What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wellington launch NRL bid!!

shiznit

Coach
Perth and Wellington are far more valuable to the NRL's broadcasting rights than another QLD team...

I'm not saying another QLD team isn't valuable... But a 2nd NZ team opens up that early broadcast time weeks when at the moment it's only once a fortnight.

Also... The 2nd NZ team is almost a direct increase to its broadcasting deal through SKYTV in NZ... So it almost pays for itself straight away...

Then you factor in the junior playing numbers.... Wellington more than matches everyone else...

BuffaloRules

Coach
Perth and Wellington are far more valuable to the NRL's broadcasting rights than another QLD team...

I'm not saying another QLD team isn't valuable... But a 2nd NZ team opens up that early broadcast time weeks when at the moment it's only once a fortnight.

Also... The 2nd NZ team is almost a direct increase to its broadcasting deal through SKYTV in NZ... So it almost pays for itself straight away...

Im pretty sure Gyngel says otherwise....

He wants to show RL every Friday in Brisbane with a local team playing...

Perth Red

Post Whore
A lot of hope for this bid will rest on the potential value to Increase the sky nz deal (or interest a fta provider). If sky see little value add to their current deal then the $'s won't be there and the NRL won't be interested. I get the feeling based on recent times that the NRL has no altruism to help the game grow in NZ. I doubt it adds as much value to the australian media deal as two new australian clubs in perth and brisbane.

BuffaloRules

Coach
No..NZ2 dont add as much to the Aust media rights, although NZ2 opens up more slots for games to be played in early afternoon spots so there is some value...

The issue as I said earlier will be whether the NRL and clubs want another club that is going to be on the teat for a decade or so best case scenario, or whether they want a club that will be pretty much self sufficient from the start...

Last edited:

RedVee

First Grade

Then you factor in the junior playing numbers.... Wellington more than matches everyone else...

So, there is a large interest in RL at junior level in Wellington and environs?

I've in favour of NZ 2. Gives a derby game and can be organised so that a game is played in NZ almost every week, which is a help for TV. As well as the player production reasons etc.

insert.pause

First Grade
The vast majority of the broadcast money comes from Australia, Ipswich would offer far greater value to broadcasters than Wellington would. On every measure Ipswich/Corridor bid is superior to Wellington.

BuffaloRules

Coach
The vast majority of the broadcast money comes from Australia, Ipswich would offer far greater value to broadcasters than Wellington would.

Another team in the Brisbane area is a given IMO because Channel 9 are basically demanding it...

The only thing thing that worries me about Ipswich though... Are their fans going to commute to Suncorp?

insert.pause

First Grade
Another team in the Brisbane area is a given IMO because Channel 9 are basically demanding it...

The only thing thing that worries me about Ipswich though... Are their fans going to commute to Suncorp?

A lot already do for Broncos games and they don't have to live there to support them, the corridor area is massive.

Last edited:

pHyR3

Juniors
Ipswich over NZ 2 for sure.

Wellington's biggest issue would be drawing a consistent 15k+ average, even union teams struggle to do that. Warriors work because they can take a few games to other areas in NZ and Auckland has a million people.

Diesel

Referee
I think the NRL will offer 3, may be 4 locations they want to expand to. Whoever misses out I think there will be there a semi-forced relocation of an existing team. The 3 main locations talked about for expansion need to happen

Does the Wellington bid have the inside word that they are expanding or have they just made it public that if the NRL expands there is a bid from NZ?

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore

No guarantee ch9 will have the rights in 2018

insert.pause

First Grade
I think the NRL will offer 3, may be 4 locations they want to expand to. Whoever misses out I think there will be there a semi-forced relocation of an existing team. The 3 main locations talked about for expansion need to happen

Does the Wellington bid have the inside word that they are expanding or have they just made it public that if the NRL expands there is a bid from NZ?

I think they are just trying to capitalise on the 4nations win.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Perth has a 7 figure sponsor lined up, 20k crowds,decent stadium with corporate facilities and in a booming population and economy city. Why people think we will be a financial drain I don't know?

This wellington bid is just casting lines by the sound of it in case NRL decide to expand, it is a worry that they obviously haven't even got as far as starting talks with potential bid areas yet about the process, oh well I guess I shouldn't be surprised after 8 years of false hope!

shiznit

Coach
The thing is... The Warriors alone are worth around 20M a season to the NRL's broadcasting deal...

That's 100M over 5 years... That's direct value...

If you we're to divide the NRL's 1.025B deal in Australia with the 15 Australian clubs you end up with about 13M each per year which is roughly about 6-7M less than the Warriors.... And that's pretty crude considering the Warriors actually do pretty well for Fox TV in Australia... So you could arguably even increase the difference even more...

Now please correct me if I'm wrong... But in order to match the 20M per year the Warriors deal brings to the table the extra QLD team would need to increase the NRL's total broadcasting deal from 1.025B to 1.5B... Which wouldn't be the case.

As far as direct money from broadcasting goes... You can't get better than another NZ team... And that's even before you consider the weekly extra time slot it creates... Which is GOLD to fox.

applesauce

Bench
The thing is... The Warriors alone are worth around 20M a season to the NRL's broadcasting deal...

That's 100M over 5 years... That's direct value...

If you we're to divide the NRL's 1.025B deal in Australia with the 15 Australian clubs you end up with about 13M each per year which is roughly about 6-7M less than the Warriors.... And that's pretty crude considering the Warriors actually do pretty well for Fox TV in Australia... So you could arguably even increase the difference even more...

Now please correct me if I'm wrong... But in order to match the 20M per year the Warriors deal brings to the table the extra QLD team would need to increase the NRL's total broadcasting deal from 1.025B to 1.5B... Which wouldn't be the case.

As far as direct money from broadcasting goes... You can't get better than another NZ team... And that's even before you consider the weekly extra time slot it creates... Which is GOLD to fox.

The Warriors are an established brand have been around for 20yrs. The next NZ team will not double the NZ TV deal.

Hope NZ2 gets in too, but in the next round (and are informed they already are accepted next year so the bid doesn't crumble).

BuffaloRules

Coach
So Sky pay $20Mil a year to show the Warriors game?

Better let the NRL know then - they are throwing in the other 7 games a week for free...

Starkers

Bench
a second NZ team is an absolute must. even a third in the future based in Christchurch shouldn't be ruled out. it will also serve to strengthen the national side, which will in turn add value to the rep game rights.