What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I was honestly a bit sceptical about the quality of the stadium, but it just looked awesome during the game.

But is should be a condition of getting a perth team that the Gov finish the next stage of the upgrade.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
I was honestly a bit sceptical about the quality of the stadium, but it just looked awesome during the game.

But is should be a condition of getting a perth team that the Gov finish the next stage of the upgrade.

Why?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why should they have to rebuild the west stand before admittance? Capacity is fine, corporate facilities are fine, player and officials facilities are fine, views are excellent. Why would we have to wait for the WA govt to find another $80mill plus before we get a club?

Perth Red

Post Whore
The Rabbitohs have now played five games in Perth and have signed an agreement that will see them play one game a year at nib Stadium until 2016.

Four other clubs – Canterbury, Penrith, Canberra and Melbourne – have shown interest in playing in WA next year.
Tentative discussions have also taken place about staging a Test match between Australia and New Zealand in Perth next year.

WA Rugby League chief executive John Sackson said the intention was to host at least three NRL games next season.
He said the huge crowd was further proof there was a large rugby league supporter base in WA.

“It says that there’s a genuine appetite for rugby league in this city and in this State,” Sackson said.

“It just goes to show that if we give people the opportunity to watch rugby league, they will come.

“We’ve demonstrated that over a number of years now.

“This was the fifth visit of the Rabbitohs and they’ve always posted crowds of over 15,000.”

The NRL is not expected to put expansion back on the agenda until next year with any growth unlikely before the end of the existing television deal in 2017, but the WARL will continue to develop its bid ready for any announcement.

Perth is still a favourite for a new franchise.

WA further strengthened its league credentials by beating NSW Country Bulls 36-30 in the curtain raiser.

Winger Billy Coughlan scored a try in each half for WA, but the result wasn’t confirmed until Matt Doeg crossed for the home side’s sixth try in the dying stages.

“It was a very significant win for our senior team when you consider that the NSW team was selected form 19 different divisions,” Sackson said.

“Our team is selected from maybe 1500 or so senior players, so it’s a significant scalp.

“WA is producing a good caliber of player, which is testament to the West Coast Pirates academy and the dedication of the coaches and development officers within the game.”

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...nrl-leaders-souths-thrill-bumper-perth-crowd/

gallagher

Juniors
the key about souths is they have taken on the mantle as the 'indigenous' club

and Perth has a large indigenous base to draw from, a few years ago, all they watched over there was AFL

Seeing as only about 4% of WA's population are indigenious and that you think NIB Stadium is in East Perth, I'd say you have no clue about who turned up to yesterdays game.

jargan83

Coach
Would need the Heritage listing removed on the current Western stand before they can redevelop that side

I've heard a few rumours that the Town of Vincent is currently trying to do this but it shouldn't be a barrier to Perth getting a side

Perth Red

Post Whore
Would need the Heritage listing removed on the current Western stand before they can redevelop that side

I've heard a few rumours that the Town of Vincent is currently trying to do this but it shouldn't be a barrier to Perth getting a side

It's already a better stadium than half the current NRL grounds! Going to be awesome when the west stand is rebuilt but will be a long time until the wa govt splashes more money on nib when they are about to spend a billion on Perth stadium.

beave

Coach
They should just copy the western stand at wollongong. I think that cost $50mil????

But with better steel in the roof mind you........

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Why should they have to rebuild the west stand before admittance? Capacity is fine, corporate facilities are fine, player and officials facilities are fine, views are excellent. Why would we have to wait for the WA govt to find another $80mill plus before we get a club?

Assuming the WA Government wants an NRL team, the only real bargaining power is for a team to be admitted. Once the have a team they can improve the stadium in their own time (read: at the rate of Brookvale Oval), but if the deal is that they build a better stadium or no team, that might be enough of a kick in the balls.

Look how long it took for the storm to get a good rectangular stadium in Melbourne. When It was getting build the FFA said it had to be 30,000 seats or their teams wouldnt play there and they got it.

You say that the stadium is fine, but youre one of the people that says the sydney teams should play in the best stadiums. Well perth should aslo play in the best stadium.

Perth Red

Post Whore
They've just spent $120million on it! It's not like they aren't showing some committment. They are about to commence building a $1billion 65,000 stadium next. nib is perfectly fine for its two current and hopefully three tennants as is for a few years. If and when we are regularly getting 20,000 crowds then we will have some leverage to get the next phase done. I'd love to see the West stand replaced and a roof over the South and North end like proposed in phase two but to suggest it should be a condition of a Perth NRL teams entry is laughable.

Perth Red

Post Whore
This article was written by Fox Sports RL commentator Matt Russell, after his attendance to the NRL clash Between the Rabbitohs and Warriors last Sunday 7th July at nib Stadium.

“Give us our own team,” a man urged .

You’ve got one, I thought, looking at his out-dated Warriors jersey before realising this Perth resident wanted the colours of a truly West Australian NRL outfit.

Maybe it was my unmarked Fox Sports suit. Maybe it was my hurried walk. For some reason, the young man thought I had a say in giving Perth an NRL team and quickly.

Thankfully I don’t, but for what it’s worth anonymous Warrior, I hope you get your own team and soon.

Before kickoff, NRL Media and Communications GM John Brady proudly showed photos of Souths and the Warriors training in front of thousands of fans. Yes, only training.

Then the game attracted more than 20,000 – the biggest crowd the renovated ground has had. A Warriors chant at one stage rivaled the famous ‘Parra, Parra’ in Sydney’s West. Much further West, there was also a lot of love for Souths as WA raised Bryson Goodwin scored two tries to ensure another South Sydney win.

These teams were a total of 8,845 kilometers from home but it was as if both were in their own backyard.

The joint rocked. The game delivered. Everyone seemed happy.

Especially John Sackson, the West Australian Rugby League CEO, who proudly showed Gary Belcher and myself the new-look nib Stadium. “New grandstand here, corporate areas there, an upgrade to that part, two new big screens, great isn’t it,” he enthused.

It’s the perfect hub for rugby league in the West, which has three competitions already – in Perth, the Kimberley and Pilbara. It has an Under 18 team in the SG Ball competition, which has pushed 14 players in the National Youth League. There’s been 14% growth across all competitions in the past 12 months. The passionate Sackson has plenty more facts and figures to underline the game’s potential in a city that already has teams in national competitions for Aussie Rules, Super Rugby, Football, Cricket, Netball, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey and more.

As we leave Perth on Monday morning, out statistician Aaron ‘Wally’ Wallace remarks, “Who said the mining boom is over!” The airport is full of the ‘high-vis’ uniforms worn by fly-in-fly-out workers.

The NRL has been flying in and out for years. The platform is laid.

One of Wally’s more random stats for the Souths-Warriors game was that Perth is home to more self-made millionaires per capita than any city in the world.

Now it’s time for the NRL to cash in.

http://warugbyleague.com.au/fox-sports-commentator-matt-russell-impressed-with-the-west/

Latest posts