What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WC 1st Semi Final: India v New Zealand - Manchester 9/7/19 (NZ won by 18 runs)

JJ

Immortal
Someone here said McCullums "shot" from the final last time was the most selfish ever played - dumb statement of course... but even if it was up there, I reckon or did MS played (or did not play) about 30 that were more selfish last night

Bazal

Post Whore
Anyone seen the whinging Indian fans on the interwebs?

They are blowing up that the umpires allegedly missed NZ having too many fielders outside the ring on the ball Dhoni was run out on (based on a graphic, mind, no actual footage of the field has surfaced). Claiming it should have been a no ball and that would have changed the game and Dhoni would have got them home...

Hmm. I think something is a little off about that statement

Pommy

Coach

They are blowing up that the umpires allegedly missed NZ having too many fielders outside the ring on the ball Dhoni was run out on (based on a graphic, mind, no actual footage of the field has surfaced). Claiming it should have been a no ball and that would have changed the game and Dhoni would have got them home...

Indian cricket fans complaining on the Internet? What a change of events.

JJ

Immortal

He did didn't he? They are going home

Timbo

Staff member

Add to that this gem from Kohli in the press conference:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...-bad-cricket-new-zealand-world-cup-semi-final

Indian cricket and not taking responsibility for a loss: name a more iconic duo. I'll wait.

vvvrulz

Coach
Add to that this gem from Kohli in the press conference:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...-bad-cricket-new-zealand-world-cup-semi-final

Indian cricket and not taking responsibility for a loss: name a more iconic duo. I'll wait.

LOL I'm not Kohli defender but that is such a storm in a teacup.

My take, Kohli basically said it sucks to get punished for a spell of bad cricket, but that's the format and that's life. Unless I'm missing something I didn't see a format whinge at all?

Bazal

Post Whore
I truly believe he would have bottled it anyway.

Well unless there's a different rule for fielding restriction no balls it wouldn't have mattered in the slightest.

But yes, I agree with you. Good old Selfish-Mahendra Dhoni

simmo1

First Grade
Just on Dhoni's stupid not out in run chases stat. Here is the records of some other ODI players when not out at the end of a run chases.

Ponting - Won 31. Lost 0. NR 1.

de Villiers - Won 29. Lost 1. The one loss being when India scored 400 and rolled SA for 250 with AB being not out 114 off 101.

Kohli - Won 30. Lost 1 (on Duckworth Lewis with Kohli not out 87).

None of those blokes dropped themselves down the order to play hero either.

Meth

Staff member
ODI matches can be won or lost in a couple of moments. Guptill’s run out. Neesham’s catch. Brilliant.

Santner deserves credit for a sensational spell of bowling too.

vvvrulz

Coach
Just on Dhoni's stupid not out in run chases stat. Here is the records of some other ODI players when not out at the end of a run chases.

de Villiers - Won 29. Lost 1. The one loss being when India scored 400 and rolled SA for 250 with AB being not out 114 off 101.

Nice, really highlights how Dhoni gets a pile of stat's cherry picked for him.

simmo1

First Grade

Here's some more:

Hussey 17-0
Tendulkar 26-0
S.Waugh 26-1-1
Ross Taylor 19-0
Sangakkara 27-2
Big Show 8-0

Almost as if it's part of the not out batsman's job to see them home.

edabomb

First Grade
Serious question though - how much of the final will the commentators spend discussing India? If that main commentator that worships them and Ganguly get a stint in the box we'll be hearing plenty about it. Especially if it's a one sided game.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
If you know a kiwi, make sure you shake his/her hand and say thanks.

If you know an Indian, help them off the floor, foetal position is for Virat not them.

V Kohli...LBW Boult....1

Timbo

Staff member
The way that the BCCI has controlled this narrative about Dhoni is an absolute work of art.

Anywhere online today (barring places like this where there are few to no Indian fans) there is even a suggestion that Dhoni’s innings was not great, the person who dares slight the legendary MS is downvoted or shouted into oblivion.

How is it that the fans of every other country can see what a selfish cricketer he is but virtually every Indian fan reckons he’s better than Bradman.