What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

Isnt it curious that some who follow league might baulk at buying Pirates merchndise when they bag other existing RL clubs. Support for you PR has taken a hit of late.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Perth was fortunate to witness a blockbuster NRL clash between New Zealand and Manly last year, with the Sea Eagles scoring a come-from-behind win at the death in front of more than 20,000 people.

NRL in Perth

987243-nrl-in-perth.jpg

WARL chief John Sackson, Rabbitohs player Beau Champion and nib Stadium boss Peter Bauchop. Picture: Justin Benson-CooperSource: PerthNow

It was another positive step for rugby league in Western Australia, which is hopeful of entering a team -- the West Coast Pirates -- in the national league in the coming years.
WA Rugby League chief executive John Sackson said Perth was busy preparing a bid he hoped would be “irresistible” to the game’s governing body.
“The NRL have put expansion on the backburner, I guess is the best way to put it, but we know it’s certainly a big part of the future,” he said.
“From our point of view, we are going to continue developing the game at grassroots level and continue to earn more respect for the code. The NRL games that come into Perth are going to feed that appetite that is growing here for rugby league.
“The bid is still being developed and the intention is there that when we are officially invited to put forward our credentials, we want to be in a position where it will be an irresistible bid.
“We do know that Perth is considered strongly a favourite for a franchise when the NRL do choose to expand and we’re certainly encouraged by that and determined to make the most of that opportunity.”

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/nr...k-match-in-perth/story-fn7siakm-1226661988119

Perth Red

Post Whore
From our logo designer:

West Coast Pirates: WA actually has a pirate history, and a good one, which was why we chose Pirates. Plus I also I told them I am not going to draw another kangaroo, especially one with a hat on its head. Reds was done and dusted, all over red rover. They are still part of the history of WARL and will hopefully be used when the retro comes up. Oh yeah, why ‘West Coast’? I really pushed that. Coast! Pirates! They go together.

A WA rugby league team has a very hard task to get recognition in a super strong AFL area, so I said if we are going to go out and brand a league team in AFL territory lets make them look badass so that they hold a very strong presence in that market with fans and sponsors.

You will really see some clever things from the West Coast Pirates. John Sackson and the guys over there are very easy to work with. Pirates will be a good brand.

http://sportsbusinessinsider.com.au/blogs-features/brand-sport/profile-john-gearman/

Dragonwest

Juniors
Just an interesting thought for anyone that was keen on the Sage backed bid (might be wasting my breath):

The Perth Glory are going into the next season with NO strength and conditioning department, happy to leave it to the coach ..... how professional.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Just an interesting thought for anyone that was keen on the Sage backed bid (might be wasting my breath):

The Perth Glory are going into the next season with NO strength and conditioning department, happy to leave it to the coach ..... how professional.

Not surprised, Sage has taken from Glory from the top club in the country to a basketcase. They lose $1mill a year+ yet Sage reckons he has all these mining mates ready to bankroll an NRL club. The guys a joke in Perth.

Perth Red

Post Whore
More NRL for Perth as Rabbitohs blaze a trail
South Sydney's clash with the Warriors at nib Stadium next month will be the springboard for more NRL games in Perth.
Tentative discussions have also taken place about staging a Test match between Australia and New Zealand in Perth next year.
WARL chief executive John Sackson said the intention was to host at least three NRL games next season.
"Negotiations are well and truly under way with high-profile clubs in addition to the Rabbitohs," Sackson said.
"They are being encouraged to do so by the NRL who are definitely on the front foot to get more games over here to help increase the footprint and generally develop the code in a more aggressive fashion."
Nib Stadium chief executive Peter Bauchop said the Rabbitohs had paved the way for others.
"We've been in discussions with the NRL and some other high- profile clubs to bring a significantly increased amount of NRL here next year," he said.
NRL chief executive David Smith will visit Perth for the first time in his new role in the lead-up to the July 7 Rabbitohs game.
He will meet State Government officials and local rugby league stakeholders.
The NRL is not expected to put expansion back on the agenda until next year with any growth unlikely before 2017, but Sackson said the WARL would continue to develop its bid ready for any announcement. Perth is still a favourite for a new franchise.
"Expansion is still a big part of the future. We will continue to develop the game at grassroots level," Sackson said.
"The NRL games that are coming to town are going to help feed that appetite."

