What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Well Played Ruds

antonius

Coach
Nice to see the crowd give him a Rousing cheer for his last home game. He's copped plenty has Rudder, but despite an early error today, put it behind him scored a try and went out on a winning note. Thanks for the efforts Ruds, you were no small part in us winning our second Grand Final. All the best in the future, and good luck in the semis.

the_knights_rule

First Grade
ill second that, good on you ruds! best of luck for your future but first you have to concentrate on kicking those roosters' asses :D

Kaz

junior
antonius said:
Nice to see the crowd give him a Rousing cheer for his last home game. He's copped plenty has Rudder.

Not wanting to take anything away from him, but the crowd were probably cheering that they won't see him play at EAS ever again. :twisted: ;-)

Leasha

Juniors
I never thought I'd be saying (or typing!) these words, but good work Rudder! Im usually not a fan, but today, aside from a few glaring errors in the first half of the game, you played fairly well! Good luck in the finals series, and in England next year!

Anonymous

Juniors
The effort off the ball was there today, i hope he keeps it up in England, you never know he may be a late bloomer and he could come back one day.

I would have paid 500 to see him have a shot at goal, damn it. The last home game of the year is no place for a contest.

best wishes Sean. :D

knightsgal85

Juniors
Sean played exceptionally well today, so I must congratulate him on his efforts. It was great to see him farewelled on our homeground as a victor & score a critical try which ultimately contributed to our success against the Cowboys. I hope he does us proud next week in our qualifying final against the Roosters, as does every individual on our team. All the best in England next year Sean.

Terminator

First Grade
Thanks for getting that try Sean when we needed it.
Thanks for all the years of service, and Good luck with the
Castleford Tigers!
:D

Big Tim

First Grade
Congrats on a great career with Newcastle Sean.

We are gonna miss this guy next year, this year he has played in so many different positions, and as we know utility players are always very handy to have let alone a young guy who has played over 100 1st grade games.

Good luck in England Sean and we hope to see you back in the NRL hopefully wearing the Red and Blue.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Thanks for actually putting in this week sean. Hopefully it's not a one off and that you do the same next week, as we need you to back up the half again next week v's the roosters.

Isn't it strange that after a week of good press the guy finally gets some props from people? His game yesterday was nothing more or less than his average all year yet it's all of a sudden praise worthy? Was it just cause it was his last game here?

6 or 7 out of 10 from me. Just the one mistake from an ordinary dummy half pass which was catchable, but his outside backs didn't help him at all. He continually got them the ball in good position but they couldn't reward him. It was good to see him just put his head down and go for the line himself.

Anyway, good luck to he and Jobson next year. All the best to them both.

tigermite

Juniors
I found it interesting when I read in Saturday's Newcastle Herald that Rudder is the youngest Knights player ever to reach the 100 game milestone, and that he is 13th on the list of most games played for the knights... and he is still only 24.

Not bad for a guy that a lot of people say isn't very good and shouldn't be in the team. I reckon that those stats tell us something that most people in here don't want to acknowledge... and that is that he is actually a decent player.

Oh and the other thing, that he has been playing injured for the last year, but is only one of two Knights players who hasnt missed a game this year. He should really be commended for his attitude and commitment to your team, and anything less is unfair on him.

Big Tim

First Grade
I always thought Rudder was a great player. I am just of the opinion that in a fully fit squad he is not our best 5/8 and he has also been put behind other forwards cos of him playing 5/8.

I think if Rudder had have played in the second row all his career with us he would be a walk up starter every week. Its a shame that he has had to play out of position for so long that now his spot has been taken and I think that is why he wanted to go to England.

Thanx Sean for thinking of the team first, and never complaining about where you had to play. You will be missed next year.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Danish Moo Cow said:
Isn't it strange that after a week of good press the guy finally gets some props from people? His game yesterday was nothing more or less than his average all year yet it's all of a sudden praise worthy? Was it just cause it was his last game here?

6 or 7 out of 10 from me. Just the one mistake from an ordinary dummy half pass which was catchable, but his outside backs didn't help him at all. He continually got them the ball in good position but they couldn't reward him. It was good to see him just put his head down and go for the line himself.

