What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

Perth Red

Post Whore
Good result. Some AFL games on live in prime time get less than 150k in WA. Considering it was on at a time here when most people are still driving home (me included) and on a digital channel not on Ch9 those are decent figures.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Some of the designs suggested so far

1002552_10202348738618620_1168315043_n.jpg

It's a great colour combination, but again id hate to see them go with the easy option and design another V jersey...

Id much rather see something like this...

c89c2dceed55b58bc14093b62853be3f.png

or this...

afad00ccbe3a2b121060ef372289d3d8.png

Flapper

First Grade
I probably like the ones modeled on the Castleford jersey best, but still prefer the red with the black and grey V of the WA Reds.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Stripes like that are far too classic rugby union looking for me. Even all black with a dash of red and gold and sublimated skull and cross bones would do me.

That probiz black jersey with red and gold thick v is my fave. Unique in NRL and tips a nod to the old western reds colours. The red then works as a good alternate but we 'd only need to wear it when we played Penrith.

Last edited:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Oooh, thye should do this...

(but black instead of green, obviously. and keep the Trapezoid instead of the full V)

474106475_19h7ve6-19h7vf2.jpg

You get your classic RL "V" look, but its not just an outright copy of every other RL jersey.

Last edited:

Hoofhearted

Juniors
However, money isn't the only incentive and Kind said the NRL would consider taking Origin anywhere it believed would help grow the game, with Perth a strong possibility in 2021 if the city gets its own team before then.
"In the future that neutral match is designed to be played in growth areas and the new 60,000 Perth stadium comes on line in 2018
and you have obviously got Eden Park [in Auckland]," Kind said.

From the SMH, bring it on!!!

Dogs Of War

Coach
However, money isn't the only incentive and Kind said the NRL would consider taking Origin anywhere it believed would help grow the game, with Perth a strong possibility in 2021 if the city gets its own team before then.
"In the future that neutral match is designed to be played in growth areas and the new 60,000 Perth stadium comes on line in 2018
and you have obviously got Eden Park [in Auckland]," Kind said.

From the SMH, bring it on!!!

Honestly you would prefer to have the origin game on the year before a Perth side was admitted so that first season has heaps of momentum, and special offers can be done such as membership+ticket packages etc. Even just getting the names and contact details of those that buy tickets would assist in working out a bit about those interested in the game.

Hoofhearted

Juniors
That would be great in a perfect world, but the fact is there is no chance of an Origin game coming to Perth until we have a new stadium. Subiaco makes the SFS look high tech, it still has wooden bench seats in some sections and only holds just over 40k.

Plenty of opportunities for marketing in the meantme, the Bunnies games are usually close to a sellout. I would have thought they would be looking at other options though, with the Pommie and Kiwi population over here you would think an Eng v NZ Four Nations game at NIB would be good, you would easily get 20k+ which is pretty much the size crowds these teams get anywhere else (including the UK)

Perth Red

Post Whore
Richo backs Perth joining the NRL and commits to two more years of souths games in WA.

"The people of Perth, right from the word go, accepted us and the game."

Richardson, who has been in charge at the Rabbitohs for 10 years, has been a strong supporter of Perth entering an expanded NRL competition but says the WA Rugby League must be patient.

Expansion talks will be back on the table after the 2014 season.

"There's no question in my mind that Perth is the place to expand but it was never going to be a short-term turnaround," Richardson said.

"When we first started going over Perth was 1000-1 but now when anyone talks about expansion sides they talk about Perth and south-east Queensland.

"I've got no doubt it is going to happen but it's just the timing."

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/24161242/rabbitohs-return-to-wa/

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Gees lets go to Perth and Sth East Qld, um, didn't we do that in 1995, these clubs would be celebrating their 20th year this year.

What about origin at the MCG, again we did that in 1994.

Flapper

First Grade
It's completely different then and now. A new Perth team won't be lumbered with traveling costs for their visitors, a new Perth team will have the benefit of a city full of new arrivals from interstate, a new Perth team won't be sabotaged by Super League.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Only a idiot would compare Perth 1995 to the city it has become today, or consider the events that led to the demise of clubs in the nineties has any bearing on the potential success of clubs today.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nib stadium crowd record broken for second year in a row. If tonight doesn't convince the NRL Perth is ready for a team nothing will!

Only a idiot would compare Perth 1995 to the city it has become today, or consider the events that led to the demise of clubs in the nineties has any bearing on the potential success of clubs today.

Speaking of that I was having a conversation with Ross Lewis ( online sports editor of the west Australian) on twitter last night and this morning.

Ross was convinced nothing had changed and an NRL team in Perth would be a failure.

He had a massive chip on his shoulder about someone that wasn't from Perth making any statement about the city.

Came across as an AFL sycophant.

He had no clue that there has been players from WA actually play first grade rugby league.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not surprised, the afl lovers can see the potential for the NRL in Perth and are not happy! There is a couple of reporters at the West that are RL fans and do their best but up against a parochial newspaper. The other thing with the west is they give good coverage to sports with a team here but tend to ignore any code without a team. Union got equal zero coverage until the Force came in but now it gets some decent coverage.

Perth red
how many members you think the pirates will get first year and how big the membership can get in time. Also, what teams should come to Perth to maximize attendance, I'm thinking souths, warriors, broncos, storm and bulldogs are a must annually. What would be the preferred timeslot to maximize attendance.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
They will play every home game at 1930 (Perth time) on Saturday night. That gives three live games on Super Saturday on Fox.

TV figures are more important than crowds, at least to the NRL.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
No arguments from me. I live in Perth and have Foxtel purely so I can watch the Eels play.

Plus all the shit my wife watches.