What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors signings, contract extensions thread

devoid

Juniors
Shaun Johnson extends contract to 2014

When the Warriors had to make a call they were always going to back local product Shaun Johnson over talented recruit James Maloney. So it has come to pass leading into the 2012 NRL season and beyond.

Johnson has confirmed he is staying at the Auckland-based club until the end of the 2014 season. It contrasts with yesterday's understandable decision by Maloney to return home to Australia and sign what is thought to be a deal with Roosters from 2013 onwards.

The pair combined this year to take the Warriors to their second grand final. Fans could experience a repeat next year but the nature of NRL contracting with its salary cap restrictions means the long-term retention of two such high-calibre players was always a tough ask. Wisely the Warriors bought insurance last weekend by signing Kiwi Thomas Leuluai to join the club from 2013. "I've really enjoyed playing alongside Jimmy and learning from him," Johnson said. "Hopefully, we'll have the chance to improve our combination again next year.

"While it is disappointing, Jimmy has decided to finish here at the end of 2012, it's great Thomas is coming back. His experience in tests, Super League and Challenge Cup finals will be a help."

Johnson's pedigree was well-established in an exceptional rookie campaign which saw the 21-year-old named the Warriors' young player of the year. His precocious composure on the field is backed by a natural confidence dealing with media and fans.

While his defence might need some work, the sight of Johnson effortlessly delving into his anaerobic fitness to score long-range tries is suitable compensation for most fans. His vapour trail flew in the faces of countless defenders this season.

"The Warriors have developed me and offered the chance to play in the NRL. I want to repay everyone for the support I've received," Johnson said. "I've been lucky enough to experience the NRL grand final in my first season and I want to give myself the chance to play a lot more first-grade games."

After an injury-disrupted start, Johnson debuted against the Sydney Roosters in June. He went on to play 16 first-grade games.

Warriors coach Brian McClennan said retaining Johnson was critical to the club's future: "I've really enjoyed watching Shaun's development. He has come right through the club's system and I'm excited about trying to help him reach his potential. What has really impressed me is his level head. So much expectation has been placed on him but he has his feet on the ground."

Warmess

Juniors
I don't see why any player would sign a super long term deal right now when you have the new TV rights deal coming through soon.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Deals that get signed now have clauses in them allowing for a raise in money when thet tv rights deal gets signed.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
pinch of salt anyone??

One youngster from another club i'd like us to sign is James Roberts from souths.
Everytime i see him, he is outstanding. Could be the type of signing we need.
He's a gun, young, would be fairly cheap. I don't know what is contract is like at the moment, but with our lack of depth at the outsides, he could be a great pick up.

pinch of salt anyone??

One youngster from another club i'd like us to sign is James Roberts from souths.
Everytime i see him, he is outstanding. Could be the type of signing we need.
He's a gun, young, would be fairly cheap. I don't know what is contract is like at the moment, but with our lack of depth at the outsides, he could be a great pick up.

Where's this lack ov depth?

Centres/wings/fullbacks: Ropati, Inu, Hurrell, Tui, Brown, Manu, Tupou, Omar, Fish, Locke. I probably even missed a couple there.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Where's this lack ov depth?

Centres/wings/fullbacks: Ropati, Inu, Hurrell, Tui, Brown, Manu, Tupou, Omar, Fish, Locke. I probably even missed a couple there.

Ropati - See how he goes, he has had a lengthy lay off, i just hope he can come back to how he was.

Inu - Very hot and cold player. Hope Bluey can get the best out of him

Tui and Hurrell - Untested at NRL (so is Roberts ill pay that). They have potential to be anything.

Brown - is not a centre, don't care what anyone says.

Manu - Injury prone and confidence player. No doubting him when he's hot, he is the best winger in the NRL.

Tupou - Granted i'll give you this.

Omar, Fish and Locke - Are all fullbacks. All 3 with undoubted talent, and i'm confident they can hold their own however they are not natural centres or wingers.

If you look at top backline, you have

Locke
Tupou
Inu
Ropati
Vatuvei

with Fish, Omar, Hurrell and Tuimavavue as back ups.

What happens if we get an injury scare and/or players dropping form?

I would hate having to see Mannering and Brown as the centre partnership.

Rich102

Staff member
Here is a list of our squad for the 2012 season:

Name: Contracted to:
Lewis Brown 2012

Glen Fisiiahi
Nathan Friend
Pita Godinet 2011

Ben Henry
Konrad Hurrell

Sebastine Ikahihifo
Krisnan Inu 2013
Shaun Johnson 2014
Jacob Lillyman 2011

Kevin Locke 2011
Sione Lousi 2010

Sam Lousi
Micheal Luck 2012
James Maloney 2012

Simon Mannering 2012
Feleti Mateo 2013
Alehana Mara 2010
Ben Matulino 2013
Russell Packer 2012

Ivan Penehe 2011
Sam Rapira 2012
Steve Rapira 2012
Jerome Ropati 2012
Ukuma Ta'ai 2011

Sio Siua Taukeiaho
Elijah Taylor 2010

Carlos Tuimavave
Bill Tupou 2010
Manu Vatuvei 2013

I can't find any updates on when the contracts expire.
Can anybody assist?

Izz

Bench
Locke is contracted until end of 2013.

The Fish is contracted until the end of 2015.

Sam Rapira is signed until the end of 2014.

Taylor is contracted until the end of 2012, with an option for 2013.

Jacob Lillyman will be here until the end of 2013. According to that same article, Mara and Godinet are here until the end of 2013, and Ta'ai until the end of 2012, though it also talks about Isaac John being here in 2012, but we know that hasn't happened.

Nathan Friend is here until the end of 2013 at least, with an option for 2014.

Rich102

Staff member
Name: Contracted to:
Lewis Brown 2012
Glen Fisiiahi 2015
Nathan Friend 2013
Pita Godinet 2013
Ben Henry
Konrad Hurrell
Sebastine Ikahihifo
Krisnan Inu 2013
Shaun Johnson 2014