What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wellington SHOULD be the next NRL team.

jamesgould

Juniors
I never take any argument seriously that is based around the people that some stranger knows (you know, so it must be true even if it can't be proven with things like facts...)

Umm ... what a wonderful comeback that is! So you choose not to believe the fact that people in Wellington support sides other that the Warriors? Because according to you, they wouldn't want to support a side that has another places name in the name.

I support Newcastle. My brother supports Canberra. My cricket captain supports Cronulla. Someone else in my cricket side supports Souths. A workmate supports Melbourne and another supports the Gold Coast. An old mate from school supports Parramatta.

If you want to show me that people in Wellington don't support sides that aren't called NZ or Wellington, then go ahead and fund the research yourself, but off the top of my head there's a bunch of people that I know which prove you're talking rubbish. I think it's more likely you don't take an argument seriously when it proves you don't have a clue.

There are actually people in the South Island and Wellington who currently fly/drive to Auckland to go to Warriors games because they view the Warriors as a 'New Zealand' team, as 'their' team. They don't go to every game but they're still fans of the club.

I note that it's okay for you comment on people that you know, just not me.

Last edited:

docbrown

Coach
Doc, i still whole-heartedly disagree, but damn you are good at this.

And vice versa. At the end of the day we must remember that it's just a hypothetical team.

Ultimately I just enjoy talking about marketing and I think rugby league has been getting by without really selling itself strongly. If the right guys - Ian Elliott on the commission - really click into gear, the game's going to grow in leaps and bounds. I'm glad they're doing a clean out, it's long over due.

I would hope the ARLC has a very long term idea of what it wants to do with NZ. If they don't see a third NZ team anytime in the next few decades then I would go with Southern Orcas pimarily in Wellington but with representation in the Sth island. If the ARLC can one day see a third team in the Sth Island they should go with Wellington and leave that market open for the future.

Well given all the others bidding its most likely that we'd only have 2 New Zealand for quite some time, if at all, so having the second side focus on Wellington & the South Island makes sense.

Ultimately what we want is a 50-50 divide in NZ rugby league supporters between the two teams. That's going to fuel the 'rugby league conversation'.

Imagine Wellington and Perth playing away games against teams like Penrith/Titans/Raiders,there will be crowds of 3k

Ultimately form plays its part but it's also about how they schedule the draw, promote memberships and build home crowds.

If Sydney clubs can start getting 20k+ membership then it won't matter if Perth or NZ2 only draw a minority traveling away fans, the home side could still have 15-20k home fans.

Then what's the point of calling the 2nd team New Zealand if they're only proactively engaging specific markets?

Because you should never do anything to turn away a willing customer. I don't care if they're not in your specific market. You engage specific markets. You embrace all general markets.

It's basic selling 101.

And don't start disconnecting existing customers from a brand they already bought into, hence why you don't start telling the rest of New Zealand that the Warriors are now an 'Auckland-only' club.

flamin said:
They're perceived as an Auckland team because they've only played one home game outside of Auckland in their history.

And a New Zealand Orcas team playing games in Wellington & Christchurch would be perceived as a local team for the exact same reason.

Every time you mention the Warriors being perceived as an Auckland team despite them not having the 'Auckland' branding you only serve to highlight how a second New Zealand team can do the same in Wellington & Christchurch.

docbrown said:
To use your own words "didn't work because the other locations were already represented".

There is no club based in Wellington or South Island so your argument does not apply.

flamin said:
I was referring to the fact that northern NZ is already represented by the Warriors.

Sorry, but you're have an each way bet here. Earlier you said -

flamin said:
They're perceived as an Auckland team because they've only played one home game outside of Auckland in their history.

and

flamin said:
the Warriors and a 2nd NZ would not be representing the same parts of the country

You haven't got your story straight on this one and it's pretty unconvincing.

To be honest, I think you've lost sight of your argument here.

flamin said:
You were the one who compared a 2nd NZ team to the Jets/Giants to claim they were similar.

