What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wes in trouble... again

Willow

Assistant Moderator
DPG said:
todays paper shows him in the right side of the car with his hands in front of him as if he was holding the steering wheel.

the only case is, is when this photo was taken.
Well it can also mean he was just sitting there waiting for the driver to get off her mobile phone. Photo could be reversed, doctored in some way. We simply don't know.
The police are interviewing the photographer today and he has said in the media that he saw Wes driving. We'll see what develops.

DPG said:
and didnt he break up with paulini?
Am I the only one who doesn't give a sh*t? LOL

Godz Illa

Coach
Your jetsetting habits are of no concern to us dannyboy.

Back to the topic, I'll again re-iterate that the alleged crime is not termination-worthy. He'll be picked up by another club in a second and the only party harmed will be Saints.

Simon

Juniors
I think sacking him would be the wrong option. Not because he doesn't deserve it but because some other club will pick him up and the Dragons would be the only losers if this happens. A better punishment would be:-

* Rip his old contract up and give him a new one with a few new clauses in there.
* Put him in reserve grade for the first 5 weeks of the season, thereby giving someone else a head start to a 1st grade spot.

If he doesn't agree with the first point then punting him would be the best option as further indiscretions are likely.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
[SIZE=+1]Dragons media release - Wes Naiqama[/SIZE]
Written by: Dragons Media
20/11/2006
LARGE_statue_dragons.jpg

Dragons media release - Wes Naiqama

The St George Illawarra Dragons today confirmed they have been conducting an internal review into recent conduct issues by Wes Naiqama.

The Club will not be making any official comment at this point in time as it is inappropriate until this process is completed.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]WWW.JUBILEEAVENUE.COM.AU[/FONT]

dannyboy said:
You may not like the messenger Preach but it's not her fault that Wes is a menace on the road who cares nought for the law.

Pfft Wes Patten used to ram raid hi fi stores on a Thursday and play for St George on the Saturday, this unlicensed driving is tame stuff.

The Preacher

First Grade
Thankyou FMUTC, this Dannyboy has been smoking pipes instead of listening to them calling I do believe. :shock:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Frank Hyde could teach danny boy a rendition or two.

These kids today are too easily shocked.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Legally I don't think there is a case.

Here's the situation: Filmed getting into car, lowlife photographer says he drove off, obviously Wes is gonna say he didn't.

There is no proof that he drove.

I'm divided as to the punishment if found guilty. One part of me says we can't afford to lose a talent such as him, but the other side says f*ck him, if he can't respect the club trying to help him by driving him what kind of presedent is the club setting (footy player pissing away all they have on stupid sh*t is a pet hate of mine).

Collateral

Coach
I think he'll just cop a fine and maybe a suspension from the club. We have to look at our option though of what we can do to help him out with his problem.

Dave Q

Coach
He's been a great find as a footballer, a genuine talent. We all know he is terribly underated.

As I understand it, he committs an offence if he is in control of a vehicle (he doesnt have to actually drive it) unless a court gave him a specific order about other prohibited in-vehicle conduct. That would be in writing. He would know what that is.

The legislation itself defines serious traffic offences and that might be different from its description as used in the press. If it is the fourth offence he has committed per the legislation, hes in deep deep trouble, he's in way over his head. But I dont think thats the case ( I dont know specifically). I reckon its a press description.

The Police have indicated that they are reasonably confident of a conviction of some kind. The photos dont prove an offence per se but if anyone saw him drive, they are likely to be called as witnesses for the prosecution. The photo's could be exhibits I suppose, then there could be a question of relevency depending on the charge/s.

Journalists have been imprisoned for hiding their sources and witholding evidence. Freedom of the press in our modern society is a myth. You can tell a lawyer anything, but not a journo, nor a priest (father ted excepted of course!).

Now the courts dont like being snubbed, they like to be taken seriously. Thats their job, dish out punishment, discourage re-offending. Nobody is beyond the law as the late Rene Rivkin, politicians and many other footballers have found out.

With his 'form' the way it is, if he is charged and later convicted of a serious offence, he is likely to do some kind of time. Time of the full-time locked up variety. Maybe even up to two years if convicted by a local court-depending upon the charges and his history.

If convicted and then gaoled, he will have a very difficult time. Many a prisoner will be interested in seeing how they shape up against an elite athlete like Wes. Jail can be a violent and brutal place. It also reduces life-choices afterwards as people dont like to be associated with ex-prisoners-even if they were innocent. Judges have recently said that gangs have too much influence in gaol at the moment. Nobody comes out untouched, at least emotionally.

