What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors place restrictions on AFB's transfer.

Rich102

Staff member
The Warriors are reportedly set to apply strict rules to which club star prop Addin Fonua-Blake joins in 2025 after his bombshell release request.

The 28-year-old was initially seeking an immediate release, but after a meeting with club powerbrokers committed to the Warriors for the 2024 season.

Fonua-Blake is desperate to return to Sydney for personal reasons and as such the Warriors are set to apply restrictions to his looming exit according to The Daily Telegraph.

The gun prop will reportedly only release him to a Sydney club, meaning on clubs within NSW with salary cap space will be able to sign him.

Fonua-Blake’s current contract is worth a reported $1 million-a-season and he is signed on with the Warriors until the end of 2026.

The Roosters have reportedly pulled out of the race for his signature, with the Panthers and Eels also won’t be making a play.

That leaves the Dragons and Bulldogs as the major players to acquire his services while the Rabbitohs, Sharks and Tigers would reportedly have to juggle their salary cap.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Find it quite amusing how he broke his last contract because he had to get out of Sydney, and will be breaking this one because he has to get back to Sydney

Blair

Coach
I've mentally let this guy go now. I know we need him but I no longer want him. What a shame as he was already one of our best-ever recruits.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Club is managing this pretty well I think. It’s not just about AFB- I think they’re trying to lay down a bit of a line about players needing to respect contracts more.

Meth

Staff member
Club is managing this pretty well I think. It’s not just about AFB- I think they’re trying to lay down a bit of a line about players needing to respect contracts more.

This post triggered me to remember us paying Lodge all the way out the door.

Meth

Staff member
Fonua Blake is a hell of a player, but has some considerable baggage. You'd have to have some nerves signing him. Broke Manly contract. Broke our contract. What would make any club think that he won't break theirs?

Rich102

Staff member
Fonua Blake is a hell of a player, but has some considerable baggage. You'd have to have some nerves signing him. Broke Manly contract. Broke our contract. What would make any club think that he won't break theirs?
That they were paying him more than anyone else? But that changes year by year.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I'm led to believe the anti-tampering laws still exist...so doesn't Gould or anyone else meeting with AFB count? Because he still has a contract with us for 2025.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I'm led to believe the anti-tampering laws still exist...so doesn't Gould or anyone else meeting with AFB count? Because he still has a contract with us for 2025.
The club has agreed to let him go for that year so he's effectively a free agent from the end of next season

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
The club has agreed to let him go for that year so he's effectively a free agent from the end of next season
My reading on the club's arrangement was they had agreed he would stay for 2024 with a view to reviewing his situation for 2025 after that?

Warriors chief executive Cameron George said there were discussions overnight and agreement had been reached for Fonua-Blake to remain for the 2024 season “while assessing his personal circumstances for 2025 and beyond”.

No agreement to release him for 2025.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
My reading on the club's arrangement was they had agreed he would stay for 2024 with a view to reviewing his situation for 2025 after that?

Warriors chief executive Cameron George said there were discussions overnight and agreement had been reached for Fonua-Blake to remain for the 2024 season “while assessing his personal circumstances for 2025 and beyond”.

No agreement to release him for 2025.
According to the Daily Telegraph it’s agreed that he can negotiate for 2025, they ran a story on AFB and Gould’s meeting in the Saturday paper:

IMG_2571.jpeg

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
OK, that flies in the face of the Warriors' release that said they'd have a further conversation around 2025 during next season. If that article is true, they should be honest and say he's already gone.

OK, that flies in the face of the Warriors' release that said they'd have a further conversation around 2025 during next season. If that article is true, they should be honest and say he's already gone.
I think the fact he's goneski for '25 is a foregone conclusion. The open ended statement earlier was likely just to give the club some leverage for potential player swap or compensation.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Tigers have officially pulled out of the race and I saw a headline the Dogs have as well
Hopefully (though I can’t really see it) he doesn’t get a deal for 2025 locked up during this off season, and he’s fully motivated to put in next year and preserve his contract value.

Reactions: Izz