What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WC 1st Semi Final: India v New Zealand - Manchester 9/7/19 (NZ won by 18 runs)

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Ross Taylor 19-0
Ross is my man, would be happy to lose, not cool really, but we have won heaps, just beat the poms and Ross to get a hungy..

The Queen would probably prefer Joe Root win. But we all should have a scone, she is our Queen too, probably more interested in the 4th race at Epsom.

undertaker

Coach
Whoever was responsible for hiring Ganguly as a commentator needs to be sacked themselves.

That was some of those most biased cricket commentary I've ever heard. Saying thing towards the end like "Come on India, we can do this!" in an international broadcast is completely unprofessional. Reminds me of Wally Lewis when he used to commentate Origin.

He would've been better off stepping outside the commentary box, putting a skirt on and have a pair of pom poms in his hands.

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach
On the topic of the match though, wow, what a semi-final.

Outstanding bowling performance from Santner, only conceding 7 runs in his first 6 overs!

And that run-out from Guptill has to be the play of the tournament.

vvvrulz

Coach
Whoever was responsible for hiring Ganguly as a commentator needs to be sacked themselves.

That was some of those most biased cricket commentary I've ever heard. Saying thing towards the end like "Come on India, we can do this!" in an international broadcast is completely unprofessional. Reminds me of Wally Lewis when he used to commentate Origin.

He would've been better off stepping outside the commentary box, putting a skirt on and have a pair of pom poms in his hands.

It was corny and uncalled for, but I don’t mind a bit of cheerleading as long as credits given where due. Ganguly correctly called things when we pulled off the win and didn’t pout on air.

Slats, Manju and Warne are guilty of the opposite.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
It was corny and uncalled for, but I don’t mind a bit of cheerleading as long as credits given where due. Ganguly correctly called things when we pulled off the win and didn’t pout on air.

Slats, Manju and Warne are guilty of the opposite.

Ian Smith was doing a bit of it too. You can forgive a bit of passion.

simmo1

First Grade
Ganguly was calling India as pretty much in the final after the game started with 2 maidens.

Commentary was shit all the first day really. Pitch was clearly two paced yet we had Mark Nicholas calling for NZ to up the run rate to 12+ to get up around the 300 par score.

JJ

Immortal
If we are talking about commentator bias, Ian Smith is the benchmark
meh, he's just garden variety biased imo

Back to the cricket - I still can't work out why they bumped Dhoni down, rather than up - especially when his sole intent was to get the game deep - he could have done that at 4 or 5 and wasted the same number of deliveries and they got closer (as Williamson and Taylor did) - just weirdly stupid, and seemed that way at the time to many

TheParraboy

Staff member
meh, he's just garden variety biased imo

Back to the cricket - I still can't work out why they bumped Dhoni down, rather than up - especially when his sole intent was to get the game deep - he could have done that at 4 or 5 and wasted the same number of deliveries and they got closer (as Williamson and Taylor did) - just weirdly stupid, and seemed that way at the time to many

They said in commentary he had some sort of injury, that it hampered his keeping

Not sure what injury, or just a smoke screen to cover up in case the tactic failed, which it did

Iafeta

Referee
Kohli saying that the format needs to be changed because they finished first.... Nz finished first in 1992 and we got Inzamam’d. I don’t recall Martin Crowe (legend) asking for the format to be reviewed.

vvvrulz

Coach
Kohli saying that the format needs to be changed because they finished first.... Nz finished first in 1992 and we got Inzamam’d. I don’t recall Martin Crowe (legend) asking for the format to be reviewed.

He didn’t actually say that though, it’s clickbait headlines.