What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors - most frustrating team of all time?

jamaman

Juniors
The Coach in the last 2 games made some big bad ass decisions in players either off feild or on ..Hurrell should have stayed off he could hardly turn around..so all the play was aimed at him...thanks for nothing Bluey!

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Both last years grand finalists aint doing well. It does surprise me with Manly but not with NZ. IMO they overachieved last year and are back where they belong this year.

As a Warriors fan who felt the team seriously overachieved last year, I still find this sort of comment annoying and ignorant, which is not surprising considering who it comes from.

There are serious mental/experience issues with the team that has caused them to lose games that most teams simply shouldn't and wouldn't lose. On talent alone they have enough to be a top 8 team quite comfortably, and hopefully 2012 is a transition after a fairly successful period of making the finals 4 out of the last 5 years (a better record than a few other clubs).

BunniesMan

Immortal
As a Warriors fan who felt the team seriously overachieved last year, I still find this sort of comment annoying and ignorant, which is not surprising considering who it comes from.

There are serious mental/experience issues with the team that has caused them to lose games that most teams simply shouldn't and wouldn't lose. On talent alone they have enough to be a top 8 team quite comfortably, and hopefully 2012 is a transition after a fairly successful period of making the finals 4 out of the last 5 years (a better record than a few other clubs).
All I was saying is looking at them I don't see a top 4/grand final team. I see a mid table 5th-12ish team.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
All I was saying is looking at them I don't see a top 4/grand final team. I see a mid table 5th-12ish team.

It's just more proof that Australian, especially Sydney-based league fans, and the media, know arse nor elbow about us. We've been one of the most consistent sides over the past 5 years.

Brando

Juniors
The Warriors should be a powerhouse club, up there with Brisbane and Melbourne but they are too inconsistent and ill disciplined and have been like this ever since they joined the comp. They didnt deserve to be in the grand final last year after losing by 40 to the Broncos in week 1. Hopefully the new finals system will eliminate that crap from happening again. If they got someone like Bennet/Bellamy/Hasler to run the club they could be something truly amazing.

Let it go already!

BunniesMan

Immortal
It's just more proof that Australian, especially Sydney-based league fans, and the media, know arse nor elbow about us. We've been one of the most consistent sides over the past 5 years.
Look up where you finished on the ladder from 2008 to 2011. And it's safe to add 2012 to that as well. Seems like I'm not too far off the mark.

Juju

Juniors
Look up where you finished on the ladder from 2008 to 2011. And it's safe to add 2012 to that as well. Seems like I'm not too far off the mark.
Look up where your lot ended up in the ladder 1995 - 2011.
You tell me which club is better...

Evil_Mush

Juniors

I'll include 2007 if we're talking past 5 full seasons (current position isn't exactly flash, but it's not over till the fat lady sings!)

2007 - 4th regular season, beaten by team 5 (Eels) first week of finals, beaten by team 3 (Cowboys) second week of finals
2008 - 8th regular season, beat team 1 (Storm) first week of finals, beat team 4 (Roosters) second week of finals, beaten by team 2 (Eagles eventual Grand Finalist winners) third week of finals.
2009 - 14th regular season
2010 - 5th regular season, beaten by team 4 (Titans) first week of finals, eliminated by McIntyre system
2011 - 6th regular season, beaten by team 3 (Broncos) first week of finals, beat team 4 (Tigers) second week of finals, beat team 1 (Storm) third week of finals, beaten by team 2 (Eagles) in Grand Final
2012 - currently 12th after Round 21 (2 pts outside top 8, 6 pts outside top 4, 12 pts behind team 1)

Getting to the finals in 4 of the past 5 full seasons with one grand final appearance and one semifinal appearance isn't too shabby. Even if we bomb out this year (which is getting perilously close unfortunately), 4 out of 6 finals appearances is still a decent strike rate.

Evil_Mush

Juniors
Back on topic, that still doesn't stop them from being frustrating!!!! We'd be in second or third right now if we hadn't given up the 10+ leads we've had in games this year!!

Evil_Mush

Juniors
For interests sake, using your comparison of end of season finishes, here are the basic numbers over past five full seasons (2007-2011) :

Broncos - 8, 5, 6, 10, 3 (4/5 finals appearances, GF 0 times)
Bulldogs - 6, 16, 2, 13, 3 (3/5 finals appearances, GF 0 times)
Cowboys - 3, 15, 12, 15, 7 (2/5 finals appearances, GF 0 times)
Dragons - 13, 7, 1, 1, 5 (4/5 finals appearances, GF won 1/1 times)
Eels - 5, 11, 8, 12, 14 (2/5 finals appearances, GF won 0/1 times)
Knights - 15, 9, 7, 11, 8 (2/5 finals appearances, GF 0 times)
Panthers - 16, 12, 11, 2, 12 (1/5 finals appearances, GF 0 times)
Rabbitohs - 7, 14, 10, 9, 10 (1/5 finals appearances, GF 0 times)
Raiders - 14, 6, 13, 7, 15 (2/5 finals appearances, GF 0 times)
Roosters - 10, 4, 16, 6, 11 (2/5 finals appearances, GF won 0/1 times)
Sea Eagles - 2, 2, 5, 8, 2 (5/5 finals appearances, GF won 2/3 times)
Sharks - 11, 3, 15, 14, 13 (1/5 finals appearances, GF 0 times)
Storm - 1, 1, 4, 16, 1 (4/5 finals appearances, GF won 2/3 times, asterisked of course)
Tigers - 9, 10, 9, 3, 4 (2/5 finals appearances, GF 0 times)
Titans - 12, 13, 3, 4, 16 (2/5 finals appearances, GF 0 times)

So Warriors in pretty good company, same amount of finals appearances as Broncos, Dragons & Storm (one less than Manly), one of only 6 teams to have made the grand final in that time (with a loss of course).

