What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'We should have won four comps' - Willie

Rainbow

Juniors
Iafeta said:
I just wonder... I've got this funny feeling, bare with me here fellas, I know this is a little out there, but don't players have something to do with on field results? Yes, as a matter of fact, I'm sure they do. I'm quite certain of in fact. Wouldn't you therefore say if he believed the squad should have won four comps that as individual players they underachieved? And therefore wouldn't you say the egg is also on his face? Yes I'mquite certain football games aren't always won by the bloke on the sidelines.

Brad Fittler is an inexperienced coach, Steve Folkes is a taskmaster with a fine record as a player and coach, I just feel for Freddy getting this bloke on board, because if they don't win premierships, and there's an audit as to why, Willie's not going to blame the roster. It'll always be the coaches fault.

I really think Willie needs to understand his role as a player better, and how much influence collectively players have on game by game results, season by season results. It's amazing when you attempt to give yourself a bit of accountability how much your individual and collective performance will improve, rather than look to the easiest scapegoat you can find.

No Iafeta.

Willie's logic says that the premierships that should have been won were Folkes fault but the 1 premiership that was won was the players. Don't you get it:sarcasm: :crazy: sarcasm

adamkungl

Immortal
Newcastlerabbit said:
Your drawing a long bow comparing Walker to Mason.At least Walker never shat on a CEO's desk.

Pfff. At least Mason didn't finally show some 'form', get picked for origin, then get arrested before playing a game. Plus, Walker's crap.

Canard

Immortal
Rugby League is a big enough sport in Australia, it doesnt need "any media" it can get.

For example does anyone here honestly think that Ben Cousins stuff is hurting the NRL? or vice versa helping the AFL?

To say that Mason does more for league than ET ever did is such a way out point, that its impossible to argue with.

Ive got a lot of respect for the Bulldogs culture and how they turn no names into stars, but does anyone posting here actually think that there talent level was that good, that the current "era" should have won 4 comps!!!

Just going by the backs alone, Im not sure some of them would even make first grade at a lot of other top 4 NRL teams. How many backs have repped (and City Country isnt a REAL rep game) in the last 4 years or so?

If Steve Price says Folkes is OK, thats good enough for me.

adamkungl said:
Pfff. At least Mason didn't finally show some 'form', get picked for origin, then get arrested before playing a game. Plus, Walker's crap.

True walker is crap.But he is a choir boy compared to Mason's off field indescretions.

Tom Ace

Bench
nqboy said:
You like sucking willie off?

That's an impressive call you've come up with there sport. I don't think that pun has been used before.

Oh, I notice your a boy from North Queensland. Sorry.

Damn, now I have that feeling you get when you unknowingly tease someone that's handicapped.

Dave Q

Coach
Max Power said:
Oh I see what you did, you used my call and turned it back around on me.

Ingenious!

Roosters...100 years of league misery.

No match for the might and power of Souths.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Canard said:
Just going by the backs alone, Im not sure some of them would even make first grade at a lot of other top 4 NRL teams. How many backs have repped (and City Country isnt a REAL rep game) in the last 4 years or so?

If Steve Price says Folkes is OK, thats good enough for me.

Why 4 years?

Hazem El Masri has represented NSW (07) and Australia (02).
Willie Tonga has represented QLD and Australia.
Matt Utai has represented NZ.
Ben Roberts IS representing NZ.
Regardless of what you think, City v Country is a rep game, and Luke Patten and Brent Sherwin (AND Bwaif) all represented one of those sides while playing at the Bulldogs. Luke Patten would be a representative were it not for the absolute landslide of talented fullbacks in the game at the moment, and he's showed that after being our player of the year two years running.

Our backline is solid, it simply lacks speed in certain sections is all. Daryl Millard is quite quick if you can give him some space tbh.

Time will tell but anyone writing us off should think again :cool:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
OVP said:
So just what does that mean ? Everyone LOVES 1971 POWER !! ? :oops:

One comp in the last 30 years... AND you've had two extra seasons over Souths to do it... are you really that proud?

atomic_crimson

Juniors
RoostarGirl said:
You know I remember when the Dogs beat us in the 04 Grand Final Folkes was very smug saying they would be the first team to win back to back in a while......talking about big ego. Didn't even make the Grand Final.

He didn't say we would, he said considering the team was still the same there was no reason why the guys couldn't have a shot at it.

Dogaholic

First Grade
atomic_crimson said:
He didn't say we would, he said considering the team was still the same there was no reason why the guys couldn't have a shot at it.

We didn't have a horrific injury toll in 05

atomic_crimson

Juniors
Dogaholic said:
We didn't have a horrific injury toll in 05

I was going to mention that but thought the whole "you cannot blame injuries" dribble might appear as at the time it seemed every team bar canterbury was allowed to use the injury excuse.

I think we used a total of over 30 players with weeks spent on the sideline between them all totalling up to over 100 weeks. At one point we used a fourth string fullback in luke young after hazem, patten, cutler were all injured in consecutive weeks.

Gee_Up

Juniors
You can't compare Mundine to Mason. Mundine has backed himself and thrown his hat in the ring to back his claims- you have to respect him for that. Mundine has improved his media comments out of sight.. Mason is still talking big but hasn't played big for over a season.

Folkes was justified in defending the club he loves by suggesting that Mason's release was granted after the players had been consulted. Willy is just sooking his former team mates knew when to stop flogging a dead horse.

More supporters of other clubs are liking the Bulldogs more and hating the Roosters more.

The only chance of Mason playing the Bulldogs in round 4 is if he does his usual running wide or in broken play, to avoid the likely injury he will receive taking a hitup against Asotasi/Sutton and Kidwell in Round 1.

Dogaholic

First Grade
Gee_Up said:
You can't compare Mundine to Mason. Mundine has backed himself and thrown his hat in the ring to back his claims- you have to respect him for that. Mundine has improved his media comments out of sight.. Mason is still talking big but hasn't played big for over a season.

Folkes was justified in defending the club he loves by suggesting that Mason's release was granted after the players had been consulted. Willy is just sooking his former team mates knew when to stop flogging a dead horse.

More supporters of other clubs are liking the Bulldogs more and hating the Roosters more.

The only chance of Mason playing the Bulldogs in round 4 is if he does his usual running wide or in broken play, to avoid the likely injury he will receive taking a hitup against Asotasi/Sutton and Kidwell in Round 1.

Exactly. I don't know what some people expect Folkes to say when he was asked "Is the club better off without Willie?".

Is he meant to say "No. This will really hurt our club, we are now going to self distruct"?

Of course he is going to say that we are better off. Bottom line is, it is the truth. We may have a lean year but we will be back amongst it before too long.

Game_Breaker

Coach
LOL!

I cant believe I missed this.

Folkes didnt even say anything personal.

Not meeting your obligations = Bad influence

No Bad influence = Better off.

Ofcourse the best way to get back at him, is to throw a tantrum in your column. Very mature.

Got no idea what he expected, if you sign a contract for 400K there usually is some work involved.

Latest posts