What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WE HAVE NO SPEED

Old Timer

Coach
You seem to have alot of negativity towards Nighty. Tell me, who do we replace him with?
And dont nominate an external winger, because that kills off the theory that we need to promote juniors, so from within, which juniors do we have that have shown they can 100% be an improvement on Nighty?
At least with Nighty we know what we are getting. Yes He lacks in speed but he makes up for it with alot of other aspects.
You seem to be fixated on only speed.
Tell me, in the games Nighty jumped into fullback to replace Dugan, did he put a foot wrong?
The guy can handle fullback and wing, and the only thing he doesnt bring to the table is speed.
Im not saying he should be winger and his spot is 100% safe, but to be adamant and demand he be replaced is silly.
He doesnt let us down, he gives 100%, is reliable, still scores tries and is a St.George legend.
We have alot more serious issues then just nightys speed.
Cut the guy some slack.
I have said for some time line up all the young backs playing wing and centre and have a straight out foot race to see who is the quickest.
Have a look at their try scoring ability through their grade career and then make a selection Garrick, Lomax whoever.
The Nighty supporters can see nothing beyond safe, dependable, GF 2010 and are blind to the tries that are leaked on his side and the lack of long range tries scored on his wing and both are telling factors.
All the dribble about Nighty at FB and how well he did just ask yourself in all honestly who brought more to the position in attack Dufty or Nighty?
The thing that shits me the most with all the pro Nighty posters is "he is a legend" as if that means he should always be picked whilst ever he offers his services.
His status of greatness for his past deeds is not in question his ability to outperform others now is what is in question.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
If we are going with one of the young guns.
I would give garrick ( hes 185cm and 95 kg)first go he has played against men in revs for all of last year bar a couple of games.
Herbert (is 93kg and 182cm)is more of a centre to me but would also do a good job.
There is also pereira (hes 183cm and 98kg) he is one of the quickest at training.
I would throw one of them in if nene does not pick up.
I wish nene would wake up and put in because he could be great.

Who to replace him with , Mann quick elusive and can score tries .....
Yes Mann has proven he can play on the wing and score tries.
If it wasn't for him, 2016 would've been an even bigger disaster.
But the problem is not Nightly. The focus is all wrong.
Nighty is just doing what he is paid to do.
The problem is McGregor and his reluctance to replace Nighty for someone else.
If indeed there are faster, better wingers within our ranks, then why doesn't McGregor use them??
So while there is plenty of trash talk about Nightingale and his lack of speed and how easy the tries are that he scores etc.
He is not the problem.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I know I have been on the speed argument for a while now BUT its getting more concerning because of the following facts:

Nene mcdonald: He was recruited because of his speed. He is reluntant to run. Whe he does he is easy for the opposition. SHOULD BE SHOWN THE DOOR

Nightengale: Slow but reliable. I remember a couple of times during the year he was run down by a forward WTF. SHOULD BE RETIRED GRACEFULLY

Laifai: Busted and a belmore reject SHOULD BE SHOWN THE DOOR

Relunctance to promote youth: I read that their are some gun backs in the juniors. Whilst other teams promote the youth WE do not. Maybe its the philosophy that forwards win games mentality.

Forwards: At the moment our forward stocks have been boosted by Graham and possibly Walmsley. Why eat into the cap at the expense of backs. This is from a coach that was supposedly a gun centre.

THOUGHTS??????
Does anyone else read Dino’s posts in a ‘bobcat goldthwaite’ kind of voice?

Life's Good

Coach
I’m confident Dufty will get a fair go to settle in and remain a believer in his ability to deliver with a good 6/7 in place. Positions 2-5 is where, quite rightly, the pressure should be highest given the little turnover last year in these positions despite the minimal return for that loyalty. I can’t argue the merits of the juniors Herbert, Lomax, Garrick etc. because frankly I haven’t seen a lot of them. Mann also remains a very likely contender. The fact they are on the radar says their turn will come.
My thinking is the order of pressure on the current 2-5 is as follows:
Aitken - needs to come out swinging & live up to the wraps from 2015. If not, he is first to NSW Cup
McDonald - has to realise he has the body to do some serious damage by running straight & fast.
Lafai - must stop the brain fades & do what he does best - not think and play what’s in front of him
Nighty - least likely to be dropped because he is viewed as safe & this is something SuperCoach likes(except driving home after a couple too many).
Anyway, that’s my 2 bobs worth.

Last edited:

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
If we are going with one of the young guns.
I would give garrick ( hes 185cm and 95 kg)first go he has played against men in revs for all of last year bar a couple of games.
Herbert (is 93kg and 182cm)is more of a centre to me but would also do a good job.
There is also pereira (hes 183cm and 98kg) he is one of the quickest at training.
I would throw one of them in if nene does not pick up.
I wish nene would wake up and put in because he could be great.
Nene, what about Nightingale.?

Changa

Juniors
Seems like a few posts continually refer to Garrick and Lomax as 'quick'?

Question is, are they genuine gamebreakers with their speed or just faster than most of our current crop?

Only 2 that I know for certain have that quality, are Field and Dufty.

slippery5

Juniors
You seem to have alot of negativity towards Nighty. Tell me, who do we replace him with?
And dont nominate an external winger, because that kills off the theory that we need to promote juniors, so from within, which juniors do we have that have shown they can 100% be an improvement on Nighty?
At least with Nighty we know what we are getting. Yes He lacks in speed but he makes up for it with alot of other aspects.
You seem to be fixated on only speed.
Tell me, in the games Nighty jumped into fullback to replace Dugan, did he put a foot wrong?
The guy can handle fullback and wing, and the only thing he doesnt bring to the table is speed.
Im not saying he should be winger and his spot is 100% safe, but to be adamant and demand he be replaced is silly.
He doesnt let us down, he gives 100%, is reliable, still scores tries and is a St.George legend.
We have alot more serious issues then just nightys speed.
Cut the guy some slack.
When are we going to STOP using the old RELIABLE description ?? can't remember any side winning a comp full of reliables. No he didn't put a foot wrong but, it's his lack of putting one foot in front of the other quickly ( which is what is require as a winger ) makes him a "Reliability"
Love Nighty but, another year, another foot slower !!!!!!!

JDHD

Juniors
I have said for some time line up all the young backs playing wing and centre and have a straight out foot race to see who is the quickest.
Have a look at their try scoring ability through their grade career and then make a selection Garrick, Lomax whoever.
The Nighty supporters can see nothing beyond safe, dependable, GF 2010 and are blind to the tries that are leaked on his side and the lack of long range tries scored on his wing and both are telling factors.
All the dribble about Nighty at FB and how well he did just ask yourself in all honestly who brought more to the position in attack Dufty or Nighty?
The thing that shits me the most with all the pro Nighty posters is "he is a legend" as if that means he should always be picked whilst ever he offers his services.
His status of greatness for his past deeds is not in question his ability to outperform others now is what is in question.

Exactly. Ian Healy never got his farewell. Deserved ain't got nothing to do with it.

Field will be lucky to see any first grade in the near future and I will be surprised if he is at the club beyond next year.

He like Mann are utilities at best and like Field i don't see Mann being a regular and surprised he stayed.

Dufty has a ways to go to be a regular fullback and I could see him losing out to Lomax in the future.

Garrick and Herbert have potential but i wouldn't be relying upon them being regular first graders at this stage but certainly down the road they could be.

MrDragon007

Juniors
Nighty wasnt that bad in 2017. Watch him go in 2018, thats all im gunna say.
With the best halves combo we have had in years playing behind what will be one of the comps best forward packs, our centres and wingers will go up another leavel.
2018 will see us finish top 4, im calling it from now.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Yes Mann has proven he can play on the wing and score tries.
If it wasn't for him, 2016 would've been an even bigger disaster.
But the problem is not Nightly. The focus is all wrong.
Nighty is just doing what he is paid to do.
The problem is McGregor and his reluctance to replace Nighty for someone else.
If indeed there are faster, better wingers within our ranks, then why doesn't McGregor use them??
So while there is plenty of trash talk about Nightingale and his lack of speed and how easy the tries are that he scores etc.
He is not the problem.

Exactly dennis.
Its 100% the way we coached to play.
If there had a better structure as well as more than 1 plan.
I think having hunt how can use both sides of the field will help.
Just hope they are aloud to play there game.

emu62

Juniors
You made a statement and now you are shying away from it.
You clearly stated he is slow but makes up for it by being a GF hero and consistent.
You offered an excuse or reason why he and also Lafai should be selected and in fact went on to state that you don't think they will cost us games.
In respect of context it is pretty simple they will not help us win a premiership and in fact continually selecting them will cost us what ever small chance we ever had.
Tell me someone that played in the 2010 GF that is still playing is better now than he was then?

OT , I for one enjoyed your relationship metaphor & as much as i love Nighty , i think your spot on

BennyV

Referee
Anyone who has Nightingale in the starting line save for a few injuries isn't serious about being competitive next year. That includes Mary.

Saintsified

Bench
I know I have been on the speed argument for a while now BUT its getting more concerning because of the following facts:

Nene mcdonald: He was recruited because of his speed. He is reluntant to run. Whe he does he is easy for the opposition. SHOULD BE SHOWN THE DOOR

Nightengale: Slow but reliable. I remember a couple of times during the year he was run down by a forward WTF. SHOULD BE RETIRED GRACEFULLY

Laifai: Busted and a belmore reject SHOULD BE SHOWN THE DOOR

Relunctance to promote youth: I read that their are some gun backs in the juniors. Whilst other teams promote the youth WE do not. Maybe its the philosophy that forwards win games mentality.

Forwards: At the moment our forward stocks have been boosted by Graham and possibly Walmsley. Why eat into the cap at the expense of backs. This is from a coach that was supposedly a gun centre.

THOUGHTS??????
NIGHTINGALE will and can retire whenever the f**k he wants and i vote YES to that. He is our Lockyer. A little more respect for the man, he is a current International, what more can the guy do?

Old Timer

Coach
NIGHTINGALE will and can retire whenever the f**k he wants and i vote YES to that. He is our Lockyer. A little more respect for the man, he is a current International, what more can the guy do?
What else can he do?
Retire gracefully before the season starts?
Tear up his contrsct?
Getting picked for the Kiwis so what they’re shit

Latest posts