Not sure what that proves in relation to the topic, but we've been pretty decent performers overall in past 5 years results-wise.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
So Warriors in pretty good company, same amount of finals appearances as Broncos, Dragons & Storm (one less than Manly), one of only 6 teams to have made the grand final in that time (with a loss of course).

Not sure what that proves in relation to the topic, but we've been pretty decent performers overall in past 5 years results-wise.

Exactly my point.

Yes, we're frustrating. And we haven't won a premiership. But results-wise under Cleary, our fan base was provided with a hell of a lot of good times. We missed the finals twice under him (once because of salary cap that wasn't his fault), were one off the GF in 2008, made it last year, and got to the finals in 2007 and 2010.

Apart from those with cheats stamped on their arse, we've provided our fan base with enough joy to rival or outstrip any, Manly excepted.

So really, we're only the most frustrating because we know what we're capable of, and have produced.

firechild

First Grade

Come on, you can't seriously be using the views of Dunniesgimp as evidence of what Australian league fans do and don't know.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Look up where your lot ended up in the ladder 1995 - 2011.
You tell me which club is better...
How is that relevant to anything? This thread isn't about Souths. I didn't try to make it about Souths.
I'll include 2007 if we're talking past 5 full seasons (current position isn't exactly flash, but it's not over till the fat lady sings!)

2007 - 4th regular season, beaten by team 5 (Eels) first week of finals, beaten by team 3 (Cowboys) second week of finals
2008 - 8th regular season, beat team 1 (Storm) first week of finals, beat team 4 (Roosters) second week of finals, beaten by team 2 (Eagles eventual Grand Finalist winners) third week of finals.
2009 - 14th regular season
2010 - 5th regular season, beaten by team 4 (Titans) first week of finals, eliminated by McIntyre system
2011 - 6th regular season, beaten by team 3 (Broncos) first week of finals, beat team 4 (Tigers) second week of finals, beat team 1 (Storm) third week of finals, beaten by team 2 (Eagles) in Grand Final
2012 - currently 12th after Round 21 (2 pts outside top 8, 6 pts outside top 4, 12 pts behind team 1)

Getting to the finals in 4 of the past 5 full seasons with one grand final appearance and one semifinal appearance isn't too shabby. Even if we bomb out this year (which is getting perilously close unfortunately), 4 out of 6 finals appearances is still a decent strike rate.
And I said I felt you guys were a mid table 5th-12th team. I repeat, it seems like I'm not far off the mark.

Everyone else sees you guys as underperforming. I'm obviously in the minority who feels you guys are roughly where you're meant to be right now. In my opinion you guys aren't the top 2 or top 4 team the mainstream opinion suggested you were this year.

I picked youse to come 8th this year. I was closer to the mark than most.

Last edited:
I, I, I, me,me,me...I'm right, they're wrong nar, nardy, nar, nar. I am god, I am mr f**king wonderful. Look, look, I picked that Melbourne would win by 40...I AM THE GREATEST!!!

Look at moi, look at moi...

Bunniesman, you make Mundine look modest.

FFS

bottle

Coach
I, I, I, me,me,me...I'm right, they're wrong nar, nardy, nar, nar. I am god, I am mr f**king wonderful. Look, look, I picked that Melbourne would win by 40...I AM THE GREATEST!!!

FFS

Gratest, from the most recent edition of the 'Inglis Dickshunary'.

BunniesMan

Immortal

FFS
Making an argument, having that argument contested, then pointing to facts to support that argument is not arrogant.

I haven't brought up Souths at all in this thread. I haven't talked myself up in any way besides saying I think I'm right.

You know I am not wrong here so the only responses you have is a silly little rant. I hope it made you feel better.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Here's an idea: play the ball not the man. I'm making legitimate points and opinion, feel free to criticize those but don't have a go at me when I've done nothing wrong.

Evil_Mush

Juniors
The problem about asserting that a team belongs in 5th-12th (or wherever) is always with the benefit of hindsight, and doesn't take into account extraneous influences (such as injuries/suspension to key players or whatever, or even the same happening to opposition teams at the time said team played them), or single moments in games (penalties, brain explosions, opponents miracle plays).

Based on their performances to date this year, Warriors absolutely deserve to be where they are. But if there wasn't injuries to Manu/Mannering/Luck/Ropati/Lillyman/Rapira/Locke/Hurrell/Friend, or if Inu hadn't dropped "that" ball, or if Billy Tupou actually tackled someone, or if Williams hadn't got his foot to the ball in Round 1, or if... blah blah blah blah... then we could have been in first this year!

But I wouldn't have made that generalisation at the start of the year because none of that stuff had happened (same could go for any team, just making a general assumption based on past years to a current team is at best lucky guess).