What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Week 1 Finals v NZW

soc123_au

Staff member
I think the issue is the earlier start moreso then having the early game.

in the Days of 4 v 5. Etc the minor premiers got the day games.

How the games drag on now, it makes sense to have a 4pm kick off
TV money dictates the time slots, it was always going to be 4.00pm Sat for someone. We got it because it suits the NZ audience better. Which is fine by me, they deserve it. Netball finals be damned.

snickers007

Juniors
Because everything is derailed I'll restate. The kick off time is due to the time difference to nz. Whoever played them would've had that time.

What's interesting about this is that the Warriors have at least one home game remaining.
If they lose to us, they'll surely play next Saturday night at home. 5:30 NZST, 7:30 AEST
Similarly if they win this week, they'll have the Saturday slot in week 3.

If they lose this week, and win week 2, I wonder if the NRL will bring the Saturday game forward a bit to appease the New Zealand TV audience? Maybe a 6:45 AEST / 8:45 NZST kickoff?

Slightly related, can we please get back to the Minor Premiers (or the highest ranked team) having the first opportunity into the Grand Final? For the last 3 years that we've been in the GF, the minor premiers have played in the Saturday prelim final.

For all the talk about incentives and rewards for winning the minor premiership, this has got to be in the conversation. It's a 24 hour difference, which is an extra training session, extra physio sessions, the opportunity for the team to watch their potential opponents as a group the following day etc.

MugaB

Coach
TV money dictates the time slots, it was always going to be 4.00pm Sat for someone. We got it because it suits the NZ audience better. Which is fine by me, they deserve it. Netball finals be damned.
Day games are better than night ones anyway, gotta remember penrith park is better played in the day, than the cold slippery night, suncorp can do the night games fk em

soc123_au

Staff member
Slightly related, can we please get back to the Minor Premiers (or the highest ranked team) having the first opportunity into the Grand Final? For the last 3 years that we've been in the GF, the minor premiers have played in the Saturday prelim final.

For all the talk about incentives and rewards for winning the minor premiership, this has got to be in the conversation. It's a 24 hour difference, which is an extra training session, extra physio sessions, the opportunity for the team to watch their potential opponents as a group the following day etc.
In 2021 I thought it was fair enough, we gave up our advantage by bottling it week 1. The other years I agree and thought we were a bit robbed. It's a small thing, but at this level you want every little advantage you have earned.

WestyLife

First Grade
What's interesting about this is that the Warriors have at least one home game remaining.
If they lose to us, they'll surely play next Saturday night at home. 5:30 NZST, 7:30 AEST

If they lose this week, and win week 2, I wonder if the NRL will bring the Saturday game forward a bit to appease the New Zealand TV audience? Maybe a 6:45 AEST / 8:45 NZST kickoff?

Like Soc said everything is dictated by TV money first. What's fair only happens if the money consideration is sorted

snickers007

Juniors
In 2021 I thought it was fair enough, we gave up our advantage by bottling it week 1. The other years I agree and thought we were a bit robbed. It's a small thing, but at this level you want every little advantage you have earned.

In 2021, Melbourne were the Minor Premiers. And they played us on the Saturday game.

Iamback

Coach

I think it was 5.15 last year the early game.

Games are going 2 hours now without allowing for extra time. So having longer works.

Maybe we send Netball bibs to ch9 in protest?

Blues Riff

Bench
Yeah that was really irritating. Parra first into the GF, us waiting to see if we even made it.

Iamback

Coach

We played the Prelim in 2021 on a Sunday arvo to allow for TV, No reason Warriors won't get that here.

Isn't it the side that chooses?
Pretty sure MP can choose anything the whole way. Even who gets what captain's run timeslot