What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We have signed Chris Walker

Gronk

Staff member
No marquee player moved, the one we chased thought he had a case to get granted a release, he and his manager could not get it through. Was definitely worth a shot.

See what happens from here re a 7, and I don't understand the negativity surrounding Kearney, speak to some players that know him and you will have a different opinion.

Funny I don't get the feeling that anyone has got SK in their sights. It's great that the players respect him as well.

This season will either a rags to riches success or much of the same. The Board are on record with their impatience for results. April election. Interesting times indeed. I wonder if SK has any idea what this year will be like in the pressure cooker that is our club. :lol:

PB

Bench
I don't get what all the fuss is about, we are for once going into next season with options.

Webb and Walker may be out of form but they come in with experience and cost us very little, the same could also be said of Reni.

And like Stagger said we are going to have players fighting for position, and I don't think Webb and Walker will be content in playing for Wenty, IMO they are good buys for the amount we have spent on them.

And if Walker isn't content playing for Wenty will he walk away? His track record suggests he would. Teh you have wasted a spot and lost that depth.

I like Jodeci's name she threw out there - Michael lett. When it comes to wingers, there are plenty of wingers who can fill that "depth role" and still may have some development left. Kane Manahera played on the wing all year for the QLD Cup winning Northern Pride, heck Brett Anderson played centre and would still only be mid 20's and a reasonable backup. I have watched this bloke Liam Georgetown up there for about three or four years (probably about 25) playing for Redcliffe and he is a fantastic player. Tall and fast (a poor mans Greg inglis), and a try scoring machine at that level playing fullback and wing which would make him more than capable of being a depth player who may develop?

I guess when I am signing a depth player, i want to see some "upside", I don't see upside in Walker.

Stagger eel

Staff member
And if Walker isn't content playing for Wenty will he walk away? His track record suggests he would. Teh you have wasted a spot and lost that depth.

I like Jodeci's name she threw out there - Michael lett. When it comes to wingers, there are plenty of wingers who can fill that "depth role" and still may have some development left. Kane Manahera played on the wing all year for the QLD Cup winning Northern Pride, heck Brett Anderson played centre and would still only be mid 20's and a reasonable backup. I have watched this bloke Liam Georgetown up there for about three or four years (probably about 25) playing for Redcliffe and he is a fantastic player. Tall and fast (a poor mans Greg inglis), and a try scoring machine at that level playing fullback and wing which would make him more than capable of being a depth player who may develop?

I guess when I am signing a depth player, i want to see some "upside", I don't see upside in Walker.

Liam Georgetown couldn't crack the big time with Penrith, I would prefer Walker to him any day of the week..

by the way, I hope Jodeci enjoyed her sex change...:lol:

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Michael Lett played in the lower grades and was such a liability that he was dumped mid season. And on Georgetown, it is a bit easier to look good in the QLD Cup.

I like Gould's idea of bringing out ESL players for 2 year stints, I would take Ryan Atkins from Warrington and throw in Lee Briers as our new halfback.

Mateo Moi Moi

Juniors
To be honest, I think any signings are good signings at Parramatta. We haven't always been going out and signing players. While the players we have signed are a bit older than the norm, I think in all cases I reckon the change in club will bring the best out in the recruits and some of the players around them fighting for positions. It provides some good depths for injuries and rep footy too.

Fullbacks - Hayne, Burt, Humble, Reddy
Wingers - Grothe, Burt, Reddy, Walker, Atkins
Centres - Tahu, Reddy, Maitua, Smith
Halves - Robson, Mortimer, McGuire, Humble (and Orford hopefully)
Props - Moimoi, Mannah, Poore, Webb, Shackleton, Manuokafoa
Backrow - Hindmarsh, Smith, Horo, Shackleton, Oake, Lasalo
Hookers - Keating, Mitchell, Robson, McGuire

Thrown in a couple of rookies to come through the ranks and I think we have got most bases covered. Orford signing would be a huge plus though. And we might be short on an actual centre (not winger turned centre).

Gronk

Staff member
To be honest, I think any signings are good signings at Parramatta. We haven't always been going out and signing players. While the players we have signed are a bit older than the norm, I think in all cases I reckon the change in club will bring the best out in the recruits and some of the players around them fighting for positions. It provides some good depths for injuries and rep footy too.

Fullbacks - Hayne, Burt, Humble, Reddy
Wingers - Grothe, Burt, Reddy, Walker, Atkins
Centres - Tahu, Reddy, Maitua, Smith
Halves - Robson, Mortimer, McGuire, Humble (and Orford hopefully)
Props - Moimoi, Mannah, Poore, Webb, Shackleton, Manuokafoa
Backrow - Hindmarsh, Smith, Horo, Shackleton, Oake, Lasalo
Hookers - Keating, Mitchell, Robson, McGuire

Thrown in a couple of rookies to come through the ranks and I think we have got most bases covered. Orford signing would be a huge plus though. And we might be short on an actual centre (not winger turned centre).

