What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We have signed Chris Walker

mickdo

Coach
You know something's wrong when even the Sharks are laughing at us.

I'm laughing at their trophy cabinet

empty.bmp

oldmancraigy

Coach
I just can't get past how every time we make an announcement everyone gets cranky and angry because it isn't Greg Inglis or Michael Weyman or Jonathan Thurston or whoever.

Nice attempt at positivism here, but perhaps people are crying for reasons other than "it's not a massive name"

Chris Walker is a terrible rugby league player.

He is perhaps the worst defender ever to lace up his footy boots (and sometimes he even forgets to lace them up). In attack he has had some nice moments over his career - but his main asset (speed) is fading.

Carl Webb is talented, but lazy. Reni Maitua is talented, but with immense personal problems.

All we can say about Chris Walker is that he's fast - that is, he used to be - AND he comes with personal problems on the side.

Chris Walker is a terrible rugby league player.

To those who think Burt is soft - welcome to a whole new level of softness; to those who think Grothe is bad defensively - welcome to a whole new level of badness.

Surely there was somebody else, ANYBODY ELSE we could've spent money (however little) on instead?

barney gumble

Juniors
Sounds like recruitment for the NSW Cup is going well, but we still do have an NRL team next year don't we?? Can't blame DA for this pathetic signing, time to brace myself for a fresh new barrage of sledging from my workmates, Eels supporters need thick hides these days.

Jodeci

Bench
I dont think it's a bad signing.

He is talented, quick, experienced, Origin rep and a handy back up if Guru pulls up sore and with Hayne on rep duties mid year, he could fill in some holes.

We ALL whinged about Inu's poor form for every game this year.

With no Inu or Jono Wright, Walker could be handy at times.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I dont think it's a bad signing.

He is talented, quick, experienced, Origin rep and a handy back up if Guru pulls up sore and with Hayne on rep duties mid year, he could fill in some holes.

We ALL whinged about Inu's poor form for every game this year.

With no Inu or Jono Wright, Walker could be handy at times.

Yep what I think. Everyone needs to stop whinging. Our problem last year was our depth now we are addressing it and everyone is still whinging

Stagger eel

Staff member
my issue with all this is not signing blokes at bargain basement prices or giving guys a second chance of redemption but the fact that we've wasted resources and time in trying to get that 1 Marquee play maker that would take us forward and unfortunately we've used up too much energy on certain players who are still under lock and key for next year and include Orford in that also.

my question for those bagging the signing of Walker, who else would you have signed ahead of him at the rate that he's agreed to?

Stagger eel

Staff member
out of all the players that we've lost Jono is the only bloke who opted for less money to sign else where.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
my issue with all this is not signing blokes at bargain basement prices or giving guys a second chance of redemption but the fact that we've wasted resources and time in trying to get that 1 Marquee play maker that would take us forward and unfortunately we've used up too much energy on certain players who are still under lock and key for next year and include Orford in that also.

my question for those bagging the signing of Walker, who else would you have signed ahead of him at the rate that he's agreed to?

I don't think we have wasted resources or time in signing that marquee player maker. Our biggest problem has been half-back and the club have made a great every effort to sign one. It is good the club is fully aware what the side needs to be a force

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
out of all the players that we've lost Jono is the only bloke who opted for less money to sign else where.

yeah I agree, really started to warm to him last year. He was starting to find his feet in the NRL. If I was picking the side last year, he would have been in the side in front of Inu.

Obviously Wright didn't think he had a future with the eels, do you think it was Anderson or Kearney who lead him to beleive this?

barney gumble

Juniors

That's not the point. So based on your logic we should only be in the market for 'cheap' players, George Piggins had the same logic.

It's a bit like buying a used car. That VN Commodore was once a good car, but there's a good reason it's sat in the car lot for 6 months with no one wanting to buy it despite going so cheap. You only need to look a bit closer to see it's a peice of sh*t that will only give you trouble.

boxhead

First Grade
Agree with a lot of points guys, we have to stay positive; those complaining about Walker, come on guys, he doesn't cost as much and is good value for little money.

lingard

Coach
Most people will disagree, but I rate Walker higher than Eric Grothe. I reckon he`ll see a lot of first grade. With Walker on one wing and Burt on the other, we`ll have speed and creativity to burn. Well done.

Jodeci

Bench

We missed the boat in regards to a no.7 due to a former player telling his story on how our club is run and missed out on that signature.

We have signed no doubt two of the best young prospects in NYC regarding the no.7 jersey and the club will further develop them.

Yeah sure we have let the likes of Hokko, KK, Tim Smith and co over the years but they were decisions the coaching staff thought at times didnt warrent a stay with our club.

Look at our NYC from this year, the worst season by far I have ever seen from our development team but we cant expect every year that our young kids will be in the GF.

I dont think we spend enough time with our juniors and Smithy at his time here made sure our juniors where top notch quality but in recent times that care factor on jumior talent is slowly fading.

With regards to Walker's signing, there really isn't much available for 2011.

Ando had upto September to work on getting new stock for 2011 and has failed.

I dont care what some of the regulars on here say about recruitment, I know for a fact that Ando was given full control of recruitment to the NRL squad from the begining of the year and has failed.

That's why Ozzie took it upon himself to do his own recruitment with permission of the baord to source what was available for 2011 but other clubs recruit all times of the year and lock up current members early in the year to put on stop on dragging out negotiations like what we had with Justin Horo.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Most people will disagree, but I rate Walker higher than Eric Grothe. I reckon he`ll see a lot of first grade. With Walker on one wing and Burt on the other, we`ll have speed and creativity to burn. Well done.

not much height there

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
That's not the point. So based on your logic we should only be in the market for 'cheap' players, George Piggins had the same logic.

It's a bit like buying a used car. That VN Commodore was once a good car, but there's a good reason it's sat in the car lot for 6 months with no one wanting to buy it despite going so cheap. You only need to look a bit closer to see it's a peice of sh*t that will only give you trouble.

You go for "expensive" players when you have a sh*t side with cheap players. You go for cheap players when you have some really good players and want some depth in the squad. Look at our side;

Backs
Hayne - enough said
Tahu - very good player didn't think he was as bad as some made out this year
Grothe - when fit one of the best wingers in the comp
Burt - good quality NRL player, not to expensive every side needs players like him.

Halves
No experience but there is some potential in Humble, Mortimer, Murray - time will tell

Fowards
Hindmarsh - one of the best
Fui, Poore, Mannah - three of the best props
Horo, Smith, Shackleton- good backrower

So we have quality just need to depth

mrpwnd

Bench
Don't think it's really a question of his ability but more the fact that Walker's a dirty QLDer inbred grub with some crazy mental issues.

Of course, he'll be far from the winger that he used to be though - 30 years old, livers probably a bit gone and head's all crazy.

I'll be happy enough if he can just catch the ball during the pre season.

strider

Post Whore

well the thing is 1 great marquee player might actually make a difference ... chris walker playing for wenty when he's not injured probably won't

i don't really care if walker is wenty's star centre/winger or not .... but its worth a laugh that we can't attract anyone of note, but we can attract a bunch of guys who no one else really wants :lol: