What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

Perth Red

Post Whore
Dane I know Richard (chairman) from running the supporters group. He is a very decent bloke who has volunteered years of work to help RL grow here, the board are appointed by the clubs. I don't know it won't be better but I do remember a very similar situation arising in 1996 that destroyed the game for over a decade here. Will the NRL want to take over the nswrl, qrl,crl,ntrl, virl, tasrl,sarl as well?

Will be interesting to see who will run warl with no board? Where will the governance come from?

The Great Dane

First Grade
Dane I know Richard (chairman) from running the supporters group. He is a very decent bloke who has volunteered years of work to help RL grow here, the board are appointed by the clubs. I don't know it won't be better but I do remember a very similar situation arising in 1996 that destroyed the game for over a decade here.

In this case I don't think that history is repeating it's self, the State leagues have always been on quite a loose leash basically being able to push their leagues in whatever direction they see fit without having to worry about the game as a whole, so it's not that surprising that the NRL is looking to tighten that leash and push all the state leagues in the same direction.

It sounds to me like they are trying to force out the amateurs and volunteers and are looking to try and replace them with experienced professionals, which is always a messy process but (normally) worth it in the long run.

Will the NRL want to take over the nswrl, qrl,crl,ntrl, virl, tasrl,sarl as well?

They've definitely made moves to make sure that the NSWRL and QRL (and obviously the WARL now) are more under their control, and I would be seriously surprised if they haven't already taken more control of some of the others and are looking to do the same to the rest, so yeah it looks like they are trying to pull all the state leagues under their roof, but I don't find that surprising at all it needed to happen to make sure that they worked together better and with the NRL better to help grow the game nationally.

Now instead of each state league being out on their own and sometimes competing with each other they'll be able to more easily correspond with each other and work together to grow the game nationally.

Will be interesting to see who will run warl with no board? Where will the governance come from?

Probably a new board made up of people that the NRL think are the best available for the job. It'll be very interesting to see who that is.

Western_Eel

Juniors
I agree, There is a massive difference between SL and the NRL, The NRL actually want to do good for the game.
I think the game will grow more with the NRL taking over and employing full time people to run it

The Great Dane

First Grade
I agree, There is a massive difference between SL and the NRL, The NRL actually want to do good for the game.
I think the game will grow more with the NRL taking over and employing full time people to run it

I'm sure many of the people involved with Superleague thought they were doing what was in the best interests of the game also, hindsight is a marvelous thing.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Hopefully with the NRL taking over RL in WA they will give some funding to the SG ball and elite academy systems and secure their long term futures.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Fresh start for WARL as new board gets to work
The WA Rugby League has appointed an interim board after the previous directors resigned en masse following a bitter row with the National Rugby League.
But the new board will hold its positions only until the NRL receives a report commissioned 10 months ago on the governance of the game across Australia.
It is expected the report, to be tabled when the NRL Commission meets early next year, will recommend at least one NRL- appointed representative sits on the WA board.
At the time of his resignation, former WARL chairman Richard Campbell accused the NRL of destroying 65 years of rugby league management in WA and using "Big Brother" tactics by threatening to disaffiliate the WARL and withdraw funding.
Campbell said his board wanted to appoint its own general manager to run the game. Chief executive John Sackson is employed by the NRL and does not report directly to the board.
New WARL chairman Ian Kennedy, general manager of Redwave Media, said the interim board was keen to work with the NRL and other stakeholders.
The new directors are Bruce Greenwood, the co-president of South Perth Rugby League Club, former State and ARL-grade referee Rod Fielding, ex-WARL director Mark Street and North Beach Rugby League Club president Dale Lofts.
"The first formal board meeting was conducted on Wednesday with unanimous support to move forward as smoothly as possible with all parties to benefit rugby league in Western Australia," Kennedy said.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/20415833/fresh-start-for-warl-as-new-board-gets-to-work/

Perth Red

Post Whore
Our unofficial supporters group got its 600th member joining today. Now all we need is a team!

1524994_10202909644400914_2083926276_n.jpg

Perth Red

Post Whore
Our West Coast Pirates U16's academy is currently in Sydney visiting NRL clubs and learning from RL greats such as Steve Mortimer. They kicked off the tour with a win over the Manly SeaEagles Jnrs 34-24 and produced an incredible result today beating the Mascot Jnrs 50-6! To put this into perspective Mascot club have been around since 1910, WC Academy since 2010, Mascot have 34 jnr teams in their club, WC academy draw from 13, Mascot are one of the strongest Jnr clubs in the world playing in the renowned Souths Jnr competition.

Shows just how good the WARL jnr development programme is working.

Head over to the Pirates Facebook page for photos and videos of the tour so far:
https://www.facebook.com/WARLPirates

Good for the WA boys to have a tour but they didn't really play anybody of note. Yes Mascot have 34 junior teams but they are a club side and Manly have one of the weakest competitions in NSW please don't start me on SWAS (Western Suburbs left overs). But as you said WA have to start from somewhere just don't blow it out of proportion. Every season most NSW sides put their academy teams into a knock out carnival on the Central Coast. Parramatta, Manly, Penrith, Balmain, Newcastle virtually everybody is represented it would be good to see WA participate in that.

Mr_Ugly

Juniors
I'm sure many of the people involved with Superleague thought they were doing what was in the best interests of the game also, hindsight is a marvelous thing.

No one associated with superleague thought what they were doing was in the best interests of the game.

I'm old enough to remember that this was as clear then as it is now.

The Great Dane

First Grade
No one associated with superleague thought what they were doing was in the best interests of the game.

I'm old enough to remember that this was as clear then as it is now.

I don't deal in absolutes, unless I can prove them!

BTW I'm also old enough to remember the Superleague.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Superleague sounded great in theory, game going full time in England, France and Fiji, world competitions, greater national competition. On the surface it looked like rugby league was finally going to have the resources to break out of its small town mentality.

Sadly the sales pitch and the reality turned out to be quite different things.

TheRam

Coach
Superleague sounded great in theory, game going full time in England, France and Fiji, world competitions, greater national competition. On the surface it looked like rugby league was finally going to have the resources to break out of its small town mentality.

Sadly the sales pitch and the reality turned out to be quite different things.

No one of basic human intelligence believe a word of it.

andrew057

First Grade
Just wanted to mention again how great the Pirates name is. At first I was a little bit disappointed they didnt go with Reds, but Pirates really has grown on me.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Who doesn't like to dress up like a Pirate? :)
Yes the merchandise sales are going to be through the roof and the game day event package theming could be awesome if they get it right.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Ryan backs Perth NRL team
Former Kangaroo forward Andrew Ryan believes Australia has enough talent coming through junior ranks to sustain an expanded National Rugby League competition.

Ryan, a NSW State of Origin representative who had nine seasons with Canterbury, also said an expanded competition could help stop the player drain to the English Super League.

Ryan, now an NRL ambassador after hanging up his boots in 2011, is in Perth as part of the sport's community carnival and "tackle bullying" program and to promote the two NRL games at nib Stadium this year. The Bulldogs clash with Melbourne on Saturday, March 29 and South Sydney tackle the Warriors in June.

NRL boss Dave Smith has said expanding the 16-team competition is on the agenda for the end of this season however it is unlikely to take place until the current broadcasting deal runs out in three years.

Ryan, who with three other ambassadors, former players Ben Ross, Matt Cooper and Scott Prince, will take the NRL program to 5000 Perth schoolchildren this week, said the city would be an ideal place for its own expansion side.

"In my opinion, if they are looking to expand the competition it would be great to have a team playing out of here," Ryan said.

"There is a big supporter base and the live TV spot is obviously a feature. I think it would work very well. Often people speak about how many teams are in Sydney but I'm not sure what the locals would be like here with a relocated team.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/21826221/ryan-backs-perth-nrl-team/