What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We'll Miss Matty Elliott...

Raiders Rock

Juniors
I don't think anybody realises just what a great coach Matty Elliott is. This year in particular he's consistently managed to get the best out of his troops. With the exception of a couple of games this year (Rortsters - Knights) every player has given 100% every week and that about all you can ever ask of a coach.

I hope to hell that Neil Henry is able to get similar results when he starts here, and I just can't believe the crap that Elliott has got from certain so-called fans over the time he's been there.

He's molded this team of "Self-Proclaimed-Nobody's" into a very competative outfit and now we sit poised on cementing out spot in the final 8. It's all up to the players now, Matty Elliott has done his job again.

I say thankyou Matty for your service over the years, we'll miss you more that you know and you owe us absolutely nothing!! Penrith will be all the better for your arrival. Good luck and well done.

Now, get back to work and win us a premiership!!

:D :D :D

Tokyo_Raider

Juniors
I've said it from day one - he's a lot better than just about anyone on this page gives him credit for.

It would be nice to hear some congratulations instead of the inevitable Oh-he-should-have-picked-Carneyalethurlingmillerzillman-and-he-only-plays-one-off-the-ruck-oh-my-record-is-stuck-on-this-track-again thread.

dubby

Bench
Tokyo_Raider said:
I've said it from day one - he's a lot better than just about anyone on this page gives him credit for.

It would be nice to hear some congratulations instead of the inevitable Oh-he-should-have-picked-Carneyalethurlingmillerzillman-and-he-only-plays-one-off-the-ruck-oh-my-record-is-stuck-on-this-track-again thread.

:lol: :lol:

I have been a long time Elliot supporter too, although his selections at times have been baffling *Gafa*.

I would like to extend my congratulations to MR Elliot as well, and i hope Mr Henry can achieve more than Matt did in terms of consistant finals appearances and winning a game in the semis and against the storm.

I hope this thread doesn't go down the inevitable road of bitching again. :(

thickos

First Grade
He's done some good things, he's done some dud things.

I thought in 2002-03 we were building to something extremely special and I thought Elliott was a genius. The side that finished 11th/14 in 2001 made the finals in 02 and, well, we all know how much fun 2003 was.

Elliott picked the perfect game plan that season and he had the troops to pull it off. It was fantastic, but I think even he would admit 04-05 was a disaster. Rather than keep using the 'boring' style, which was working unbelievably well, we tried to live beyond our means and 2004's pathetic year was the result. 05, well that was injury driven. 06 didn't start well but Elliott has definitely been part of the turnaround.

He's been a marvel for the forwards - Tongue and Thommo have really developed into great footballers. There is a great ethic and spirit at the club. I can only fault him on team selection at times - but he does see the players more than I do. Player retention has also been a drama.

I am not gutted to see him going, as I think sometimes a new face is needed to take the club to the next level. But he's laid a good foundation. It's tested my patience at times though!

langpark

First Grade
Matt Elliott is very resourceful and is able to bring out the best in his players, as we've seen in recent seasons when canberra have had injury crisises

hrundi99

First Grade
The only real knock I have against him is the series of player selection fiascos.

Apart from that I think he's been solid.

Mainstream

Juniors
He's really been a mixed bag hasn't he.

I think he's excellent at creating strong team bonds and making the players work for each other. And I think his 'basic' brand of football is often very effective.

However, he doesn't have a clue how to coach the halves (or any of the backs for that matter) and his team selections leave a lot to be desired. This is the case mostly in the backs, his front row selection is usually pretty spot on.

And the boring (but effective) style of football has not been good for the Club IMO. It can get frustrating to watch your side run up the middle play after play. Makes it difficult to attract new fans to the club. I agree with Daley's comments on the weekend that the Raiders need to recognise that they have some decent centres and wingers and be willing to spread the ball to them a bit more.

Overall Elliott's safety first football has got us some decent results. But I don't think it's a style of football that can win a premiership in the NRL. You need at least a little bit of flair to get there. So I'm not sorry to see him go. He's a nice guy and he will be missed, but I feel confident that Neil Henry can add that flair we so desperately need to ge to the next level and I'm excited for next season on that basis.

Paullyboy

Coach
I agree with most of the sentiments in this thread - at first I thought he was a genious with the short kickoffs and what not, but that novelty wore off and his bag of tricks appeared to be a little less exciting than I was hoping for.

And also as everyone else has said, some of his selections have been extremely frustrating - but after looking at the other pages on this forum I think pretty much every team says that about their coach so its not something which is unique to him.

aussies1st

Staff member
Hes done well with the resources we've had. Got rid of the mess Mal made. Only problem was he couldn't drop players that needed dropping. And no second game plan which cost us going any further during 03.

Bay56

First Grade
I think I'll keep my comments for the "Cant wait to see the back of Elliott" thread :lol:

Chachi

Bench
Yeah, he's not nearly as bad as many here make him out to be, but not nearly as good as the Sydney media seems to think he is. Fair dinkum it makes me sick the way they crap on about how our team is a bunch of nobodies and the only reason we can win a game is because of J. Smith and Elliott.

Having said that, we have certainly brought through a great bunch of juniors in his time here - that is something I'm sure he's had a big hand in. The morale and work ethic at the club also seems to be top rate (it's pretty rare for our captain to call our halfback/hooker a "stupid fu@king f@ck" during games...unlike some other teams **cough**roosters**cough**).

Like others have said here, his big downside is some gawd awful selections and having no confidence (or ability) to exploit the creative style of our young backs.

At the end of the day, while we've lost some "big names" over the years, IMO he's left the club in a better position than he found it and I'm grateful for that. With a touch of luck I'm just hoping Henry can reap the benefits over the next 5-10 years.

Edwahu

Bench
Well he did coach terribly in the past and nothing can change my mind about that but as I said on the other forum he deserves credit for the last few months coaching and hopefully for the next few months as well.

Edwahu

Bench
Tokyo_Raider said:

Well thats a big part of whats changed hasnt it. Carney is in and we are not playing so one dimensionally largely as a result. Looks like we may have had a clue after all.

Mainstream

Juniors
Chachi said:
Yeah, he's not nearly as bad as many here make him out to be, but not nearly as good as the Sydney media seems to think he is. Fair dinkum it makes me sick the way they crap on about how our team is a bunch of nobodies and the only reason we can win a game is because of J. Smith and Elliott.

I couldn't agree more. If I hear the expression "well coached team" in reference to the Raiders one more time I think my head will explode. :crazy:I abuse the television everytime I hear it as it is.

I'm fed up with the Sydney media putting our players down. There's some serious talent their now, even if there may not have been a couple of years back.

And as for J Smith getting all the accolades every time we win a match, 3 out 4 wins without him tells a different story.

But yes good on Elliott for his selection of some fantastic young talent. The signing of TLL until the end of 2009 in particular was inspired.

edabomb

First Grade
Edwahu said:
Well thats a big part of whats changed hasnt it. Carney is in and we are not playing so one dimensionally largely as a result. Looks like we may have had a clue after all.

Carney was in for the final 6 or 7 games last season, and we lost all of them....

BTW, it's 'hear, hear'. Not 'here, here'. You aren't trying to attract some 13yr old FFB member in your direction 69, you're agreeing with the spoken statement.

Bay56

First Grade
Marc Herbert [CNTDN] said:
BTW, it's 'hear, hear'. Not 'here, here'. You aren't trying to attract some 13yr old FFB member in your direction 69, you're agreeing with the spoken statement.

you're a nasty piece of fish eddy

btw I like the way you used "your" and "you're" correctly ... gets a lot of people that one

Latest posts