Anyway, good luck to he and Jobson next year. All the best to them both.

I thought he played better yesterday. He chased a hell of a lot more kicks. Plus he was much more involved. He didn't give great survice to his outside men. By that I mean he didn't get them much space and oppertunity. But he did get passes out to them, so it was an improved performance.

Matt23

Staff member
Good luck to both Sean Rudder and Matt Jobson, who knows in a couple of years who's to say we wont see them in the red and blue again.

Doctor

Bench
Danish Moo Cow said:
His game yesterday was nothing more or less than his average all year yet it's all of a sudden praise worthy? Was it just cause it was his last game here?

I agree, but I suppose he rarely gets credit so I won't try and take shine off the praise he is being given.
He didn't make overtly terrible mistakes on Sunday, but he certainly wasn't a standout. But that is what Rudder has been over the years - a guy that tries his best each week and when he manages to put in a relatively mistake-free game we can give him credit.

I reckon that those stats tell us something that most people in here don't want to acknowledge... and that is that he is actually a decent player.

120 odd games, but I think this is because he has remained injury free. He isn't a target of opposition players, and therefore is less likely to suffer an injury. To his credit he tries his guts out each week, and although I have never agreed with the idea of Rudder as a permanent 5/8, he has filled many roles quite capably over the years.

I won't remember Rudder as a "great" - no amount of last-game heroics would have changed my perception of him. But for all the criticism of Rudder over the years, flowing from my keyboard, I still can't fault his humilty and gutsiness. I have never had anything personally against him, I just didn't agree with the notion that he was the best 5/8 we had in the club. I still think England will benefit from his 'talents' though - he is experienced, can be relied upon to remain injury-free, and brings with him the badge that says "I've played next to Andrew Johns, the world's best player, for several seasons" - that is something that he can wear with pride.

I say all the best to him - the Knights have benefited from his ability to play every week, and the English club will do likewise.

Jesus, Chook. That's some wrap for a guy in his "thank you" thread. How about some perspective. Rudder took over from Matthew Johns, the best 5/8 we've ever had. He then outperformed (even after his injury) Matt Gidley for it and won a competition there the first year he had to "fill in". He outlasted the next player John Morris for a contract in the same year they had negotiations the very next year.

He then fills in for Kennedy and the like for a few weeks this year and is all of a sudden the number 2 5/8 in the club? Nope, he wins his spot back and once again the Knights go on to win 5 of their last 6 after a disasterous run in the middle of the year. All this with a 12 month old knee injury requiring rehab week in-week out.

Only an offer from Castlford would appease the Rudder bashers. Kurt Gidley then became the number one contender for the 5/8 spot... for two days, then we sign Witt from Parramatta. A 24 year old who couldn't prove himself worthy of a first grade shot at a team outside the top 8 with the revolving door retention policy that Brian Smith just loves. Yet, they're both even money bets for the number 6 jersey next year.

astrogirl

First Grade
Danish Moo Cow said:
He then fills in for Kennedy and the like for a few weeks this year and is all of a sudden the number 2 5/8 in the club? Nope, he wins his spot back and once again the Knights go on to win 5 of their last 6 after a disasterous run in the middle of the year. All this with a 12 month old knee injury requiring rehab week in-week out.

"he wins his spot back and once again the Knights go on to win 5 of their last 6 after a disasterous run in the middle of the year"

IMO the number of wins we've had with Rudder at 5/8 is starting to prove a little difficult to ignore. Sure Rudder is not our most skillful and classy player and there are other variables, but perhaps there is something about the way Rudder plays that the players outside of him identify with well.

And don't forget the 2001 Grand Final and equal first 2002 seasons. We never even came equal first with the Johns/Johns combination.

Encurly

Juniors
Danish Moo Cow said:
And don't forget the 2001 Grand Final and equal first 2002 seasons. We never even came equal first with the Johns/Johns combination.

Yes we did. In 1998, equal first with Brisbane on 37 points.