What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Random side note....

Whichever perth team comes in absolutely needs to stay away from a V on their jerseys. It works for some teams (Dragons, Bulldogs, Roosters) because they have alot of history with it.

BUT with a lot of teams, it has become the cliche go-to design (Raiders, Manly, Titans, Cowboys).

A new Perth team should come up with something relatively original and build off that; even if its as simple as ripping off another team (Souths bandages, Knights stripes, ect.)

Just do something that isn totally generic and predictable.....

RUG13Y

Juniors
Random side note....

Whichever perth team comes in absolutely needs to stay away from a V on their jerseys. It works for some teams (Dragons, Bulldogs, Roosters) because they have alot of history with it.

BUT with a lot of teams, it has become the cliche go-to design (Raiders, Manly, Titans, Cowboys).

A new Perth team should come up with something relatively original and build off that; even if its as simple as ripping off another team (Souths bandages, Knights stripes, ect.)

Just do something that isn totally generic and predictable.....

I agree, avoid the chevron

Perth Red

Post Whore
Disagree, nothing says RL jersey like a double chevron. Home jersey Black with gold chevrons for me, alternate crimson red with black chevrons.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Disagree, nothing says RL jersey like a double chevron. Home jersey Black with gold chevrons for me, alternate crimson red with black chevrons.

Thats kind of the problem i have with it; it has become the NRL cliche...

- Traditionally speaking, we have the Dragons, Bulldogs, Roosters and Tigers + almost every international team.

- Of the teams that have little to no tradition with a V but did it anyway we have Souths, Cowboys, Raiders, Titans and Sea Eagles.

- Plus the Knights, Warriors and Storm have V jerseys (its just debatable which catagory theyd fit into)

If a team wants a new design and theyre out of ideas, "let's just do a V..."

Now the Perth team is coming in with a total clean slate to work with, i feel like it would be better to create a unique identity; there are so many other great designs, the V is just half-assed at this point...

dimitri

First Grade
Possible alternate or heritage jersey idea would be similar to he old striped Waikato jersey

mzcUczuakTJaOxfXlTs3_Xw.jpg

Perth Red

Post Whore
EeEek, we aren't a super15 club!

PNG has had some nice jerseys that would make good Pirates jerseys, I hope we keep to the theme and have jerseys that represent the Pirate brand and keep a focus on red,black and gold as our brand colours.

RUG13Y

Juniors
I dont think clubs should be mirroring National jerseys. I hate seeing clubs copy the Kangaroos jerseys.

dimitri

First Grade
EeEek, we aren't a super15 club!

PNG has had some nice jerseys that would make good Pirates jerseys, I hope we keep to the theme and have jerseys that represent the Pirate brand and keep a focus on red,black and gold as our brand colours.

the super 15 team doesnt wear that jersey

they wear these ones i think

images

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Id like to see this, done in Pirates colours...

I think it has an 18th Century Navy feel (which would have to be the era they are going for, modern Somali pirates probably dont sell as well)

Maybe not for their Main, but it would work at least as a 9s jersey...

Perth Red

Post Whore
TBf at least this mob have been clear and said it will be reviewed end of 2014. Now the hope is that review will give a clear plan, timeline and just as importantly a whole of game approach to expansion. By that I mean better funding and support for all affiliated states to grow Jnr and grass roots RL, a comprehensive NRL games on the road strategy to ensure NRL is well represented in every S&T and of course NRL club expansion plan. Also TV coverage, including other states as venue for the next world cup and indication of a PI plan.

Now that would be good to see!

byrner

Juniors
I am with you PR. A detailed plan is all I want to see. A direction for the game to go. And I think this CEO and ARLC are just the people to do it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
North Queensland Cowboys Perth product Curtis Rona strengthens West Coast Pirates NRL expansion case

PROUD Perth product Curtis Rona is hoping his Cowboys breakthrough proves another boost to Western Australia’s push for admittance to the National Rugby League.

Rona created history with his North Queensland first grade debut on Friday night.

While West Australians have cracked the NRL before, the big back was the first Perth junior to graduate from the state’s SG Ball team — a nationwide under-18 competition.

The West Coast Pirates want to be in an expanded NRL when it is explored at the end of 2015.

“I’m hoping and praying that WA do get a team in the next few years because I know that when they do, the whole state will get behind them and I believe it will happen,” he said.

“A few guys that I played with in SG Ball … are putting their hands up, knocking on the NRL door and waiting for an opportunity at all these different clubs.

“I’m just hoping the NRL responds and see that there is a future over in WA.”

Western Australia Rugby League chief executive John Sackson could not have been more proud of Rona’s debut and believes the Pirates’ case is getting stronger by the year.

The 21-year-old Joondalup Giants junior is one of 15 players to be contracted by NRL clubs’ National Youth Competition teams since West Coast were admitted to SG Ball in 2010.

“It’s a pretty good strike rate,” Sackson said.

“We’re so delighted with Curtis — a true home grown product. He was born in NZ but came across as a legitimate junior ... starred in SG Ball and attracted the interest of five NRL clubs.

“We’re proud of the quality of rugby league being played in WA and this does (strengthen our case).”

The growth of rugby league participation numbers in WA was also the best in Australia in 2013 — up 19.3 per cent on the previous year, while Sackson predicted a similar result this season.

Sackson said there are 3260 registered players in the state.

“We have our sights on one day having an NRL franchise based out of Perth and I don’t think anything would accelerate the growth more than having an NRL franchise here,” he said.

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.a...l-expansion-case/story-fnjfzr2z-1226891914857