What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

Perth Red

Post Whore
Hearing that WA pulled 152,000 viewers on GEM for SOO. That's as many viewers as tune in to afl on a Friday night on the main channels! Great result.

Stagger Lee

Bench
Firstly I want to make it very clear that I very much doubt that Cronulla will fold anytime soon. But should they (or any other club) fold I agree with HITD, whichever way you look at it Perth is a long term, high risk project that shouldn't be rushed, on the other hand a Brisbane or CC base team is a pretty safe bet.

Perth needs to be done right and rushing it will almost certainly lead to mistakes, on the other hand a Brisbane team has a lot of wiggle room because we know that if it is set up with the right image there will be enough support for it to maintain the club without to much interference from the ARLC.

I agree that we should be taking a low risk approach if a 'need a club in a month scenario' should happen. But would Perth / WA be a risk? I would assume that the state government and some major sponser would be able to underwrite at least 5 years of funding.

Yes there is room (and need) for a second Brisbane team - no doubt. What we need is Smith and the board to have a ready to go option just in case.
I get the impression that WA is more capable of filling this need.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think in an ideal world any new club will have a two year lead in time. Waited 16 years to get a club back so happy to wait a couple more to get it right this time.

gallagher

Juniors
Wow, they're some solid numbers. Good stuff.

Funny isnt it. Previous years in Perth you could go to a pub and watch it live on Imparja, then go home and watch the replay on Fox and then after everyone else had a turn ch 9 would eventually get around to showing it and would get crap ratings. They were baffled as to why!!!!

Then this year they showed it live and to their shock and amazment they get good numbers. I hope someone got a raise over this astonishing discovery.

Perth Red

Post Whore
943547_10201476400290707_350348808_n.jpg

Perth Red

Post Whore
NRL CEO Dave smith has been in Perth for last couple of days viewing our facilities and learning about the game here. Apparently he confirmed that expansion wouldn't be reviewed until end of next year.

Stormwarrior

Juniors
Sooner the better! Smith does seem to be saying 2 different things at times. Maybe he is jockeying to put a team in 2015 but saying 2017 to put other codes plans to shit.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
nah, 2015 couldn't happen. Just think about the time line. Even if they brought the review forward by a year (to this off season) that is just the begining of the review. the earliest i could imagine they would give a responce is mid-2014 (and i doubt they would rush it that much, more likely the next off season we would get an announcement).

if everything was dont in the shortest possible time, for a 2015 start the team would still only have the second half of a season to pick up players. A team in a location like perth is not going to get a good team together in 4 months.

jargan83

Coach
NRL boss Dave Smith says WA is ticking all the boxes as the state pushes to house a rugby league team of its own once expansion is put back on the table at the end of next year.

Smith is in Perth this week for his maiden visit to the city as NRL chief executive ahead of Sunday’s blockbuster between premiership favourites South Sydney and the red-hot New Zealand Warriors at nib Stadium.

A bumper crowd of around 20,000 is expected to be at the clash, continuing the momentum built from Perth-hosted NRL games in the past four years that have attracted attendances of more than 15,000 people.

While Smith reaffirmed the ARL Commission’s viewpoint that expansion won’t be considered until late next year, he said WA was looming as “a strong option” as a potential base for a club.

“I think Western Australia has done a great job, and you can see that the junior base is growing, and that’s always a good sign,” Smith told PerthNow.

“The Origin II figures with people watch on TV (in WA) were just amazing too. So all of the indicators are really strong.

“I’m really supportive and committed to Western Australia – it’s strategically important to us.

“The commission very clearly has said that we won’t consider growth until the end of 2014. There’s a lot of work to do in terms of just making sure we’re operating off a strong base, so we’re concentrating on that (until then).

“I think we’ll be ready around about that time, and quite clearly, Western Australia is a strong option.”

Smith described the upgraded facilities at nib Stadium as “phenomenal” ahead of the Rabbitohs’ meeting with the Warriors this weekend.

The league boss – who yesterday watched junior training at South Perth – also spoke of the importance of the state of the game at grassroots level.

“It’s vital wherever you are, but it’s certainly vital for any team where we choose to either relocate or establish a team,” Smith said.