Yes I was the one who compared the Jets/Giants because it is a similar real world situation.

You were the one who invented the scenario of an imaginary second North Queensland team in Cairns as if that had any bearing on reality.

You are the one complaining about the Cowboys and Broncos both potentially calling themselves Queensland when you are the one bringing it up in the first place.

If you feel the need to keep inventing imaginary situations in order to argue with yourself then please leave me out of it. ;-)

docbrown said:
And again I go back to start - if you want to prove that the 'New Zealand' name will hinder that then prove that they won't sign up for membership or go to games because of the 'New Zealand' name.

Just think about it logically. Nobody is going to turn away from the club because they're called 'New Zealand' instead of 'Wellington' or 'Southern'.

flamin said:
You want to talk about about a hypothetical situation that can only be measured through experience but you refuse to let other people talk in hypotheticals or talk about their experiences.

The only arguments to counter it have been subjective (I think Southern represents the team better than New Zealand) or based on far-fetched hypotheticals created by others ("Australian Titans and Queensland Broncos are crap names").

Honestly, if you want to prove that the New Zealand moniker is inferior to the "Southern" or "Wellington" names, then do it, but do it with some degree of logic.

If the New Zealand branding is so inferior to these alternatives, please just point out one scenario where the "New Zealand" branding is going to turn a potential customer away.

flamin said:
Of course a PNG team could be called PNG. Much the same as the Warriors were called NZ. If a 2nd PNG team came in and they were representing an area that a Port Moresby based team was not engaging with I'd fully expect that the 2nd team would have a different name to fit its region.

Again you're being subjective. Just because another team comes in it doesn't mean an existing club should be forced to change its identity.

These rules of branding that you're trying to apply are your own invention. They don't exist in the real world.

flamin said:
Of course fans won't turn away in droves.

Of course not, as I said there were no negative implications with having the New Zealand Warriors & New Zealand Kiwis brands existing at the same time.

flamin said:
You already mentioned the North v South rivalry. It makes sense to build on that with a name that reflects that rivalry.

And yet two Brisbane teams could build on a similar rivalry without needing to have different names that reflects that rivalry.

If two Brisbane teams can do it, two New Zealand teams can do it as well.

flamin said:
Further some locals will be put off if the team is not perceived as a truly local team - much the same as those non-Aucklanders who are already put off by the Warriors because theydon't perceive the Warriors as truly representing them but instead as an Auckland team who don't often engage with the rest of the country.

Finally! This goes back to the core question I was asking - "What do people think is going to happen? People won't sign up for memberships or go to games because they're called 'New Zealand'?

Of course not.

Those locals are put off because they perceive that the Warriors haven't done the ground work in engaging Wellington & South Island. It has nothing to do with a 'New Zealand' branding.

I would suggest that the cause of your confusion is mixing the concept of 'branding' with 'community engagement'

flamin said:
If it didn't work for the Warriors then why would "New Zealand" work for Wellington now?

Because you have to back it up with action, again community engagement is the key and if you would have read what I've written previously I have mentioned that numerous times already in this thread. Branding will only get you so far. Community engagement is the next step.

flamin said:
Then you prove with "facts" that an Aucklander will be more inclined to reject his local team and buy a membership simply because the team is called New Zealand but only proactively engages with Wellington/South Island and never plays a home game in Auckland.

I don't recall saying that at all. In fact, I don't even know what you're trying to say with that confusing paragraph.

flamin said:
there is no chance this bid team will go with the name New Zealand.

Even though you're now relying on psychic powers you're probably right.

Given that the last successful NRL bid team was called the 'Gold Coast Titans' I hold no high expectations that a second New Zealand side will be well branded and well marketed.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
Imagine Wellington and Perth playing away games against teams like Penrith/Titans/Raiders,there will be crowds of 3k

Theoretically Wellington and Perth could draw pretty good away crowds here in Canberra, particularly Wellington.

We get quite a bit of through traffic from politicians, army personal, etc and with Perth being the capital of WA a good chunk of that traffic comes from them, and that's without counting the part time Canberran's from WA. If the game was scheduled well it could draw a pretty big crowd.

I also would not underestimate Wellingtons pull in Canberra, if it was marketed well it could pull quite a few thought the gate.

Maybe call the two games that we play against each other the Clash of the Capitals or something like that, have us playing for some shield or cup, invite the Prime Ministers and the Ambassadors for each country to attend, special charity jerseys, special run Orcas Coconut (or whatever) flavored Canberra Milk for charity, you know the whole bit.

Wellington vs Canberra could be a big thing and really good for both teams and if it is done properly it could even spawn a rivalry, but it all relies on how the NRL, NZRL, Raiders and NZ2/Orcas handle it.

docbrown

Coach
Umm ... what a wonderful comeback that is! So you choose not to believe the fact that people in Wellington support sides other that the Warriors?

No actually I never said that. The only thing I specifically said to you was:

docbrown said:
I never take any argument seriously that is based around the people that some stranger knows (you know, so it must be true even if it can't be proven with things like facts...)

Where you lost your argument is when you started talking subjectively about the people you know. You can ramble on about your brother or your cricket captain or neighbour all you want but when you start to make inferences from it about the majority that's when you start to lose the plot.

Like I said, I never take any argument seriously that is based around the people that some stranger knows. You're no exception.

jamesgould said:
If you want to show me that people in Wellington don't support sides that aren't called NZ or Wellington,

Nobody wants to show you that because the only person who has brought that up is you. It's not even what we're talking about. :roll:

jamesgould said:
I note that it's okay for you comment on people that you know, just not me.

The minute you catch me talking about the fan loyalties of my cricket club then you might have a point. ;-)

docbrown

Coach
Wellington vs Canberra could be a big thing and really good for both teams and if it is done properly it could even spawn a rivalry, but it all relies on how the NRL, NZRL, Raiders and NZ2/Orcas handle it.

Anzac Day or the Anzac round would be an obvious choice for that game.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Why would titans v perth be any smaller than titans v parra or raiders v Panthers? Clubs shouldn't have to rely on away fans to justify their existence!

The Great Dane

First Grade
Anzac Day or the Anzac round would be an obvious choice for that game.

I agree and disagree at the same time.

Though it is the obvious choice, Anzac day is pretty much taken up with the Dragons vs Roosters and the Storm vs Warriors and the game would lose a lot of meaning if it was held in Anzac round but not on Anzac day, I mean the two capitals of the countries that make up the Anzacs being played on pay TV on the weekend as a supporting act to the Dragons vs Roosters on FTA on Anzac day, f##k that. That would be an embarrassment for the game and lets be honest nine isn't going to play a game between the Raiders and NZ2 over the Roosters vs Dragons.

Nah, hold it as it's own event and give it it's own meaning. Maybe use the games as a celebration of the friendship and rivalry our two nations have shared for generations (look I'm already writing the speech that they would give before the game!) and raise some money for charity in the process.

Much better idea then making (even more of) a mockery of the meaning of ANZAC by having the main event of Anzac day between to Sydney based teams while both the capitals of the countries that make up the Anzacs, team's are playing second fiddle to them (in reality probably third fiddle).

The Great Dane

First Grade
Why would titans v perth be any smaller than titans v parra or raiders v Panthers? Clubs shouldn't have to rely on away fans to justify their existence!

Maybe because on the Gold Coast there was already a reasonable Eels fan base and in Canberra their was already a reasonable Panthers fan base before those areas got their own teams!

A more applicable example would have been a Titans vs Panthers game in Penrith, because the Titans are a reasonably new team and their would be very few people in Penrith who would feel compelled to support them when the Panthers have been active in the area for so much longer with so much more history.

Man you really are going to regret saying some of this stuff when the Pirates have been around for a while and they hit some of those inevitable tough times on the field and their crowds nosedive, really haven't a clue what you are talking about.

jamesgould

Juniors
No actually I never said that. The only thing I specifically said to you was:

Where you lost your argument is when you started talking subjectively about the people you know. You can ramble on about your brother or your cricket captain or neighbour all you want but when you start to make inferences from it about the majority that's when you start to lose the plot.

Like I said, I never take any argument seriously that is based around the people that some stranger knows. You're no exception.

Nobody wants to show you that because the only person who has brought that up is you. It's not even what we're talking about. :roll:

The minute you catch me talking about the fan loyalties of my cricket club then you might have a point. ;-)

Sigh ... you said that people outside of Wellington would be put off supporting a side from Wellington if it wasn't called NZ. I've provided the example of the majority of people who I know that support sides in Australia to show this isn't true, much as you provided the example of people you know flying to Auckland for games. I also provided the example of the Wellington Phoenix gaining it's largest crowds outside of Wellington.

I never said the majority of people support sides other than the Warriors, I said the majority of people I know do. It's you saying I'm using this small sample to speak for the majority, not me. This was in reply to your baseless statement that if the side is called Wellington or Southern it will put some people off supporting them.

If you can't understand the basic premise of what I'm saying on the third attempt, and can only pick it apart with your own inventions of what I said, there's no point continuing.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Man you really are going to regret saying some of this stuff when the Pirates have been around for a while and they hit some of those inevitable tough times on the field and their crowds nosedive, really haven't a clue what you are talking about.

Why will I? I am very realistic of what Perth's crowds are likely to be, the same as most clubs without the benefit of travlleing fans. 12-14k in a bad season, 15-17k in a good year with the odd 20k sell out against the better supported teams in perth. The advantage we have is that we have starved RL fans who are desperate to watch live games and we have lots and lots of fans here who support a club but Pirates will be their second and regular team, that means when the likes of St's, Souths, Broncos or the other better supported clubs are in town we will see a boost in the crowd.

We have targetted a 10k membership base and a 15k crowd avg in our first years, very achievable if the club is run well and marketing is done correctly.

docbrown

Coach
I agree and disagree at the same time.

Though it is the obvious choice, Anzac day is pretty much taken up with the Dragons vs Roosters and the Storm vs Warriors and the game would lose a lot of meaning if it was held in Anzac round but not on Anzac day,

Back on the main thread I was suggesting the Canberra should look at an early Anzac Day eve game against NZ2, say with a 6:45-7:00pm kick off so that it could finish early enough for people to go to the dawn service the next day.

That would make it its own event and not be overshadowed by the games the next day but I do agree with the points that you've raised.

I hope that we can give every side at least one new big event game that they can sell.

Maybe use the games as a celebration of the friendship and rivalry our two nations have shared for generations (look I'm already writing the speech that they would give before the game!) and raise some money for charity in the process.

Agree with all that too.

docbrown

Coach
Sigh ... you said that people outside of Wellington would be put off supporting a side from Wellington if it wasn't called NZ.

No I actually said people in North Island may be put off if the club is called 'Southern' and people in South Island may be put off if the club is called 'Wellington' which is perfectly logical.

Go back and reread the thread, you don't even know what we've been talking about.

At no point did I said "people outside of Wellington would be put off supporting a side from Wellington if it wasn't called NZ". It doesn't expressly have to be called New Zealand, just a name that can clearly represent both without turning anyone away. I just find it amusing that some people think that calling both clubs 'New Zealand' is going to have negative consequences when it's just not logical.

When someone else suggested the Maori name Aotearoa as an alternative I said that could work just as well for the exact same reason.

So James if you're going to have a whinge at least get your story straight. ;-)

I've provided the example of the majority of people who I know that support sides in Australia to show this isn't true

You still don't get why I don't care about your cousins or some neighbour of yours. Its practically meaningless so stop trying to infer anything relevant from it.

much as you provided the example of people you know flying to Auckland for games.

Now I know you've lost the plot. I actually said -

docbrown said:
There are actually people in the South Island and Wellington who currently fly/drive to Auckland to go to Warriors games because they view the Warriors as a 'New Zealand' team, as 'their' team

At no point did I start waffling on like you about some cousin or some guy who lives down the street who goes to games so stop trying to spin it that way to justify your nonsense.

there's no point continuing.

Your choice but if you want to continue at least try and know what you're actually talking about.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Why will I? I am very realistic of what Perth's crowds are likely to be, the same as most clubs without the benefit of travlleing fans. 12-14k in a bad season, 15-17k in a good year with the odd 20k sell out against the better supported teams in perth. The advantage we have is that we have starved RL fans who are desperate to watch live games and we have lots and lots of fans here who support a club but Pirates will be their second and regular team, that means when the likes of St's, Souths, Broncos or the other better supported clubs are in town we will see a boost in the crowd.

We have targetted a 10k membership base and a 15k crowd avg in our first years, very achievable if the club is run well and marketing is done correctly.

That advantage of a RL starved community will only last a season or two then everybody will get used to having the Pirates around and the numbers will even out, further more call it what it is: the novelty effect.

Do you seriously expect the fans of other clubs to show up regularly anytime soon! Mate the Raiders have been in Canberra for 30 years and we still have a large portion of our fan base that follows their old team as well as the Raiders and only come to a few games a year because of it. Hell I'd probably be one of them myself if the Bears were still around! You can't expect all of them to jump on board strait away and start coming to every game, for many of them the Pirates will always be their second team.

Trust me a couple of bad years, maybe even a spoon and the Pirates will become victims of their own lack of success and they'll start pulling small crowds just like every other team who has ever been in that position, but on the other side of that coin there are the times when you are going well and you string a couple of good years together, maybe even a premiership and NIB will be full every second week.

The good crowds and the very good crowds will come but so will the bad and even the horrible, it's inevitable and no team is exempt.

Xfactor1979

Bench
The upside of the pirates expansion will be the recruiting and entry system for the NRL is far more understandable than the confusing AFL system :lol:

Ie got skills? We'll pay you money to play.

The Great Dane

First Grade

To be fair it's not the Warriors saying that NZ isn't ready for a second team it's one ex-player (Awen Guttenbeil) who's reasoning is that the Warriors haven't had enough success yet, which is the dumbest reasoning I've heard as a reason not to expand.

I think you'll find that historically the Warriors have been nothing but supportive of a Second NRL team as the pros of a second team in NZ far out weigh the cons even for them.

Didn't the Warriors owner give Gallop a blank check to setup a second team in NZ at one point?

byrner

Juniors
Didn't the Warriors owner give Gallop a blank check to setup a second team in NZ at one point?

Yeah, I remember it was something like that.
NZ has so much 'rugby' talent. A second league side would reap the benifit of ready made a player pool.

I was shocked whenI was last in Auckland, the love for league there was massive. I recon they could even get a second team playing out of there as well as wellington.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Yeah, I remember it was something like that.
NZ has so much 'rugby' talent. A second league side would reap the benifit of ready made a player pool.

I was shocked when I was last in Auckland, the love for league there was massive. I recon they could even get a second team playing out of there as well as wellington.

That might be a step to far, it could end up like whats happening in the AFL in Sydney with the newer club just leaching off the older clubs fan base and creating two smaller clubs instead of one big one.

Then again you never know, there might come a day when a second team in Auckland becomes inevitable.

Diesel

Referee
I'm a Warriors fan and would love a 2nd NZ team, it'd be good for the Warriors and good for NZ, more players, more coverage, more competition and move rivilaries. I'd say most Warriors fans would like a 2nd NZ team