What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wes in trouble... again

God-King Dean

Immortal
I have no source online yet so I'll just type the article from the 3rd page of the Sunday Telegraph...

DRAGON IN STRIFE

" DRAGONS star Wes Naiqama is facing the sack & a possible jail term after being photographed driving a car on Friday - despite being banned from driving until 2013.

Last December, after his forth driving offence, Naiqama was fined $2,500 & given a furthur two-year driving ban, taking him off the road until 2013. "

What a f*cking idiot.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Google will give you the online version.

You forgot to mention that its a Rebecca Wilson article.

It doesn't actually say he was driving, although that's the clear insinuation. It says he was photographed behind the wheel.

Naiqama facing jail term
By Rebecca Wilson and Phil Rothfield

November 19, 2006 12:00

ST GEORGE Illawarra winger Wes Naiqama is facing a possible jail term after being photographed behind the wheel of a car while disqualified from driving.

The Dragons star is banned from driving until 2013, but was pictured in Saturday's Daily Telegraph getting into the driver's seat of a Toyota car with his sometime girlfriend, singer Paulini.

Another photo which was not published shows Naiqama actually driving the car away from the Surry Hills cafe the couple had visited on Friday afternoon.

The 23-year-old winger was disqualified from driving until 2013 last December and fined $2500 at Downing Centre Local Court.

It was his fourth serious driving offence.

St George Illawarra officials could not be contacted last night but a source at the club said Naiqama would almost certainly be facing the sack.

"The club has tried very hard to help Wes with different problems off the field,'' the source said.

"But they can only tolerate so much.''

Surry Hills police last night confirmed they'd bring Naiqama in for questioning after they had seen the photographs.

"I think we would have a pretty good case,'' a police spokesman said.

"If we have the statements and the photos there won't be a problem in charging him with a driving offence.

NSW police traffic commander John Hartley added:

"We will view the photographs and seek the assistance of the photographer and if there is evidence of an offence taken place we will take action.''

http://www.news.com.au/sundaytelegraph/story/0,22049,20782301-5001023,00.html

God-King Dean

Immortal
Yeah, well I only saw the little version.

Wouldn't surprise me either if the stupid b*tch took the photo herself. But either way, IF it's true, Wes isn't a very smart guy.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Well we'll wait for the official word on this. I just don't trust the rantings of Rebecca and the tabloids.

But in the past the club has done everything it can with sound advice and assistance. If Wes has ignored that advice and gets sacked, then its unfortunate.

I'm of the opinion that he is/was set for a big season.

The Preacher

First Grade
It seems to me that it was the f**ken Telegraph that gave the police the photos. They should worry about cleaning up their own backyard before they worry about dobbing in others.
The bitch has been dirty on the world ever since she was born without an appendage. :x

dannyboy

Juniors
You may not like the messenger Preach but it's not her fault that Wes is a menace on the road who cares nought for the law.

The Preacher

First Grade
dannyboy said:
You may not like the messenger Preach but it's not her fault that Wes is a menace on the road who cares nought for the law.

As far as her commenting on Wes, it should be a case of remembering that "People in grass houses shouldn't throw lawnmowers":sarcasm:
The "high moral ground" stance they have taken stinks of double standards.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
...today's follow up from Dean Ritchie:

When will you learn

By Dean Ritchie
November 20, 2006 12:00

PHOTOGRAPHER is expected to give evidence today that could see St George Illawarra winger Wes Naiqama sacked as an NRL player and jailed for three months.

The Dragons remain furious Naiqama was photographed last week by The Daily Telegraph driving in Surry Hills while disqualified.

Dragons management has repeatedly told Naiqama about the dire consequences of driving while disqualified – but he ignored their advice.
St George Illawarra and police will today investigate the incident, which was exposed in yesterday's Sunday Telegraph.

Naiqama is banned from driving until 2013 but was caught behind the wheel of a Toyota car with his sometime girlfriend, singer Paulini Curuenavuli.

In a day of drama:
Some Dragons officials want Naiqama axed, others are pushing for him to be given another chance given his tough upbringing. Dragons official and former policeman Craig Young will help with the investigation.

Police will today interview Naiqama and Daily Telegraph photographer John Grainger.

Grainger will give a statement and be asked whether Naiqama was photographed simply sitting in the driver's seat or whether he was driving.

"He took off at speed when he saw me – he was definitely driving," Grainger said.

If charged and convicted, Naiqama could be imprisoned for three months at a low-security jail.

Naiqama, 23, was disqualified last December and fined $2500 at Downing Centre Local Court.

It was his fourth serious driving offence.

Police traffic commander John Hartley said Naiqama could be facing a jail term.

"If there is evidence, we can charge him and he will go before a court," Hartley said.

"It is up to the magistrate but if the alleged offence is proven, there is a good chance he will receive a jail term.

"There are, however, a range of penalties from a fine to a jail term."

