What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Week 1 finals - game day thread Eels v Knights

TheParraboy

Staff member
I thought Paulo was a but overused in the heat.
He did come off but somehow I didn't see it

There's still many weeks to go against no weak teams going forward.

I hope Junz is not burnt out

Probably not the time of year or the type of game (sudden death) to be looking to keep your main players well rested for games ahead, when they are needed on the field to secure a win. Particularly when Junior had the week before off, and NBrown was under performing

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
Sorry if this has been discussed, I haven't had time to read the whole thread.

Did anyone think anything of Newcastle's high amount of HIA's yesterday and subsequent free interchanges? Some were definitely legit but others just seemed well timed. I also thought they did some time wasting in pretty key moments (frizzells 2nd substitution behind the deadball line comes to mind).

anyone else think this?
Don't you only get a free interchange if the HIA is a result of foul play?

oneguy

Juniors

Did anyone think anything of Newcastle's high amount of HIA's yesterday and subsequent free interchanges? Some were definitely legit but others just seemed well timed. I also thought they did some time wasting in pretty key moments (frizzells 2nd substitution behind the deadball line comes to mind).

anyone else think this?
Definitely seemed like it was a tactic to slow down the play, especially in the heat. Yes some legit ones, including the one that ruled Jones out of the game, but yes I noticed that too. So many stoppages.

yy_cheng

Coach
what about that crap about replacing Frizell... It was a drop out to us and they took forever to replace him

Happy MEel

First Grade
Russell is taller than Cotric, but lighter at only 90kgs. I think he will be plenty big enough once he turns into a man. He already looked heaps bigger than I remembered when he played against the Panthers. Haze is also taller but lighter than Cotric.
I’m more concerned with rucking it out early in the set. You need size/power for that. Dunster has done ok in that department but it’s not his strongest asset. We’re talking next year and so I don’t think Russell will be able to put on enough beef, especially with another small frame in Gutho at the back.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Interesting. Cause I am thinking a big off season and he will be a good winger. Just needs a little more power. He isn't scared of the collision which is good.
I also find the decline in Bradman Bests strength alarming. He was almost unstoppable as an 18yld. I thought he would of gotten stronger not weaker. Very strange.

He is with the big boys now very hard to dominate when you arent bigger then the kids your age

King-Gutho94

Coach
In terms of the knights next year unless ponga has a tommy turbo type season and drags newcastle to a few extra wins. I cant see too much improvement from them elsewhere to fear them overtaking us next year.

Mitchell pearce is past it and has proven he cant dominate big games. Frizzell is getting older. Gagai isnt a game breaker. Klemmer isnt the same player he was 3 years ago. Connor watson is leaving.

Outside of the saifiti twins there isnt much else there to me that will see newcastle improve on what they currently have

anyone else think this?
It was pretty clear time wasting. Keep the player on not taking him off straight away. Then taking him off when we were on the attack, so ref has to stop play. It’s tactical and it’s meant to give them a breather and stop the opposition momentum. The frizell time wasting in the second half behind the dead ball was another killer. That took nearly 3 mins, enough to give Newcastle a great old rest. That’s the refs fault. Not restarting the game and moving one or giving us a penalty. Klein is just a f**ked up ref

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
bring it ON
X8TcJ-.gif

84 Baby

Referee
I’m more concerned with rucking it out early in the set. You need size/power for that. Dunster has done ok in that department but it’s not his strongest asset. We’re talking next year and so I don’t think Russell will be able to put on enough beef, especially with another small frame in Gutho at the back.
Starting wingers next year barring another signing will be Dunster and Sivo. Dunster into Fergo’s spot and Russell into Dunster’s. Sivo might anger people but at his best, he’s very good winger. The task with him is to get him to do it every week.

But one thing that’s been really pleasing me of late is Waqa’s willingness to get back early and take hit ups. If he continues that, carrying lightweight wingers can work

Latest posts