What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wellington SHOULD be the next NRL team.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
To be fair it's not the Warriors saying that NZ isn't ready for a second team it's one ex-player (Awen Guttenbeil) who's reasoning is that the Warriors haven't had enough success yet, which is the dumbest reasoning I've heard as a reason not to expand.

I think you'll find that historically the Warriors have been nothing but supportive of a Second NRL team as the pros of a second team in NZ far out weigh the cons even for them.

Didn't the Warriors owner give Gallop a blank check to setup a second team in NZ at one point?

I hate that reasoning too.

Imagine if we said no more NSW clubs until the Sharks have "success".

Not meaning to have a go at the Sharks, but that highlights how stupid the argument is.

mongoose

Coach
A second NZ team is an absolute must, in fact I think it would be the safest bid option out of all of them. If a rich NZ business man would give them backing then it's a no brainer. The Wellington Orcas or whatever would hit the ground running.

I would have them before Brisbane II to be honest. I think the Titans need to establish themselves better before introducing another SE QLD team.

as much as I'd love to see a 2nd QLD team I'd definitely go for Wellington ahead of any of the other bids the positives far outweight the negatives and Wellington makes the most sense. I agree with most of the comments although the Warriors havent reached their full potential theres no saying a 2nd NZ team wouldnt offer more potential. I'd go Welly instead of Perth there is less distance for the NSW and QLD teams than travelling to Perth but either way any of those teams would be good for the sport in Australia and NZ.

byrner

Juniors
Which ever way they go with it, it would be good to see a Strategic plan for expansion when they review it.

jamesgould

Juniors
With the Phoenix wanting to build their own stadium in Petone, there would no longer be an issue about the number of night events each year at Westpac Stadium, either. Although I'm not even sure the Phoenix play many games at night anymore, actually?

That Petone stadium is a great idea - pity it's only planned to seat 12,000. Any NRL side to be based in Wellington could benefit from a rectangular 20,000 seater.

georgesnmith

Juniors
perth and brisbane 2 are the next expansion teams.

once the nrl has got australia covered it needs to look at further nrl expansion.

2 NZ NRL sides with a salary cap of $10 million or more by the time the next TV deal is finished should be the aim

in addition a marquee player allowance of 2 million per club should be allowed

if all these are put in place RL could cherry pick any All Black player it wanted and the S15 series would be devastated.

this is a longer term goal however, the immediate priority has to be australia.

byrner

Juniors
perth and brisbane 2 are the next expansion teams.

once the nrl has got australia covered it needs to look at further nrl expansion.

2 NZ NRL sides with a salary cap of $10 million or more by the time the next TV deal is finished should be the aim

in addition a marquee player allowance of 2 million per club should be allowed

if all these are put in place RL could cherry pick any All Black player it wanted and the S15 series would be devastated.

this is a longer term goal however, the immediate priority has to be australia.

I agree with a lot of what you say, but why has Australia got to be the immediate priority?
An NZ team would be just as benifitial as anther team here.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If you are looking at genuine expansion then Perth and Wellington would be the preferred bids. Problem is Brisbane2 is arguably the most profitable bid for the game. If the NRL thinks it has enough money it might not matter but I sense they will play it safe with a Perth bid that will need some financial infrastructure support and brisbane2 that will bring in extra $'s to help cover it.

The Great Dane

First Grade
If you are looking at genuine expansion then Perth and Wellington would be the preferred bids. Problem is Brisbane2 is arguably the most profitable bid for the game. If the NRL thinks it has enough money it might not matter but I sense they will play it safe with a Perth bid that will need some financial infrastructure support and brisbane2 that will bring in extra $'s to help cover it.

It's definitely the most profitable, if we take our time and wait for the best bid for Brisbane and the NRL. That bid doesn't exist yet, but Brothers are making a go of it.

We don't really know anything about the Wellington bids, so it's hard to say whether or not they are good bids, but if one of them is a better option then any of the Brisbane bids then we shouldn't be afraid to go down that route and give Brisbane more time.

BuffaloRules

Coach
We know that Perth is going to be a net loss to the game for a while.

I agree that it makes sense to try and offset this with a second Brisbane team which is a no risk winner.

Perth and Wellington during the same expansion period is too risky.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
It's definitely the most profitable, if we take our time and wait for the best bid for Brisbane and the NRL. That bid doesn't exist yet, but Brothers are making a go of it.

We don't really know anything about the Wellington bids, so it's hard to say whether or not they are good bids, but if one of them is a better option then any of the Brisbane bids then we shouldn't be afraid to go down that route and give Brisbane more time.

I dont understand why we should just leave this Brisbane bid to chance.

The ARLC could pick a bid (*cough* Brothers *cough*), jump in with them and build them a perfect corporate structure.

Knownothing

Juniors

Firstly, any current All Black could earn far more in France or the UK than they could ever earn in the NRL. One reason that they don't is because they would lose their place in the national team. So, why would they go to the NRL?

Secondly, anything that weakened New Zealand teams would actually be good for Super Rugby, within reason.

Last edited:

georgesnmith

Juniors
I agree with a lot of what you say, but why has Australia got to be the immediate priority?
An NZ team would be just as benifitial as anther team here.

AFL is pushing hard to expand into australia, weve got to cover those bases.

plus expansion in australia is safer and will also pay off more in terms of the next TV deal

both perth and Brisbane 2 will add a lot to the TV deal, despite what gyngell says

end of the day we are only bringing back teams the ARL had in 1995 before Murdoch had his vision.

PNG will add little to the TV deal, thats more long term investment in the game

same with Wellington i doubt it will increase the TV rights more than either PERth or brisbane

georgesnmith

Juniors
Firstly, any current All Black could earn far more in France or the UK than they could ever earn in the NRL. One reason that they don't is because they would lose their place in the national team. So, why would they go to the NRL?

Secondly, anything that weakened New Zealand teams would actually be good for Super Rugby, within reason.

They cant play in france without an exception from the NZRU, which only one player currently gets

so if they want to play for the All blacks they have to play Super 15s.

the Super 15s and indeed NZRU wont be able to match the salaries offered in the NRL so its only a matter of time before market forces sort it out

the current NRL TV deal is for double that of the Super 15s.

and i wasnt that impressed with our last deal TBH

Foxtel shouldve paid more and we didnt expand

PErth and brisbane will add tens of millions to the next deal

the top NRL players will be getting 2 million or more by the next TV deal.

georgesnmith

Juniors
the nrl should be looking at 22 - 24 teams eventually.

id go

1. next time - perth, brisbane
2. then ..PNG (some games in darwin), wellington (some games in christchuch, dunedin etc)
3. then Adelaide and ???central coast / PAcific islands team

id split the NRL into two conferences, one being a sydney / nsw conference the other being all the queesland teams and expansion teams

home and away in your conference leading to a top 5 semi series with the grand final of the nsw confernce in homebush the other at suncorp

winners into a superbowl.

we need more sydney derbies both for crowds and TV ratings, same for queensland derbies.

if they can do that it will blow AFL out of the water.

Knownothing

Juniors
the top NRL players will be getting 2 million or more by the next TV deal.

You could be right, and all the media experts who say that the traditional media outlets will be getting less and less revenue in the future could be wrong.

The AFL currently employ 50 journalists, they are getting ready to change the delivery of their product quite radically, to pay-for-view on whatever the latest and greatest media vehicles are in the future.

Foxtel and FTA are not guaranteed a future, certainly they are not guaranteed continuing revenue growth. It is just as likely that the current NRL deal is a high water mark for the sport.

georgesnmith

Juniors
You could be right, and all the media experts who say that the traditional media outlets will be getting less and less revenue in the future could be wrong.

The AFL currently employ 50 journalists, they are getting ready to change the delivery of their product quite radically, to pay-for-view on whatever the latest and greatest media vehicles are in the future.

Foxtel and FTA are not guaranteed a future, certainly they are not guaranteed continuing revenue growth. It is just as likely that the current NRL deal is a high water mark for the sport.

the NRL is the most watched sport in australia (beating its nearest rival AFL by 40 million viewers a season)

whether people watch on TV or other forms of media, the NRL will be making a lot of money off it.

by eliminating news ltd (Foxtels) first and last rights we are perfectly set up to exploit any forms of new media around

the only sports getting overs in australia are A League soccer and Union. australia really cant support 4 football codes, its inevitable one of them goes semi professional within 10 years

Knownothing

Juniors
the only sports getting overs in australia are A League soccer and Union. australia really cant support 4 football codes, its inevitable one of them goes semi professional within 10 years

Soccer has survived up until now, and whilever they remain in Asia they will do okay.

The next Super Rugby deal will deliver far more to the ARU (it is not dependent on Australian ratings only) and there is no way that the IRB would allow rugby union to wither away in Australia. Here's a clue, the current CEO of the IRB is an Australian. Australia is the third or fourth ranked Test nation. Rugby union is certainly not dependent on local tv ratings only.

Joker's Wild

Coach
I'm a Warriors fan and would love a 2nd NZ team, it'd be good for the Warriors and good for NZ, more players, more coverage, more competition and move rivilaries. I'd say most Warriors fans would like a 2nd NZ team

Id say NZ league fans in general would love a 2nd team. its an extra 13 games a year of league in the country that they get to go to

Its the same reason most non Broncos fans want a 2nd Brisbane team.