St George Illawarra officials ducked for cover yesterday, refusing to return calls from The Daily Telegraph with club media manager Jo Banning left to deal with the press.

NRL chief executive David Gallop wants to be kept informed over the drama.
"Initially it's a matter for police," Gallop said.

"We will wait for the Dragons to advise us of their position."

In September this year, the Dragons offered Naiqama counselling after he was involved in a public row with sometime girlfriend – the singer Paulini.

Naiqama was in a Double Bay establishment when he had an argument with the former Australian Idol contestant and Young Divas star. It was reported he punched a wall during the drama.

The pair had split in July – a week after police were called to a late-night dispute between the two outside a city nightclub.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,20785476-5006066,00.html

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The Preacher said:
As far as her commenting on Wes, it should be a case of remembering that "People in grass houses shouldn't throw lawnmowers":sarcasm:
The "high moral ground" stance they have taken stinks of double standards.
lol I assume you're aware of Rebecca's antics...

Phil Gould's column 28/12/2003:

She [Rebecca Wilson] currently makes her living as a talking head and muckraker with a News Ltd paper. She was recently exposed as a repeat offender on driving charges, including drink driving and driving without a licence.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/12/27/1072308726945.html?from=storyrhs

Ribs

Bench
If was anyone else but Wilson Id take strong action but I wouldnt dare give her the satisfaction.

She is a pathetic whinging biatch and it's well known that she has had her run ins with regards to driving offences.

Anyway how is everyone? I havent been around for a bit, I really missed you guys ha ha :crazy:

Collateral

Coach
Geez I hate dobbers. I cannot fathom what reward they get by doing such things, as opposed to the humiliation of being one.

The Preacher

First Grade
Ribs said:
If was anyone else but Wilson Id take strong action but I wouldnt dare give her the satisfaction.

She is a pathetic whinging biatch and it's well known that she has had her run ins with regards to driving offences.

Anyway how is everyone? I havent been around for a bit, I really missed you guys ha ha :crazy:

We thought you'd got a job with News Ltd.

Well, they have used you before because of your talent Ribs.:D

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Tough call this one. You don't want to sack a player like Wes as I think he will be valuable to the side and if he goes somewhere else will come back and haunt us. But if he gets away with it again (4th time) the idiot will never learn and the Dragons will look like a soft club with no discipline.

Father Ted

First Grade
No we don't sack him . I think the following
1 Make him attend a course on the evils of drink driving with a minder who's job it will be to make him attend ( Craig Young ) .
2 Fine him a bundle of Dollars under his club code of conduct clause .
3 Suggest to him his current relationship might not be a healthy one .
4 Start him in reserve grade and make him earn his first grade sport .
5 All public statements on the matter should reflect on the irony of a drink driving player being put in by a drink driving journo .

Willow

Assistant Moderator
There's a real trial by media thing developing.

Hopefully the club won't be swayed by that.

No doubt their choices will be limited if he is charged.

Police focus on Dragon
November 20, 2006

POLICE will today interview a newspaper photographer to determine whether St George Illawarra winger Wes Naiqama is to face charges of driving while disqualified.

Photographs of the 24-year-old winger getting into a car and sitting in the vehicle driver's seat, in the inner Sydney suburb of Surry Hills, were published by the The Sunday Telegraph yesterday, sparking speculation he will be sacked by the Dragons.

Naiqama is suspended from driving until 2013.

Photographer John Grainger today told The Daily Telegraph Naiqama was driving the vehicle.

"He took off at speed when he saw me – he was definitely driving," said Grainger.

A New South Wales police spokeswoman said a decision will be made on whether the winger has a case to answer after they interview Grainger later today.

"It hasn't happened as yet," said the spokeswoman.

"All we can say is the investigation is continuing and until such a time as we can get a version of events we can't really proceed.

"We will then make a determination on what the witness provides, whether there's substantial evidence to actually proceed."

Naiqama was originally disqualified from driving in 2002, and had it increased in December last year after being caught driving unlicensed three months earlier.
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,20788063-23214,00.html

Collateral

Coach
Willow said:
Photographer John Grainger today told The Daily Telegraph Naiqama was driving the vehicle.

"He took off at speed when he saw me – he was definitely driving," said Grainger.

Funny though, how he has no pictures of Wes actually driving the car.

IMO there is no way he can have anything legal done to him...its like saying someone must of comitted a murder because they have a photo of him holding a gun.

The Dodger

First Grade
todays paper shows him in the right side of the car with his hands in front of him as if he was holding the steering wheel.

the only case is, is when this photo was taken.

and didnt he break up with paulini?

Collateral

Coach
DPG said:
todays paper shows him in the right side of the car with his hands in front of him as if he was holding the steering wheel.

Like I said, that means nothing. As far as I know, it is not illegal for him to sit in the drivers seat of a car if it is stationary. Maybe they were sitting there listening to the cd player?