What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wellington launch NRL bid!!

BuffaloRules

Coach
Perth has a 7 figure sponsor lined up, 20k crowds,decent stadium with corporate facilities and in a booming population and economy city. Why people think we will be a financial drain I don't know?

This wellington bid is just casting lines by the sound of it in case NRL decide to expand, it is a worry that they obviously haven't even got as far as starting talks with potential bid areas yet about the process, oh well I guess I shouldn't be surprised after 8 years of false hope!

So Perth won't need any more money then from the NRL - only the Salary cap they pay every club.

Nothing more for marketing, coaching and administration, and junior development... Good to know...

shiznit

Coach
So Sky pay $20Mil a year to show the Warriors game?

Better let the NRL know then - they are throwing in the other 7 games a week for free...
:lol:

What... Do you think anyone in NZ would be interested in the NRL without the Warriors?? :lol:

Please... You'd be battling with the A-League & NBL if you didn't have the Warriors... :lol:

And this is coming from a NZ based Parra fan who supported Parra well before the Warriors came in...

BuffaloRules

Coach
:lol:

What... Do you think anyone in NZ would be interested in the NRL without the Warriors?? :lol:

Please... You'd be battling with the A-League & NBL if you didn't have the Warriors... :lol:

And this is coming from a NZ based Parra fan who supported Parra well before the Warriors came in...

So you are arguing that Sky pays $20 Million a year to show Warriors games, and nothing for the other 170 games?

Seriously?

Pay TV needs to pay big bucks to fill lots of hours with live sport mate...especially for exclusive rights

shiznit

Coach
The Warriors are an established brand have been around for 20yrs. The next NZ team will not double the NZ TV deal.

Hope NZ2 gets in too, but in the next round (and are informed they already are accepted next year so the bid doesn't crumble).
Who said anything about doubling the Warriors deal??

If the NZ2 brings half the value that the Warriors bring in that's still 2 or so million more value than each of the individual aussie clubs bring in...

And I also need to say the last NZ deal was done with SKY playing hardball... Since then the Auckland 9's has come through... Which is MASSIVE to SKYTV as they are the host broadcaster and then you have double the NZ home games as well as the NZ derby games on top...

While you can't guarantee that they will automatically double the current deal... You would have to be really disappointed if they couldn't at least push up towards that 35M mark.

Last edited:

shiznit

Coach
So you are arguing that Sky pays $20 Million a year to show Warriors games, and nothing for the other 170 games?

Seriously?

Pay TV needs to pay big bucks to fill lots of hours with live sport mate...especially for exclusive rights
No... What I'm saying is that the 20M SKYTV pay for the Warriors would be very lucky to be 1M if they didn't have the Warriors.

The NRL would still sell the content to SKY... It just wouldn't be worth much...

BuffaloRules

Coach
No... What I'm saying is that the 20M SKYTV pay for the Warriors would be very lucky to be 1M if they didn't have the Warriors.

The NRL would still sell the content to SKY... It just wouldn't be worth much...

I think you vastly underestimate the appeal of NRL in NZ outside of the Warriors...

The NRL could sell the TV rights for the 3 Origin games for a million each game to NZ...

shiznit

Coach
I think you vastly underestimate the appeal of NRL in NZ outside of the Warriors...

The NRL could sell the TV rights for the 3 Origin games for a million each game to NZ...
I think you overestimate the value...

Dude... I actually live in NZ... And support a club outside of the Warriors.

The Warriors are the only club shown on FTA... And they are usually shown around midnight.

The finals aren't even shown on FTA in NZ.... In fact, the Grand Final wasn't even shown on FTA here.

BuffaloRules

Coach
I think you overestimate the value...

Dude... I actually live in NZ... And support a club outside of the Warriors.

The Warriors are the only club shown on FTA... And they are usually shown around midnight.

The finals aren't even shown on FTA in NZ.... In fact, the Grand Final wasn't even shown on FTA here.

It's not shown on FTA because Sky have paid for exclusive rights...

None of us know though how they value the games... We don't even know for sure that they are paying $20 mill per year do we? I remember at the time the NZ negotiations were a tad hushed up...

Look, I don't doubt that a 2nd NZ team would add to the Sky rights- heck it will add to the Aust rights as I have already mentioned...

It's not a matter of how this figure compares to the average NRL club though - it will be how it compares to a 2nd Brisbane team and Perth...

I'm sure that the NRL will be actually asking the TV stations for some feedback on this point before they make a decision... It's the biggest revenue earner for the game, so I imagine it will carry some weight..

shiznit

Coach
It's not shown on FTA because Sky have paid for exclusive rights...

