top 4 finish. If (when) we miss the finals this year it has to go down as a massive failure.

Rod

Bench
I picked the Warriors for the minor premiership this year. The quality of the sides on paper they are putting out every week (bar a couple of selection issues maybe) are right up there with the best in the comp. Absolutely no problem with player power or serious injuries, just mentally weak IMO. Big disappointment.

Robbie'o'Davis

Juniors
if the game was only 50 or so minutes long warriors would be a top 4 team..

bottom line is they cant play 80 minutes of football, they switch off and forget the basics..

Tigers are frustrating also imo, too many times you'll see "benji magic" go horribly wrong eg a cutout pass Heading straight for row 8..

hitman82

Bench
I picked the Warriors for the minor premiership this year. The quality of the sides on paper they are putting out every week (bar a couple of selection issues maybe) are right up there with the best in the comp. Absolutely no problem with player power or serious injuries, just mentally weak IMO. Big disappointment.

Actually, I'd say the exact opposite, though I do agree we have selection issues.

Lillyman missed the first 12 rounds with injury and is yet to hit form again.
Both Rapira brothers have been missing most of the season, and were out of form for the couple of games they have played.
Luck has been missing the entire season save for about 10 minutes.
Vatuvei has missed many games and been out of form for many others.
Ropati was out of form at the start of the season, due to knee surgery, and has since been out for the season again.
Locke and Friend have both missed many games and Locke is obviously carrying injuries.

For the first 10 or so rounds of 2012 we managed to have only TWO props available for selection.

For a number of recent weeks our backline consisted of:
Locke (carrying injuries)
Tupou (second year rookie)
Hurrell (rookie)
Ben Henry (rookie second rower playing centre)
Omar Slaimankhel (rookie fullback playing wing and carrying injuries)

It's no fluke that we concede all our tries out wide. With a bunch of kids playing on the wings and centres, we're always going to be weak in this area. This is made even worse by having Johnson and Maloney as noted defensive numbskulls defending in this area.

The biggest cause of our downfall has been having too many inexperienced players in first grade - that's why we are lacking the composure to finish teams off. Even our more experienced players like Matulino and Packer are only in their early 20s. 8 of our 17 who played against Manly were playing Toyota Cup in the last two seasons.

Whoever decided to release a heap of veterans last season and only sign ONE player to replace them, was an idiot.

In 2 or 3 years' time, our team should be destroying their opposition, until then it's going to be tough for supporters. I agree we have a shitload of talent in our squad, but it's mostly "potential" talent, with far too few experienced veterans in the squad, and injuries to the few we do have!