What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wayne Bennett

Why wouldn't we. No doubt Stoney will be happy to hear about this. I feel for coaches today. We need more AFL like loyalty in the coaching ranks. Part of me however thinks Tinkler will be able to seriously tempt Bennett with one massive paycheck. I think the Broncos will get their Godfather back though. Benny is not about money. One thing in our favour is Bennett has always regarded Newcastle as a pure club. We would be the biggest challenge of his career by miles and his influence would quash the negative perceptions around us.

Rusty

Juniors
I think it will depend on the money and who we recruit this year, because Wayne won't coach a side that he doesn't believe can win a premiership.

roopy

Referee
We have a chance, but it will take a proposal that lets him put together the best programme in League from the ground up and basically a free hand to do what he wants with a big budget.
Bennett is the only guy who can demand a blank cheque to do what he wants, and i'd give it to him.

Noname36

First Grade
We have a chance, but it will take a proposal that lets him put together the best programme in League from the ground up and basically a free hand to do what he wants with a big budget.

And we can give him that. We can show him how with Tinkler, we're trying to bring the club out of the past, and turn it into a powerhouse on, and off field. We can show him the excellent plans we apparently have in place for our junior nursery, and how with these youngsters coming through, the club's support, its location within an obsessed rugby league area, and now with Tinkler's money...Bennett could build something sensational.

He's said a few times too that he really likes the club, and he obviously has a lot of time for Gids, Costigan, etc. So we would be in with a shot. However, I have a feeling that he'll want to go to a club like Souths or NQ who haven't won a comp or haven't won one in a very long time. We can't really play the "we're desperate for a premiership" card...or at least to the extent other clubs could.

I feel sorry for Stoney, but I really think he'd stay on for the opportunity to learn from Bennett. I do think Stone has the makings to be a very good coach, but the knowledge he could get from Bennett would be fantastic. After working under Bennett and Smith (He's already better than Hagan), Stone would be more than ready to take on the side again once Bennett left.

Spot On

Coach
Well if he is to continue coaching in the NRL, Tinkler will obviously give him a massive deal the likes of which will not be met by any other club. However, I keep hearing that money is not the biggest factor for him when making these decisions. I think it would have some relevance. A bidding war may already be under way between Crowe and Tinkler.

Last edited:

aqua_duck

Coach
If Tinkler is as ambitious for the club as he says he is I've got no doubt he'll do all he can to land Bennett

Gould anyone?
I have wondered about that myself Yoshy just quietly. Would Tinkler be able to wedge Gus out of Commentating heaven and back into the hot seat now that he has a massive ambition and money to burn. Gould was approached ten years ago by Wok to take over the reigns but he declined due to lack of financial muscle. Gould can't rap the club enough and I wonder if he is feeling the coaching bug again now that we have a potential boss who can give him the best setup the game has ever seen.

Spot On

Coach
Drags supporters keep saying the money isn't important to him. I don't believe that. Gut feeling is the golden handshake has already been done with Crowe. However, he has the opportunity to build something massive in Newcastle under the new structure and I hope Tinkler is selling it that way. Oh and writing him a massive cheque!

Last edited:

perverse

Referee
Souths can't offer him the package Tinkler will be able to. plain and simply, they're not rich enough. i can't see Bennett going to a club that he can't see a premiership in, but with an open chequebook from Tinkler he wouldn't have to do much to get us to that point. the class players in the positions we would need, probably a class prop at least, would crawl over broken glass to come and play for Bennett. we will get any player in the world that we want if get Tinkler and Bennett on board.

i wouldn't discount this as a possibility at all at the moment. trying not to get my hopes up too high about it, though.

if we do snag him it will be fun to watch Bunniesman's head implode.

Last edited:

Noname36

First Grade
Just on Gus, I actually can't ever see him to returning to coaching full time (at least in the near future). The set up he's on at the moment is fantastic. Millions from Nine and the Herald, fans lauding him as one of the best ever coaches. Why would he want to lose his position and possibly risk losing this "super coach" view everyone has of him? The media at Nine seem to have put Gus' coaching ability in such high regard, anything he does achieve in coaching will probably be seen as an underachievement. I think Gus is a fantastic coach, and we'd be lucky to have him...however I think he has more to lose going back to coaching than he would not going back, and I think he knows that (as much as he may miss it).

If he did want to go back to coaching though we'd easily be one of his first preferences. The only club he seems to like better is the Roosters, and he knows they're in safe hands with Smithy. He seems to love the Tigers too, but they have Sheens (I don't rate Sheens, but most of the league world seems to).

With Bennett, I think he'll either stay with Saints, or go back to QLD to have one more stint before retiring. I will say though, that we can offer him a a lot more than Souths can...and not just financially.

Souths can't offer him the package Tinkler will be able to. plain and simply, they're not rich enough. i can't see Bennett going to a club that he can't see a premiership in, but with an open chequebook from Tinkler he wouldn't have to do much to get us to that point. the class players in the positions we would need, probably a class prop at least, would crawl over broken glass to come and play for Bennett. we will get any player in the world that we want if get Tinkler and Bennett on board.

i wouldn't discount this as a possibility at all at the moment. trying not to get my hopes up too high about it, though.

if we do snag him it will be fun to watch Bunniesman's head implode.
The telegraph is adamant Crowe has closed the deal. Strangely though they are the only one's who think so. If a local woollongong rag says we are the favourites then surely they would have the insider knowledge. This paper spends half it's time snooping around the Dragons for gossip. No doubt Russell will have a huge say though in what transpires.

perverse

Referee
i'm trying to ignore all paper talk on the issue. the only person who would know for sure what Wayne Bennett is thinking is Wayne Bennett. we can tick a lot of boxes for him. he definitely rates our captain, has wrapped him in the past and selected him as one of his coaches picks in the All Stars team. we can provide him with anything he needs to do as he wishes (assuming the Tinkler bid goes through). in my opinion we're not too many players off being genuine contenders, either. any players he does need will crawl over hot coals to come and play for us just to be coached by him and potentially be part of league history and win a premiership for Bennett at a 3rd club - but then he has this advantage where ever he goes.

as for Stone... put simply, he isn't Wayne Bennett. by all reports a nice guy, could very well be a good coach yet, but he's not Wayne Bennett. if he wants to hang around and play second fiddle to Bennett for the experience and then have another crack, then that would probably be ideal. if he wants a head coaching gig elsewhere i wish him well. if we miss out on Bennett, i'm probably happy to extend Stones contract for a year or 2. i like what he has done with the roster for the most part, add a class prop and our squad is really starting to look sharp. i'm pretty sure he knows it, too, given that we put our feelers out for TLL.

i'm happy to wait and see on this one. i don't think we're any less of a chance than any other club, and we can almost definitely offer him the highest paycheque with Tinkler.

a little more food for thought is that Boyd is rumoured to want to follow Bennett where ever he goes. not sure we could fit him under our cap.

Last edited:

slotmachine

First Grade
Last edited:

Noname36

First Grade
a little more food for thought is that Boyd is rumoured to want to follow Bennett where ever he goes. not sure we could fit him under our cap.

Like you said, nobody knows what Bennett's going to do, I mean he could choose to retire for all we know. However just on the Boyd/Bennett thing...Bennett's 61 and probably about to start his final stint, Boyd's what? 23? Unless he decides to retire at 26, he's going to have to play without Bennett one day. This may be the move where Bennett goes "you can't follow me everywhere mate. Just because I'm leaving the Dragons doesn't mean you have to". And as much as the club he'd go to would welcome Boyd, I think Bennett would be doing the right thing by him by beginning to loosen the ties a little.