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...ore-nrl-for-perth-as-rabbitohs-blaze-a-trail/

Stagger Lee

Bench
NRL chief executive David Smith will visit Perth for the first time in his new role in the lead-up to the July 7 Rabbitohs game.
He will meet State Government officials and local rugby league stakeholders.
The NRL is not expected to put expansion back on the agenda until next year with any growth unlikely before 2017, but Sackson said the WARL would continue to develop its bid ready for any announcement. Perth is still a favourite for a new franchise.

*bear in mind the following post is not meant to be a troll post*

David Smith and the NRL if they were being professional would be making 'secret' talks with the WA govt and WC Pirates about the ability to form a team within a very short notice period (months). The doping scandal involving the Sharks may end up as a worse case scenario with the Cronulla club being forced to sit out next year. TV rights / schedules / commitments would not allow a team to be missing for a year.

These talks would obviously have to be in good faith and none committal based but I do hope they are taking place. The pain and shock of losing a Sydney based club would be immense but to have an advanced bid ready to step in would help ease a lot of that angst and the inevitable code in crisis hysteria.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
nah, perth shouldnt be the rush job for expansion. If cronulla fold (which they won't, they are fccking cockroaches) they should be replaced by brisbane or central coast, one of the easier places.

The Great Dane

First Grade
*bear in mind the following post is not meant to be a troll post*

David Smith and the NRL if they were being professional would be making 'secret' talks with the WA govt and WC Pirates about the ability to form a team within a very short notice period (months). The doping scandal involving the Sharks may end up as a worse case scenario with the Cronulla club being forced to sit out next year. TV rights / schedules / commitments would not allow a team to be missing for a year.

These talks would obviously have to be in good faith and none committal based but I do hope they are taking place. The pain and shock of losing a Sydney based club would be immense but to have an advanced bid ready to step in would help ease a lot of that angst and the inevitable code in crisis hysteria.

nah, perth shouldnt be the rush job for expansion. If cronulla fold (which they won't, they are fccking cockroaches) they should be replaced by brisbane or central coast, one of the easier places.

Firstly I want to make it very clear that I very much doubt that Cronulla will fold anytime soon. But should they (or any other club) fold I agree with HITD, whichever way you look at it Perth is a long term, high risk project that shouldn't be rushed, on the other hand a Brisbane or CC base team is a pretty safe bet.

Perth needs to be done right and rushing it will almost certainly lead to mistakes, on the other hand a Brisbane team has a lot of wiggle room because we know that if it is set up with the right image there will be enough support for it to maintain the club without to much interference from the ARLC.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Firstly I want to make it very clear that I very much doubt that Cronulla will fold anytime soon. But should they (or any other club) fold I agree with HITD, whichever way you look at it Perth is a long term, high risk project that shouldn't be rushed, on the other hand a Brisbane or CC base team is a pretty safe bet.

Perth needs to be done right and rushing it will almost certainly lead to mistakes, on the other hand a Brisbane team has a lot of wiggle room because we know that if it is set up with the right image there will be enough support for it to maintain the club without to much interference from the ARLC.

^ what he said.

Tom Shines

First Grade
From our logo designer:

West Coast Pirates: WA actually has a pirate history, and a good one, which was why we chose Pirates. Plus I also I told them I am not going to draw another kangaroo, especially one with a hat on its head. Reds was done and dusted, all over red rover. They are still part of the history of WARL and will hopefully be used when the retro comes up. Oh yeah, why ?West Coast?? I really pushed that. Coast! Pirates! They go together.

A WA rugby league team has a very hard task to get recognition in a super strong AFL area, so I said if we are going to go out and brand a league team in AFL territory lets make them look badass so that they hold a very strong presence in that market with fans and sponsors.

You will really see some clever things from the West Coast Pirates. John Sackson and the guys over there are very easy to work with. Pirates will be a good brand.

http://sportsbusinessinsider.com.au/blogs-features/brand-sport/profile-john-gearman/

The same knob that's responsible for the Penrith/Titans/Eels/Raiders abortions?

We need less of him in our game, not more.

sheepbender

Juniors
Is anyone at all close to the club, Ive tweeted them several times asking when more Adults jerseys will be in stock, but I never get a reply. The first time I was told, that theyd have some in March, I looked, and nothing had changed. Pretty keen to get a jersey, but theyre not very helpful

Perth Red

Post Whore
Is anyone at all close to the club, Ive tweeted them several times asking when more Adults jerseys will be in stock, but I never get a reply. The first time I was told, that theyd have some in March, I looked, and nothing had changed. Pretty keen to get a jersey, but theyre not very helpful

I'll see if I can find out for you, doubt though we will get any more in until next years sg ball kit is agreed.