Pretty sure that Reni will play 6 or 13. Centre ?

PB

Bench
Michael Lett played in the lower grades and was such a liability that he was dumped mid season. And on Georgetown, it is a bit easier to look good in the QLD Cup.

I like Gould's idea of bringing out ESL players for 2 year stints, I would take Ryan Atkins from Warrington and throw in Lee Briers as our new halfback.

No doubt it is easier to look good in Q-Cup, but we are only looking for depth right? Georgetown is just an example, but he is a player who is capable and is still on the up. Walker got turned down by Q-Cup clubs.

Having said that, I don't mind your/Gould's comment. And if we have to spend money - why not spend a bit on the overs to bring out someone with quality, who is younger (22-26) and is more likely to continue to develop.

Bigfella

Coach
Still light on for centres on that given that Reni misses a big chunk; neither he nor Ben would be regarded as genuine centre options at this stage; and that both Joel and T have injury issues?

jk13

First Grade
walker was playing all rite if you have an organiser to stab through a grubber, chip kick or good cut out pass for him. but if you rely on him to break tackles and defend, the gurgler he shall go

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Still light on for centres on that given that Reni misses a big chunk; neither he nor Ben would be regarded as genuine centre options at this stage; and that both Joel and T have injury issues?

You can add the following to the centre spot if needed for a couple of games;

- Sio
- Loko
- Atkins
- Horo
- Karl Filga
- Lassalo
- A couple of Toyota cup players who I forget their names ( I think Rory) could play if needed

Eelementary

Post Whore
Nice attempt at positivism here, but perhaps people are crying for reasons other than "it's not a massive name"

Chris Walker is a terrible rugby league player.

He is perhaps the worst defender ever to lace up his footy boots (and sometimes he even forgets to lace them up). In attack he has had some nice moments over his career - but his main asset (speed) is fading.

Carl Webb is talented, but lazy. Reni Maitua is talented, but with immense personal problems.

All we can say about Chris Walker is that he's fast - that is, he used to be - AND he comes with personal problems on the side.

Chris Walker is a terrible rugby league player.

To those who think Burt is soft - welcome to a whole new level of softness; to those who think Grothe is bad defensively - welcome to a whole new level of badness.

Surely there was somebody else, ANYBODY ELSE we could've spent money (however little) on instead?

I like you, oldman. I really do. And I like what you say.

And I agree, tbh - Walker is not a great player IMO either.

But he is a back-up player. Sure, he's not the messiah - but if our backline can stay intact, he won't get a look-in.

He wasn't signed as our marquee, first choice back, and some of the backlash here would tend to suggest that that was indeed the case.

I understand people's criticism - I am just asking them to put it in perspective and relax just a little bit.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Suity the difference between 81 and 2011 would be that Stephen Kearney (with all due respect Mr Kearney) is no Jack Gibson.

I admire the blind faith of some supporters on here who see this as a good "depth" signing. Seriously i do, sometimes i wish i had that blind faith.

But Chris Walker was rejected by half a dozen QLD Cup sides! If we were in an injury sitation where we needed a back up winger, surely we would have a 20 year old lower grader/NYC player who coud fill in on the wing an do as good a job as Walker and would be improving for the future?!

I think you'll find blokes like Loko, Sio, etc. - who ARE our future - are not yet ready to make the step up. Hence the signing of a more experienced bloke.

I'm no Walker fan, but I'll wait to see how he acts and plays before I lay the boot in. Love him or hate him he's an Eel now. I am a PROUD Parramatta Eels Member and will support him. I understand why people are frustrated but you have to remember that he will not feature prominently in our first 17 unless we are royally screwed.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I think you'll find blokes like Loko, Sio, etc. - who ARE our future - are not yet ready to make the step up. Hence the signing of a more experienced bloke.

I'm no Walker fan, but I'll wait to see how he acts and plays before I lay the boot in. Love him or hate him he's an Eel now. I am a PROUD Parramatta Eels Member and will support him. I understand why people are frustrated but you have to remember that he will not feature prominently in our first 17 unless we are royally screwed.

or if he shows some unbelievable form in reserve grade !!

SeftonBoy

Juniors

Don't be so sure that he won't play in the first 17. He's a Kearney signing so maybe he can see the good in him that you don't. Kearney will play with the style of play & 17 that he thinks will win football games. If that means Walker playing ahead of Burt then our opinions won't come into it.

My opinion though is that the writing is on the wall about Burt. Walker & Atkins will want his spot that he'll have to improve a lot on the rubbish he served up last year.

Latest posts