What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors signings, contract extensions thread

devoid

Juniors
Hmm. Can't find contract details/announcements for Ikahihifo, Taukeiaho, or Tuimavave, but a couple of the media releases (dated around November 20ish) all mention them as new faces, with the addition of both Slaimankhel and John Palavi training with both the senior and junior squads (perhaps training contracts for the later two -- thought Havilii was also on one).

Fast Eddie

First Grade
At this stage Steve Rapira and Tai'i will leave I reckon. Ropati and Luck possibly to England as well.

Rich102

Staff member
Name: Contracted to:Lewis Brown 2012
Glen Fisiiahi 2015
Nathan Friend 2013
Pita Godinet 2013

Ben Henry 2013
Konrad Hurrell 2012

Sebastine Ikahihifo
Krisnan Inu 2013
Shaun Johnson 2014
Jacob Lillyman 2013

Kevin Locke 2013
Sione Lousi 2013
Sam Lousi 2013
Micheal Luck 2012
James Maloney 2012

Simon Mannering 2012
Feleti Mateo 2013
Alehana Mara 2013
Ben Matulino 2013
Russell Packer 2012

Ivan Penehe 2012
Sam Rapira 2014
Steve Rapira 2012
Jerome Ropati 2012
Ukuma Ta'ai 2012

Sio Siua Taukeiaho
Elijah Taylor 2012

Carlos Tuimavave
Bill Tupou 2010
Manu Vatuvei 2013

Tupou has to be a worry.
Anyone fill any more in?

LeagueNut

First Grade
So these are the contracts expiring this year...

Konrad Hurrell
Michael Luck
James Maloney
Simon Mannering
Russell Packer
Ivan Penehe
Steve Rapira
Ukuma Ta'ai
Jerome Ropati
Elijah Taylor

Anyone want to join me in making some rash predictions?

Konrad Hurrell - will go if he's not given a decent first-grade shot
Michael Luck - will take a "retirement" contract in the ESL
James Maloney - already gone
Simon Mannering - will stay
Russell Packer - will stay
Ivan Penehe - won't be offered a contract
Steve Rapira - will stay
Ukuma Ta'ai - will go to a big-money ESL offer
Jerome Ropati - will want to stay but won't be offered a contract
Elijah Taylor - will stay

Sound about right?

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Hmmmm yeah pretty much but....

Luck- 50/50 on if he stays for another 2 years or goes to ESL
Hurrell- stays
Manenring- stays, 3-4 year contract
Packer- ditto
Steve Rapira- gone
Tai'i- gone
Ropati- stays, 2 year deal
Taylor- stays

devoid

Juniors
Sort of agree with both L.N. and F.Ed.

I think this will be Luck's last season with us. Steve Rapira and Elijah Taylor will both stay. Ukuma and Lewis Brown are more likely to go, IMO.

Mannering definitely stays, and Packer will be kept too, as will Hurrell AND Ropati. The only way I can see Jerome leaving is if he is kept out by a sensational debut Hurrell season -- and goes to England. But otherwise, I think J-Ro is nearly invaluable to the Warriors, both on and off the park. I'm hoping he becomes a one-club player. Penehe will need to do something special to get another contract -- IMO, his will go to Omar next season.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
The only reason Steve Rapira would stay at this stage is if he really wants to be at the same club as his brother. It seems unfortunetly that he is behind quite a few in the second row stocks and even prop stocks if he is considered a prop. The guy could be a starter at a number of clubs so unless there are injuries early in the season and he starts getting significant game time then surely he has to leave to further his career. And I can't see Brown leaving, I'd say he will be in the 17 and he seems to love it at the Warriors.

devoid

Juniors
Yeah, I see what you're saying F.Ed -- the reason why I think Lewis is likely to go is he will command far more cap than Rapira. In fact, I think it comes down to investing in Elijah or Lewis, it is hands down Elijah for me.

Simon is a must, Russell is a must, and Elijah is a must. I'm not sure if Lewis is -- very tough call. I hope we can keep them all, including Ukuma and Steve too, but I somehow doubt we will. I suspect some guys will be determined to break through elsewhere if they don't with us this season.

rhino2009

Juniors
Gary Hetherington the Leeds Rhinos Chief Executive has been meeting Bluey over the last couple of days. Do you know if GH has persuaded any player to come over to the UK and play for the Rhinos?

One Warrior

Bench
Konrad Hurrell & John Palavi re-sign.
NRL: Warriors lock Hurrell into new deal

The Warriors have moved quickly to secure promising centre Konrad Hurrell on a longer-term deal as the club look to keep some of their best talent at Mt Smart Stadium.

Hurrell, 20, has had his contract extended to the end of 2013 and John Palavi, named the club's 2011 NYC Player of the Year, has signed until the end of 2014 and also been upgraded to join the NRL squad fulltime.

The club also announced former Warriors colts and reserve grade halfback Willie Swann has been appointed the Warriors' new development coach to take over from Ricky Henry, who has been signed to coach the Auckland Vulcans in the New South Wales Cup this season.

"By retaining Konrad and John for a longer term and bringing Willie back to the club we have once again signalled the importance we place on the development area,'' recruitment and development manager Dean Bell said. "Konrad and John have impressed everyone at the club and especially our coaching staff with the way they've developed.

"We work as hard as we can to spot and recruit the best young prospects in this country and then allow our development system to mould them into players who will have a good chance of moving into our NYC and ultimately NRL teams if they're good enough.

That's where a coach with Willie's credentials is so important to us.''

Hurrell, born in Tonga, was signed from rugby union after being spotted playing for the Auckland Grammar School first XV. He had an exceptional first season in rugby league in 2011, making a major contribution to the Junior Warriors who defended their NYC premiership.

A destructive ball runner, he scored 22 tries in 21 matches _ including two in the grand final - and made an astonishing 268 tackle breaks as well as dominating other statistical categories. Named in the competition's team of the year, he moved into the club's NRL squad for the 2012 season and immediately impressed at the higher level, scoring a try in each of the trial wins against Gold Coast and South Sydney in past two weeks.

He was used predominantly on the wing in his first trial and in the centres last week and will play in the Warriors' final trial against the Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles at Toll Stadium in Whangarei on Saturday.

Palavi was a standout all-round student at St Paul's College, New Zealand's premier rugby league nursery.

Studying to become a doctor, the 2011 Junior Kiwi is again eligible for what will be his fourth season in the NYC, a feat achieved by a select group since the competition was introduced in 2008. Usually a back rower, he has been included in the NRL squad for Saturday's trial.

Warriors coach Brian McClennan said Hurrell and Palavi were perfect examples of the rich reservoir of local talent the club invested in.

"Konrad has been fantastic ever since he came into the NRL squad for the start of our off-season training in November,'' he said. "He has done everything asked of him and has really taken his opportunities. He has also been a real pleasure off the field, a young man who is enjoying the whole experience.

"John has a huge future in every respect and he, too, has impressed everyone with the way he has worked during the off-season. He deserves this opportunity.''

Swann is from a well-known league family - his brother Anthony and cousin Logan both played for the Warriors.

He coached the East Coast Bays Barracudas in the Auckland club competition from 2009-2011 and last year was appointed as coach at his old club Marist for the 2012 season.

- APNZ
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10785930

Iafeta

Referee
Glad Palavi is re-signed. He appears a very smart, level headed kid and quite a hard working player too.

Kiwi Icon

Juniors
Mannering signs new contract to end of 2015

22/02/2012 6:00:53 PM

Captain Simon Mannering has provided an early boost for the Vodafone Warriors’ 2012 NRL campaign by signing a new three-year contract which will rank him second equal among the longest-serving players in the club’s history.
Head coach Brian McClennan announced the 25-year-old Mannering’s deal exclusively to Vodafone Warriors members following a field session at Mount Smart Stadium tonight.
Mannering, who was off contract at the end of this season, has re-committed to his only NRL club until the end of the 2015 campaign, lengthening his association with the Vodafone Warriors to 11 seasons. It will draw him level with 1996-2006 Vodafone Warrior Awen Guttenbeil; only Stacey Jones, who had a 12-season career at Mount Smart, heads them.
Named the 2011 NRL grand finalists’ Lion Red Player of the Year, the Napier-born, Nelson-raised Mannering said it was important for him to have his contract situation settled before the season began with the grand final rematch against Manly at Eden Park on March 4.
“It’s a bit of a relief to have this sorted out early so all the focus is on football,” he said.
“I love being at the Vodafone Warriors. It’s a great club to be a part of and there’s plenty to be excited about for the future.
“I’m just looking forward now to starting the season. We’ve got such a huge game against Manly at Eden Park to start it off. It’s going to be a really big day for all of us.”
Head coach Brian McClennan said retaining Mannering was vital.
“Simon means so much to the Vodafone Warriors,” he said.
“This is where it all started for him and it’s so important he stays because of what he has to offer our team and our club right now and in the future.
“It’s also great that we were able to let our Vodafone Warriors members know about this first. They provide such wonderful support for our club.”
Mannering is entering his third season as Vodafone Warriors captain since taking over the role following the disappointing 2009 campaign. Under his leadership, the Vodafone Warriors have finished fifth in 2010 and gone all the way to the grand final last year.
Mannering, who missed seven games with injury in 2010, has an impressive 28-18 win-loss record in his two years leading the side. With 46 matches as captain, he is destined to go ahead of Steve Price’s record of 91 for most games as the club’s captain.
Last year he featured in all 28 of the team’s NRL matches – one of only three players to do so – and he also played four of the Kiwis’ five Tests; he averaged 78 minutes a game in making a total of 32 appearances from a possible 33 elite level matches.
Mannering’s output last year lifted his club career tally to 146 matches leaving him in line to bring up both his 150th appearance and his 50th game as captain in the fourth-round clash against Gold Coast at Mount Smart Stadium on Saturday, March 31.
With Mannering about to start his eighth NRL season, only centre Jerome Ropati and winger Manu Vatuvei of this year’s squad have had longer careers, Ropati starting his in 2003 and Vatuvei in 2004. The durable Mannering, though, has played more games than them.

From Warriors website..i cant post links yet)

http://www.warriors.co.nz/default.a...e=mannering-signs-new-contract-to-end-of-2015

Last edited by a moderator: