What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wendell Sailor officially retires from the NRL

The Colonel

Immortal
Speculation rife that Wendell Sailor set to retire from NRL

| November 12, 2009 08:12am

THE Dragons� NRL club has called a surprise press conference where speculation is rife that one of the rugby league�s most popular players Wendell Sailor will announce his retirement. Thirty-five-year-old Sailor had been expected to seek a contract to play for one more year with St George Illawarra Dragons after having a successful season last year. See Wendell's stats for last season and his career

But NRL sources are saying today they expect the larger-than-life star, who turns 36 in July, has now decided to hang up his boots to go out on a career-high after the Dragons took out the minor premiership. The Dragons will confirm whether this speculation is correct at a 10am press conference.

It will, however, be a decision that will disappoint thousands of Dragons’ fans.

During a long career, the 190cm tall, 112kg Sailor has seen the highs and lows of football: 14 games representing Queensland, 16 Tests for the Kangaroos, the controversial switch to rugby union to become a Wallaby then a two-year ban over cocaine.

But coming back form the cocaine ban at an age when most footballers are over the hill, the former Brisbane Bronco star surprised many during this year’s NRL season when the Dragons gave him a lifeline and his player performance was excellent, proving a genuine crowd-puller for the Dragons.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/sport/nrl/story/0,26746,26339364-5003409,00.html

Last edited:

Godz Illa

Coach
baron.. just try to ignore him. You know, like we all ignore your posts.

Congrats to Dell on a brilliant on-field career, but especially for rebuilding his badly damaged reputation these last two years at Saints. Hours of community work and time spent with fans did not go unnoticed

Goddo

Bench
No the indeg. game will be his last... very fitting finale to a wonderful career. I will always remember him with a hair doo like the main charicter in Blade in the checkered Broncos jersey, or big bad and bald in the red v.

nrlnrl

First Grade
I reckon he'll play in the All-Stars game, start an off-field role with the Dragons & keep the door open to help them out on the field if the injury toll becomes a problem for their playing roster

Last edited:

The Colonel

Immortal
WENDELL SAILOR ANNOUNCES HIS RETIREMENT

Thursday, 12 November 2009
Dragons winger and dual international Wendell Sailor has today announced his retirement from the game of rugby league and professional sport after 11 seasons in top flight rugby league and five in rugby union.
After 222 matches in the NRL, Sailor, alongside his first and last coach in Wayne Bennett and Dragons CEO Peter Doust said the time was right to pull the curtain on his remarkable and eventful career.
“It is somewhat ironic sitting here today next to Wayne Bennett announcing my retirement, when I first went to Brisbane as a skinny 17 year old kid he told me I couldn’t play … well as we all know I went on to become a dual International and he even followed me here to the Dragons,” said Sailor.
“Even though this is a major decision in anyone’s life, it is not one that I had to think too much about. I came back to rugby league and achieved what I wanted and needed to, with a fantastic club in the Dragons, added Sailor.
“I have had my time and now I am ready to step aside and let the great young players here have their turn. My family and I are ready for this next phase in our lives and I look forward to still being a part of the Dragons for many years to come.”
Sailor, one of the games great entertainers, said he was extremely grateful for the overwhelming support shown to him by everyone involved in rugby league throughout his 16 year career.
“There are many people who have supported me throughout my entire career in rugby league and to them I am very grateful,” said Sailor. “I would especially like to thank the people who were instrumental in getting my career back on track here at the Dragons; Nathan Brown, Peter Doust and the senior players back in 2007.
“I will be forever grateful to these blokes; they believed in me, they gave me the chance to redeem myself, added Sailor. They gave me the opportunity to continue to do what I love, to continue to play footy and to contribute positively with enthusiasm, hard work, energy and a few laughs along the way”.
The popular and charismatic Sailor was born in Sarina, Queensland and began his career with the Brisbane Broncos as a 19 year-old in 1993, winning four premierships in his seven years and 189 games at the club. Sailor also gained representative honours with Queensland (17 games) and Australia (19 games), and was named ‘Player of the Tournament’ at the 2000 Rugby League World Cup.
In 2001 Sailor signed with the Australian Rugby Union, starting a trend of high-profile rugby league converts to the 15-a-side game. Sailor made his rugby union debut in 2001 for the Queensland Reds and gained his first representative honour in 2002 when he was chosen to represent Australia, going on to play 37 Tests. In 2005 Sailor left the Reds to play with the New South Wales Waratahs.
In May of 2006 Sailor was banned from competitive sport in Australia for two years for testing positive to recreational drugs and experienced the most challenging time of his life.
Sailor spent much of his “sabbatical” within the community, helping others and since returning to professional sport, he has continued to work within the community, proving that you can get a second chance in life.
“Having my sport taken away from me was definitely the lowest time of my life,” said Sailor. “I let a lot of people down with that stupid mistake and I just knew I had to make things right.
“I had the unwavering support of my family and friends, especially my wife Tara and children Tristan and Matisse throughout this tough time and we all knew that I wasn’t finished and that returning to rugby league was the right thing to do,” added Sailor.
In 2008 Sailor joined the St George Illawarra Dragons and began his “road to redemption”, playing 33 matches and scoring 17 of his 127 career tries over the past two seasons with the traditional Sydney-based club.
Sailor proved to be a crowd favourite at the Dragons, with his on-field form and entertaining antics endearing Sailor to the red and white faithful, while his work outside of football and in the community officially recognised this season when Sailor was nominated for the games highest community honour, the Ken Stephens Medal.
“It is fair to say that Wendell’s return to rugby league in 2008 after his very public mistake and suspension whilst playing rugby union was met with widespread scepticism,” said Dragons CEO Peter Doust. “Yet largely through his brutal honesty and endeavours in the community, Wendell has successfully re-built his brand and image to become one of the most popular and influential characters in Australian sport.
“Wendell is a unique person, the energy and enthusiasm he has brought to the Dragons both on and off the field has been nothing short of remarkable,” added Doust. “I am sure that all Dragons fans will be very pleased to know that Wendell will remain a part of our Club and the game, he will have an ambassadorial role with the Dragons, working within Red V Membership, Partnerships, Dragons Community and Dragons TV”.
The NRL have also offered Wendell a role within their “One Community” program and have acknowledged that should the public vote continue as it has and he can maintain his selection in the Indigenous team for the match against the All Stars at Skilled Park on the Gold Coast on February 13.
“Wendell has finished his career in a way that has inspired the community,” said NRL CEO David Gallop. “He’s shown that people cannot only overcome their mistakes but they can be better for the experience. In doing so he’s brought joy and excitement to thousands of fans and provided guidance to young players.
We are keen to see him play an important role in our one community programme and a role in promoting rugby league,” added Gallop.
Wayne Bennett has been as close as anyone to Sailor throughout his time in professional sport, admiring him both as an athlete and a person.
“I have had a lot of wonderful milestones in my coaching career, but to have coached Wendell in his first game in 1993 and his last game in 2009 with all of the things that have happened along the way and in between has been very special,” said Bennett.
“No other player has challenged me as much as Wendell because of this personality, but I have loved the challenge and like everyone else, enjoy being in his company.
“It has afforded me the opportunity to have a wonderful insight into the life of a pretty extraordinary person. He talked it up when he was 17 when I first met him and he has continued to talk up a cyclone ever since. That is the Wendell package; you can’t have one without the other.
“For all the talk and antics, Wendell is an absolute professional. Never once when he was training or playing did I ever have to chastise him about his effort, he was a great role model for others and a great team person.
“To his credit, through his efforts, remorse and cander he won back the respect of the nation and his personality both on and off the field has been just the tonic that the game of rugby league needed.
“I know as a coach Wendell has made the right decision, he feels good and comfortable with his decision and he will leave the game as all champions should, on top,” said Bennett. “We will miss him, the game will miss him but the good news is he won’t be lost to the Club or the game.

http://www.dragons.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&id=21225

user_nat

Coach
Not surprising, was expecting him to retire this year.

Being a 35 year old winger is pretty impressive though.

Bench
How will it be "going out on a career high",it was the minor premiership,some journo's have no idea.
Anyhow good luck Dell,thanks for the memories.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Will this make him no longer ellegible for the indigenous side?
He's already stated previously that irrespective of his decision on his retirement, if selected for the indigenous side he'll play.

It'd be a nice send off for him, love him or hate him, you have to admire the man how he rebuilt his career and image. As a Saints fan, I'm thankful for all his work and dedication he put into our club and the community, his last month or two at the club though showed he would have struggled continuing on, he retired at the right time.

Mr Saab

Referee
Look forward to his comments on channel nine and not laughing like a dickhead 24/7 like Monkey Johns.

God-King Dean

Immortal
He was only at Saints for a season & a half, but it feels like he's been there forever.

Writing was on the wall. They couldn't afford to hold Nightingale, Lett & Tagive back.

jpaciocco91

Juniors
Thanks for the memories Wendell. You've only been here since June '08, but yeah, it does feel you've been here forever! Any other charismatic funky wingers in the team? I just can't see Morris, Boyd or Nightingale doing the weird dances Wendell did.