What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors signings, contract extensions thread

One Warrior

Bench
Heres an official link for Simon Mannering's re-signing:

Warriors secure Mannering on three-year deal

Published: 8:25PM Wednesday February 22, 2012 Source: ONE Sport

The Warriors have received a timely boost ahead of their season opening clash against Manly next weekend, with news today that captain Simon Mannering has signed a new three-year contract with the club.

Mannering, who was off-contract at the end of this season, recommitted to his only NRL club until the end of the 2015 season.

The deal will see Mannering, 25, ranked second-equal with 1996-2006 Warrior Awen Guttenbeil among the longest-serving players in the club's history, stretching his time at the Warriors out to 11 seasons.

Only Stacey Jones, who had a 12-season career at Mount Smart, heads them.

Named Warriors' Player of the Year for 2011, the Napier-born, Nelson-raised Mannering said he was happy to have his contract situation resolved before the Warriors' grand final rematch at Eden Park on March 4.

"It's a bit of a relief to have this sorted out early so all the focus is on football," he said.

"I love being at the Warriors. It's a great club to be a part of and there's plenty to be excited about for the future.

"I'm just looking forward now to starting the season. We've got such a huge game against Manly at Eden Park to start it off. It's going to be a really big day for all of us."

Coach Brian McClennan was happy to have his skipper locked-in for the long-term and spoke of Mannering's importance to the club.
Advertisement

"Simon means so much to the Warriors," he said.

"This is where it all started for him and it's so important he stays because of what he has to offer our team and our club right now and in the future."

Mannering is entering his third season as Warriors captain since taking over the role following a disappointing 2009 campaign.

Under his leadership, the Warriors have finished fifth in 2010 and gone all the way to the grand final last year, notching an impressive 28-18 win-loss record in his two years leading the side.

With 46 matches as captain, he is destined to go ahead of Steve Price's record of 91 for most games as the club's captain.

Last year he featured in all 28 of the team's NRL matches - one of only three players to do so - and he also played four of the Kiwis' five Tests; he averaged 78 minutes a game in making a total of 32 appearances from a possible 33 elite level matches.

With Mannering about to start his eighth NRL season, only centre Jerome Ropati and winger Manu Vatuvei of this year's squad have had longer careers, Ropati starting his in 2003 and Vatuvei in 2004.

The durable Mannering, though, has played more games than them and is on schedule to rack up his 150th appearance against the Titans in round four.

MikeNZ

Juniors
We need a proper centre. A player in the mould of a Brent Tate, with a solid defensive game would be a good signing. Watching Ropati leak tries is cringe worthy.

MikeNZ

Juniors
In
Thomas Leuluai

Out
James Maloney
Lewis Brown

Contract ends 2012
Michael Luck
Russell Packer
Ivan Penehe
Steve Rapira
Ukuma Ta'ai
Jerome Ropati
Elijah Taylor

Kiwi Icon

Juniors
Got told that Renee Ranger is almost a certain signing for next season..He was on tv3 sport tonight and was a bit sheepish about talking about the topic.
There has been some speculation for a while that he was coming so we will all have to wait and see.

One Warrior

Bench
Story for Bill Tupou's re-signing.

Tupou rewarded with two-year extension and some extra cash
Aaron Lawton
April 29, 2012

HE HAS flown under the radar for most of his career out on the right wing for the Warriors, but the underrated Bill Tupou's recent form does not appear to have gone unnoticed by the club's powerbrokers.

Initially off contract at the end of this season but with an option in favour of the Warriors, Tupou's manager, Stan Martin, has moved quickly to negotiate a new and upgraded deal for his client.

He would not reveal specifics yesterday but confirmed that on Friday, Tupou put pen to paper on a new contract that will see him call Mt Smart Stadium home until at least the end of 2014.

It is also understood the deal includes an option in the club's favour for the 2015 season.

Martin said the terms of the new contract were confidential but admitted Tupou, who scored two tries during Wednesday's loss to the Storm, had been rewarded with a significant pay increase. ''Bill's been offered a new extension for two years and he signed the contract this week,'' Martin said.

''He'll be staying with the Warriors until 2014 at least.

''I spoke to the Warriors at the end of last year and at the beginning of this year after Billy's top performances during the play-offs. He also made the Kiwis squad for the Four Nations, let's not forget.

''He's improved quite a lot. I think the Warriors see him as a long-term winger and wanted to keep him at the club. He's received some good rewards on the back of some impressive performances.''

Under new coach Brian McClennan, Tupou has been a regular sight on the right wing for the Warriors.