“I think it’s strong here, and the key indicator is the growth.

“When you’re growing the market share effectively by 14 per cent from 2012, that’s very strong, and I think that shows that there’s a natural interest.

“The WARL guys have done a really good job and punched well above their weight. I think with our development expertise – we’ve put three new development officers on the ground here – we’ll continue to look how we can grow that base, because it’s really important to our game.”

Sunday’s game kicks off at 4.30, with tickets available from Ticketmaster.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/nr...ential-expansion/story-fn7shzfu-1226674867782

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.nrl.com/growth-in-wa-pleases-nrl-boss-smith/tabid/10874/newsid/73312/default.aspx

Growth in WA pleases NRL boss Smith

By Justin Chadwick

AAP

Fri 05th July, 3:03pm

He made his name as a banker, but NRL chief executive Dave Smith will be playing the role of an architect as he attempts to transform rugby league into the mansion of Australia's sporting landscape.

Smith would love nothing more than to grow the tentacles of the NRL by expanding the competition beyond 16 teams.

Western Australia is considered a strong chance to get an NRL club of their own once expansion occurs, while bid teams from Brisbane, Central Coast, Queensland and New Zealand are also keen to join in on the action.

The NRL has put expansion holds on talk until the end of the 2014 season, meaning it's unlikely a new team will be introduced before the current TV rights deal expires in 2017.

Smith, who managed assets worth $50 billion while working for Lloyds International, knows that for the NRL to be a truly national competition, it needs to branch out beyond its traditional strongholds.

But the Welshman says any untapped markets must prove their game is strong at a grass roots level before the NRL would be prepared to take the plunge and invest in a new side.

"It's like building a house - if the walls and floors are strong, you can put a roof on it," Smith told AAP.

"To add a team into the comp is a very significant thing to do. You have to look at the market dynamics, population growth, demographic.

"You've seen lots of examples around Australia where professional sporting clubs struggled to keep the talent.

"There was that initial euphoria, but the foundations weren't strong enough for the ongoing sustainability.

"The game's never been in better shape.

"But I think you have to take those steps very carefully.

"It starts at the grass roots."

Smith's recent travel itinerary is proof the NRL is serious about all levels of rugby league in Australia.

After spending time in Dubbo to watch the NSW country championships, Smith flew to Canberra for the Australian schoolboy championships, before making trips to Queensland and WA to assess the health of the game there.

Smith then jetted off to England on Thursday night for the Festival of World Cups, where Australia's women's outfit - the Jillaroos - will be in action, along with teams competing for the armed forces, police, students, and wheelchair titles.

A crowd in excess of 20,000 is expected to turn out for Sunday's clash between South Sydney and the Warriors at Perth's nib Stadium, showing there is strong support for the game in Perth.

Smith said he had been impressed by the recent growth in WA, which had experienced a 14.9 per cent boost in registered players over the past year, with numbers now up to 3200.

And Although WA's sporting market is dominated by AFL teams West Coast and Fremantle, Smith felt there was good potential for a rugby league team to thrive.

"This would be a new heartland for me," Smith said.

"The fact these guys have grown the game by nearly 15 per cent in one year tells you there's an opportunity for us."

Perth Red

Post Whore
Same old same old. Need to sort out current clubs, lots of potential, not decided yet. Been hearing it for 5 years. Hopefully this time we might see some action.

CQ Italia

Juniors
I would add CQ and WA from 2018. Western Corridor and Bombers both wanted Logan and said they had their local government support but Broncos have put a large Academy there now.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
a CQ team will probably come in with a Darwin team.

Edit: sorry, thats not taking the piss. I mean that they are both likely places but both have the same problem, small population.

Perth Red

Post Whore
South Sydney getting some practice in ahead of tomorrows Perth game. How good is the redeveloped nib stadium looking?

1013773_545750465487919_1112085516_n.jpg

BunniesMan

Immortal
Why is the seating green. Are the Pirates going to have green in their jersey? Their should be some sort of coordination happening there.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why is the seating green. Are the Pirates going to have green in their jersey? Their should be some sort of coordination happening there.

Yeh they are going to spend $100mill to suit a team that might never exist. :crazy:

Neutral colours and lower bowl seating was already green.