What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wellington launch NRL bid!!

Joe Strummer

Juniors
I think you vastly underestimate the appeal of NRL in NZ outside of the Warriors...

The NRL could sell the TV rights for the 3 Origin games for a million each game to NZ...
2014 SOO viewing figures from www.throng.co.nz

28th May 90,000
18th June 100,000
9th July 60,000

Sometimes Aussies do believe their own media hype a tad too much.

258,000 watched the 4 Nations final....514,000 watched the Warriors in the 2011 NRL final (184,000 watched this years).

There is interest in RL here.......but predominantly KIWI RL.

I see councillor John Morrison, the bloke that paid the AFL to bring games to Wellington that nobody wanted thinks that "it will fail".

Friends like that we don't need.

The trick with the Bid is getting the maths right. Pricing needs to be keen, marketing needs to be constant and connection with the areas where most of the support will come from is vital.
Porirua is 40 minutes away by train, 25 by car. A family of 4 travelling by train to a Phoenix game are looking at $36 in rail travel and $49 for the family ticket to the game. Beers are $7.50 each, Soft drinks $5.00 and Burgers/Dogs are about $5.00
4 Beers, 4 Cokes and 4 Burgers/Dogs and the day out is $155.00.

This may not sound like a lot, but to a family from Cannons Creek or Porirua, this is a fair wedge to be paying out.....so maybe the new club need to work with the Train company and sort out a deal there.

The new club need to raise about 8 million a year to be self sustaining.....I reckon that translates to about a 16,000 average across the 12 "home" games......not easy, but it can be done.

papabear

Juniors
Just bite the bullet and go for a 20 team league. The NRL are looking more and more towards Europe for players now so I'm sure they could pad out the clubs well.

Shorten the season down to 20 games. Leaves 4 weeks for a mid-season rep calendar. Even if it just involved Pacific Island nations, you could get some great crowds for a full blown island tournament involving NZ and Australia as well.

If you have a 20 team league wouldn't it make more sense to have a 19 round season.

johnny plath

Juniors
how about 21 teams, with 20 rounds. 10 home and away, 1 bye for every team for player welfare and community work. Then everyone can play, Perth, CC, CQ, SEQ3 and NZ 2.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
I think you overestimate the value...

Dude... I actually live in NZ... And support a club outside of the Warriors.

The Warriors are the only club shown on FTA... And they are usually shown around midnight.

The finals aren't even shown on FTA in NZ.... In fact, the Grand Final wasn't even shown on FTA here.

Just as long as they aren't drug dealers or gang members like all the other lot you have worked with in NZ League aye?

:roll:

I think NZ2 is ahead of Perth now...

Seems a very low risk proposition and should be relatively self sufficient, but they will more than pay their own way based on local TV ratings, and Player production... Two things Perth can't compete on...

How much does TV value that 9.30 East Coast time slot which is the key thing Perth has going for it?
I think NZ2 an Perth will come in at the same time.

Totally agree, and now that this line has been pulled at at the beginning of proceedings has made me immediately skeptical about the bid.

The AFL bogeyman line has been pulled by bids to paper over cracks revealing they are simply not ready for NRL level, such as CQ and CC.

Perth remains frontrunner and an absolute must.
Agree. A sport named Australian Rules football is never going to be popular in NZ.
Pure and simple the aFL are struggling money wise with their expansions clubs now let alone putting one in NZ.

shiznit

Coach
Just as long as they aren't drug dealers or gang members like all the other lot you have worked with in NZ League aye?

:roll:
Mate... It's ridiculous some of the shit that goes on with RL in NZ.

At least with these bid guys it seems it's going to be run by a consortium... Which should ensure that's it's run professionally.

I think the South Island is a great idea.

opening few rounds in ChCh, take the winter night games to Duniden and play under the roof. Back to ChCh for the closing rounds/playoffs.

The South Island v the Warriors derby would also bring out passion, if not more than a Welly/Warriors rivalry.

In terms of money making, surely the flaws cant be any worse than Wellington?

I dunno.

BuffaloRules

Coach
I think the South Island is a great idea.

opening few rounds in ChCh, take the winter night games to Duniden and play under the roof. Back to ChCh for the closing rounds/playoffs.

The South Island v the Warriors derby would also bring out passion, if not more than a Welly/Warriors rivalry.

In terms of money making, surely the flaws cant be any worse than Wellington?

I dunno.

Could the one team play games in Wellington, Dunedin, ChCh?

Understand that the South Islanders would not have any trouble uniting - could Wellington join them as well or would they be appalled by the idea?

shiznit

Coach
Could the one team play games in Wellington, Dunedin, ChCh?

Understand that the South Islanders would not have any trouble uniting - could Wellington join them as well or would they be appalled by the idea?
It could potentially work.... They could be the Southern ______'s

But the problem with that is it might make it tough for the actual team to perform... That's a lot of extra travel for a team who will already have a lot of travel on its away games.

I'm more and more skeptical about it from everything I've seen...

This is a pretty telling interview if you ask me.... http://www.radiolivesport.co.nz/Ken-Laban/tabid/454/articleID/21392/Default.aspx

Ken Laban is on the Wellington City Council and works for SKYTV as a rugby commentator... Although he calls rugby union these days... He's very much a Wellington rugby league man... I think his son was at the Warriors or the Knights... He has also been involved in a previous Wellington bid...

So If he's skeptical about it it's gotta make you wonder....

oikee

Juniors
Forget the Wellington bid. Well dont forget it entirely. If by some miracle the bid gets up, let's run with it and move the whole set-up to Auckland 2 if and when the whole thing goes pair-shaped, like the Titans.

Look, some lessons are hard learned. Gallop fishing where the fish are. ? well putting a team on the gold coasts party strip instead of planting it right into Logan central was the dumbest move the code made.
They are now slowly making their way towards Logan.

Brisbane Ipswich Brothers is a no-brainer. Having a team playing out of Suncorp each week is win/win for tv and our code.
Perth also needs a team. The time-zones and allowing the poor folk of Perth more than the punch-ball option is a major plus for the brainwashed.

shiznit

Coach
They could approach Owen Glenn to bankroll it...

The pissing contest between the owners of the NZ clubs will be epic... And the rivalry would be instant...

papabear

Juniors
Forget the Wellington bid. Well dont forget it entirely. If by some miracle the bid gets up, let's run with it and move the whole set-up to Auckland 2 if and when the whole thing goes pair-shaped, like the Titans.

Look, some lessons are hard learned. Gallop fishing where the fish are. ? well putting a team on the gold coasts party strip instead of planting it right into Logan central was the dumbest move the code made.
They are now slowly making their way towards Logan.

Brisbane Ipswich Brothers is a no-brainer. Having a team playing out of Suncorp each week is win/win for tv and our code.
Perth also needs a team. The time-zones and allowing the poor folk of Perth more than the punch-ball option is a major plus for the brainwashed.

in my opinion 4 teams in QLD is enough.

mongoose

Coach
I still think Perth and Wellington (or NZ2) are ahead of Ipswich/Brisbane 2. My problem with Brisbane 2 is that just about everybody in south east QLD that follows League already has a team, whether it's the Broncos, another NRL team or a QLD cup team. Perth and Wellington has much more of a novelty affect and will attract new fans.

I'm happy to be wrong though, Suncorp stadium is under utilised and needs a game there every weekend. I suppose the Crushers had pretty decent crowds in their first 2 seasons.

axl rose

Bench
Brisbane Ipswich Brothers is a no-brainer. Having a team playing out of Suncorp each week is win/win for tv and our code. .

Has been for 25 years mate, doesn't mean its going to happen. Never forget Rugby Leagues capacity to shoot itself in the foot.

Latest posts