''I had three clubs interested in him. But because he's always been under contract with the Warriors, I never proceeded with anything,'' Martin said.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...nsion-and-some-extra-cash-20120428-1xrle.html

One Warrior

Bench
Dane Nielsen signs until end of 2015

Storm centre Nielsen signed by Vodafone Warriors

Sunday 6 May 2012 10:42 PM
Storm centre Nielsen signed by Vodafone Warriors

Melbourne Storm and Queensland Origin centre Dane Nielsen will join the Vodafone Warriors on a three-year contract after the 2012 NRL season.
The Mackay-born 26-year-old excelled in 2011 when he twice played for the Maroons – including the series-clinching third match – and has again been a key contributor for the unbeaten Storm this year, notably scoring a double in their 32-14 Anzac Day win over the Vodafone Warriors at AAMI Park.
Confirming Nielsen’s signing today, Vodafone Warriors recruitment and development manager Dean Bell said the club was excited to secure a centre of such quality from the NRL’s leading side.
“He’ll bring a lot to the Vodafone Warriors through his experience with such a strong club like the Storm and through playing Origin football,” he said.
“It’s a huge positive for us to secure a ranking Origin player and getting one who has played with three of the best players in the game – Billy Slater, Cooper Cronk and Cameron Smith – as well as learning so much through a coach of Craig Bellamy’s ability.”
A Torres Strait Islander, Nielsen said the key appeal about signing for the Vodafone Warriors was the depth of young talent at the club and the tough brand of football the side plays.
“One of the things I really like is that there are so many good young players coming through the club,” he said from Melbourne today.
“I also like the way the Warriors play. They always give the Storm a tough time whether we play them here or in Auckland. We’ve had some great games between the two clubs “
Nielsen said he wasn’t bothered at all about moving out of Australia.
“I’ve been living away from home since I was 18 or 19. I’ve been in Sydney and now Melbourne so it’s not an issue for me at all,” he said.
“I’ve got this year to worry about first but then I’ll be looking forward to coming to a new city and a new club and doing all I can to help on the field and off it.”
Ironically Nielsen will get an early taste of Vodafone Warriors members and fans when he comes to his future home base within a matter of weeks of signing; the Storm play their 13th-round clash against the Vodafone Warriors at Mount Smart Stadium on June 03.
Nielsen made his NRL debut with the Cronulla Sharks in 2007 before joining Melbourne in 2008. He played on the wing for the Storm in the 2009 grand final against Parramatta.
Last year he featured 24 times for the Storm as they won the minor premiership before being beaten by the Vodafone Warriors in the preliminary final.
Last night Nielsen made his eighth appearance of the 2012 campaign in Melbourne’s 44-10 win against Penrith, its ninth straight win of the year.
While Nielsen has been signed the Vodafone Warriors are also looking to retain the club’s longest-serving current player Jerome Ropati. Discussions are expected to be concluded soon.

DANE NIELSEN

Date of Birth: June 10, 1985
Birthplace: Mackay, Queensland
Junior Club: Norths Devils
Position: Centre
Height: 188cm
Weight: 97kg
Other Teams: Melbourne Storm (2008-2012), Cronulla Sharks (2007)
Rep Honours: Two matches for Queensland 2011
NRL Debut: Cronulla v Manly, Toyota Park, July 20, 2007 (Round 19)
NRL Career: 65 appearances, 2007-2012
NRL Points: 88 (22 tries)

http://www.warriors.co.nz/news-display/Storm-centre-Nielsen-signed-by-Vodafone-Warriors/54627

One Warrior

Bench
Jerome Ropati re-signing story

FULL INTERVIEW: Ropati re-signs with Warriors - 11-season veteran

Wed, 09 May 2012 1:19p.m.

By Angela Beswick

Warriors veteran Jerome Ropati has re-signed with the club for another year.

The 27-year-old will become an eleven-season Warrior in 2013 and the second longest-serving in history, joining Awen Guttenbeil behind Stacey Jones.

Ropati's manager Bruce Sharrock said yesterday his preference was always to stay in Auckland.

"He's been there for 10 years now and all things being equal, he'd like to see his career out at the club," Sharrock said.

Ropati has played 137 NRL games and 11 tests.

The announcement comes hot on the heels of the club's confirmation Melbourne Storm and Queensland Origin star Dane Nielsen would join the Warriors in 2013.

"I'm more than happy to sign for just one season. It's a fair way for both parties and I'm confident my form this year and next will warrant a further extension," he said.

"I really appreciate the great support he Vodafone Warriors have given me throughout my career. This is the only club I want to play for.

"I love it here. This is home for me. It's great being among the boys, the coaching staff and seeing all the young players coming through our system. I'd like to help as much as I can with the young boys.

"Jerome's experience and versatility are so important for us," he said.

"He's such a terrific person to have around the team and the club and it's great to have playing on for another season and hopefully beyond that as well.

After a serious knee injury ended his campaign just three rounds into the 2011 NRL season he has made a full return this year, starting out in the centres but being moved to fullback for his last two appearances against South Sydney and Brisbane.

3 News

"My focus right now is on doing the best I can each week this season. I've had some injury setbacks and I'm driven to get back to playing as much football as I can.

Vodafone Warriors head coach Brian McClennan, who also worked with Ropati in the Kiwis, can't say enough about his value to the team and the club.

"With so many young players coming through into our NRL side, we need good people like Jerome to mentor them and help us with our culture.

Ropati started his career with a one-off appearance late in the 2003 season, going on to make his Kiwi debut in 2005 and being a key figure in the Kiwis' 2008 Rugby League World Cup success.

With two tries this season, Ropati is one of only six players to score more than 50 tries for the Vodafone Warriors.

http://www.3news.co.nz/Ropati-re-si...teran/tabid/415/articleID/253621/Default.aspx