What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WC2013 venue announcement LIVE 8:15am GMT

hutch

First Grade
you can't be serious, it just sounded like 300 people clapping and the noise of the PA system going at the same time

I see every reason why they'd lie, because there is a possible WC home match at stake.

Look, I wish it were true, but according to French journalists "300 at the most" were there, then afterwards, the Irish came out with the 3,100 figure. If they're not lying, why can't they provide the exact number? surely there are turnstiles at Thomond Park!

Also, the shot at fulltime just looked like all the family and friends had come down to the front rows to clap them off, look again, there is no-one in behind them.

Lastly; here's a crowd shot from during the match just in case you're still not convinved:

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=393802&page=2

I've seen that crowd photo. There are a hell of a lot more than 300 people in it. Maybe not quite 3000, but I'd say closer to that than 300!

yakstorm

First Grade
citylocalnews.com/avignon/2011/10/20/avignon-le-choc-france-angleterre-c-est-au-parc-des-sports

In that news from last month, you will find Guy Laforgue, "director" of the national team (no idea how to translate it), saying that the English have already confirmed that two games will be played in France, most probably in Avignon and Perpignan (Gilbert-Brutus)

Still, I can't figured out the stadium policy, why Gilbert Brutus and not Aimé-Giral (the union side's field), which is bigger (14,500 vs 10,500), and why Avignon stadium which is basically a piece of shit. Really, it's one of the most awful stadium we have over here.

Stadiums like Ernest-Wallon (Toulouse, 19,000) and Gilbert-brutus would have made a lot more sense.

Gilbert Brutus has a capacity of just over 13,000 after the work done this year at the venue. There is also the chance of more construction at the venue in time for the 2013 RLWC which would take it up to 16K.

Even if no additional upgrades happen, I'm happy with the game being at Gilbert Brutus rather than the Union field. Hiring costs would be lower, and it is the league ground, we should be pumping as much money back into our own venues as possible.

Avignon deserves the chance to host a match just based upon it's strong crowds in the past two years. Whether the venue is ugly looking or not, at least you can count on a 16K crowd being there.

As for people's claims saying France should have no games, I don't agree with that. It's not uncommon for World Cups to be based in a country and for group games to be played elsewhere. The 99 Union WC was hosted by Wales yet had games in Scotland, Ireland, England & France.

Scotland & Wales also hosted matches in the 07 Union World Cup despite the host being France.

The more people we get to a World Cup, the better for the international game, and lets be honest you're going to get more people paying to attend France v Samoa or France v PNG in France than you will in Leigh, Huddersfield or Reading...

hutch

First Grade
im happy that perpignon and avignon are getting games. france has done a lot of work of late and has had some great crowds. we could see some record crowds in france which could lead to a future role as world cup host!

Poul

Juniors
terrible sound feedback, I can barely understand what's being said...

Yeah. It's lucky they put the venues up on the screen, otherwise I wouldn't have had a clue as to who was getting games.

Neath, Kirklees and Calderdale as well.

taipan

Referee
Theese are the venues for the matches ,trying to decypher my shorthand:
Avignon
Bristol
Calderdale
Copeland
Hull
Kirklees
Leeds
Limerick
Neath
Perpignion
Rochdale
St Helens
Warrington
Wigan
Wrexham
Finals from what I can get from the babble (terrible sound) to be decided.
Gee i hope the RLWC commentary is better than that sound.Sounded like a frog talking underwater.

Last edited:

Mullins!!!

Juniors
Apart from the sound quality I was rally happy with the professionalism and the graphics in particular! That was kinda exciting haha...I mean we just watched the announcement of what stadiums would host games live for an event 2 years from now! lol people complain a lot about international league but no one can deny it's moving forward! :) Happy the french and limerick got games

Latest posts