Its not the clubs fault at all, as when it gets down to it, they have absolutley no control over players. Influence yes, but not control. They are right not to comment. There is no need. The consequences are so serious that I think that they shouldnt even have an enquiry. They should leave it all up to the cops. If he is innocent, there is no charge the club itself should lay. No penalty is required.

Generally, we have to accept that many players dont think of the consequences of their actions. They are often easy prey to fame and fortune seekers.

I didnt see him do it, I dont know if he broke the law, so I will reserve my judgement. He has a right to be considerd as innocent until then.

As for the journalist, its been suggested before, who gives a rats about her. Not the footy show blokes anyway.

Already Wes has lost out, now he faces several days of worry and angst until the cops tell him what they want to do, unless they just front up and arrest him and take him away to 'assist with their enquries'.

He must feel very lonely at the moment. People are most likely distancing themselves, he may need to see a trained counsellor (innocent or not). He may even need higher order professional help to help him deal with the situation.

Innocent or guilty, he'd better not waste any time seeing a lawyer.

Quigs

Immortal
Dave Q - is that really you ???

Or did you have a ghost writer ??

Cheers
Quigs

2 True Blues

Coach
The matter will have to be PROVED BEYOND " REASONABLE " DOUBT.

The evidence rests on the DATE the photo's were taken ( can it be proved that the photo's in question were taken after the disqualification date or prior to it ). Dates, landmarks in the background, circumstantial evidence Re witnessess seeing him at a certain place wearing same clothes as in photot ETc !!!

It also STRONGLY relies on his personal honestly, and the honesty of others in the vehicle with him at the time ETC !!! Now if he lies about the incident and comes unstuck well he would definately be in some shart with the club and authorities, whereas if he admits to it, he is also in the shart. Tough situation for him for sure !!

I would say he would be looking at weekend detention at the least, however if he has a GOOD record he may get away with some other form of communtity service.

Not looking good for him either way unfortunately, a 2 to 3 mth term is NOT out of the question either ( at a low security prision such as Silverwater ).

If he does lie, will the occupants ( one being a singer ??? ) risk their own careers by backing up that lie. It would have been easier for him if he was by himself, then it would be his word against a filthy scum reporter !! Instantly giving a REASONABLE DOUBT !!!

Now it would be just a matter of finding some witnessess at the club/restaurant that he had just left ( waiters staff etc ) interview them as to times, clothes worn ETC ( even meals ordered etc ) then the ball of " Wes in the shart " will really gain momentum.

Shame though. I always rated him as a player !!

Collateral

Coach
Just on a side note, all the Sharks fans are tripping over themselves to roll out the welcome mat for him if the Dragons sack him, ala that red headed guy.

Dave Q

Coach
Godz Illa said:
Thanks for posting Dave Q, well done. Wes' entire life is on the brink it seems, and for what?

Thats a really good question.

I will update my commentary tonight given the other interesting posts (and when my ghost mate gets back from his haunting at North Sydney Oval!)

Cheers

Dave Q

Coach
Thanks Father Ted,

There is an inaccuarcy in that report in the Telegraph.

The penalty for driving whilst disqualified is contained in Section 25A of Road Transport ( driver licensing) Act NSW.

For a second or further offence it provides for 12 months gaol (not 3 months as quoted), and/or a $3300 fine and further periods of disqualification.

I got that wrong too, but I wasnt sure of the prospective charges.

Yes, the key witness is the photographer. Yes, the conduct must be placed in time during the period of disqualification as ordered by the court or otherwise in force.

Prosecutor: Permission to approach the witness my lud?
His Honour: Yes
Prosecutor to Photographer: Do you recognise this?
Photographer (witness): Yes, its a photograph I took.
Prosecutor: When did you take it.
Witness: X date
Prosecutor: Where, what time and on what date did you take it?

and so forth...

The police might call Paulini to the stand as well. She might not want to give evidence though. Her memory may not be so good these days, she might not make a very reliable witness.

The photographer seems keen. I wonder why? 15 minutes of fame or just being community minded?

Nobody at Saints should be admitting that they saw him drive, especially those who knew he shouldnt have.

If sme of them are admitting it now, why did they cover for him then?

Why didnt they ring the police to stop him especially if it became clear that he didnt give a rats about the court order he was already subject to?

Surely they dont support disqualified drivers? What comes first- wider community or club? Tough questions for some it seems. I'll be quick to add its not just Saints people who can have these tough times deliberating on ethics. Plenty of other people in other clubs find these matters uncomfortable and distatsteful.

And sometimes some magistrates think that 'beyond reasonable doubt' requires a minimum of proof and is a very easy test to pass. Tough test in theory but not so much in practice.

He remains innocent at this time.