None of us know though how they value the games... We don't even know for sure that they are paying $20 mill per year do we? I remember at the time the NZ negotiations were a tad hushed up...

Look, I don't doubt that a 2nd NZ team would add to the Sky rights- heck it will add to the Aust rights as I have already mentioned...

It's not a matter of how this figure compares to the average NRL club though - it will be how it compares to a 2nd Brisbane team and Perth...

I'm sure that the NRL will be actually asking the TV stations for some feedback on this point before they make a decision... It's the biggest revenue earner for the game, so I imagine it will carry some weight..
The only reason why there's an 'exclusive' sky deal is because no FTA channel was interested in anything other than the Warriors.

The value of a NZ deal is based squarely on the value to NZ audiences... When they signed the last deal... SKY dragged their feet at the 20M wanted by the NRL as there wasn't much NZ content.

Since then the Auckland 9's has come through... And you could be potentially talking about a whole new club.

Broadcast wise... What does another QLD team actually do??? It creates new derbys... Which is great... But it doesn't open up a new slot... They will just shuffle them around the existing time slots.

NZ2 and Perth create actual new time slots... That's more advertisements straight away... In the case of NZ2 it creates a derby also...

Playing numbers... Can you even compare it??

The only real issue I have with NZ2 is support from locals... If they decide to play games across the North Island it's hard to build a supporter base.

mikeob

Juniors
My concern is the crowds. After the honeymoon is over and if the team is only going average then I reckon they'll struggle to average 10,000 in what is a union stronghold. Then there is the weather. It's not nicknamed Windy Wellington without good reason.

shiznit

Coach
My concern is the crowds. After the honeymoon is over and if the team is only going average then I reckon they'll struggle to average 10,000 in what is a union stronghold. Then there is the weather. It's not nicknamed Windy Wellington without good reason.
Yup... That's what my biggest issue would be...

They need to build themselves a serious following... Because wellingtonians are pretty fickle...

Perth Red

Post Whore

Do you have viewing figures for the non warriors games v warriors games? Unless warriors are pulling massive audiences in comparison then your claim doesn't stack up. Of course what you can't quantify is the interest in NRL generally due to the warriors being in the comp and the halo effect this has on other games. I doubt a second nz team will add that much to the sky deal tbh, but that shouldn't be the reason not to admit them.

TheRam

Coach
NZ2 need to get a 30,000 seat stadium with a roof in a great public transport location. Then it will definitely be a winner. Otherwise hit and miss os I would go with Perth & SEQ2.

Wellsy4HullFC

Juniors
Just bite the bullet and go for a 20 team league. The NRL are looking more and more towards Europe for players now so I'm sure they could pad out the clubs well.

Shorten the season down to 20 games. Leaves 4 weeks for a mid-season rep calendar. Even if it just involved Pacific Island nations, you could get some great crowds for a full blown island tournament involving NZ and Australia as well.

Te Kaha

First Grade
Do you have viewing figures for the non warriors games v warriors games? Unless warriors are pulling massive audiences in comparison then your claim doesn't stack up. Of course what you can't quantify is the interest in NRL generally due to the warriors being in the comp and the halo effect this has on other games. I doubt a second nz team will add that much to the sky deal tbh, but that shouldn't be the reason not to admit them.

If you go to Throng.co.nz You can get them easily enough

Warriors games range from 70-250K non Warriors games get 25-40K. Doesn't matter on the time slot.

Joe Strummer

Juniors
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/63446715/Bid-for-Wellington-NRL-team-officially-launched

This would be massive for the RL in New Zealand. With 20% of it's players already Kiwis, the NRL needs to approve this bid as quickly as possible, giving the Orcas time to get everything in place to be competitive.

Couple of negatives comments so fat. One from Watson at the Warriors, saying that they need to win an NRL first.
This is rubbish....he's simply afraid of losing his non-Auckland supporters......who the Warriors (until 2 years ago) pretty much ignored anyway.

The other is from a Wellington councillor John Morrison who say's he's not convinced it can work.

This guy is the idiot who decided giving St Kilda million of tax payers money to play at the cake tin made sound financial sense.....14k turned up last year, including less than 1,000 tourists. He promised 10,000 Aussies.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
As a Kiwi and Warriors fan, I can see both sides.

As a Kiwis supporter, it can only be good getting more local talent exposed to the NRL.

As a Warriors supporter, it would probably mean the juniors team will get weakened somewhat, and our dominance in the U20s may vanish. (it may not, but the talent will be spread between us)

Overall, It'd be good for the game, as long as they can keep the crowds up I'm all for it. I'm not so sure if Welly is the place, they are struggling to get crowds for other sports. Maybe the South Island should get the team instead? Just an idea.