What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

docbrown

Coach
They will play every home game at 1930 (Perth time) on Saturday night. That gives three live games on Super Saturday on Fox.

Except Fox don't want the last game to finish late any more because of audience fatigue.

The time slots will be different come the next negotiation round.

papabear

Juniors
replace Monday night footy with sunday night footy.

have perth play a 2.30 game in the afternoon thats here at 6.30

good all around for rugby league.

I think if they let perth in they should also give them an origin match in their first year just to give them that hit of momentum.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Perth red
how many members you think the pirates will get first year and how big the membership can get in time. Also, what teams should come to Perth to maximize attendance, I'm thinking souths, warriors, broncos, storm and bulldogs are a must annually. What would be the preferred timeslot to maximize attendance.

They are targetting 14k members year one with a 16k avg crowd. I think with a strong membership culture in Perth it is very achievable as long as they don't charge silly money.

If they run the club really well I can see a membership base of 18-20k in years to come. We may even get to a point where membership equals ground capacity. Western force and Aru will be cracking it that we get a NRL team as they will get slammed at jnr participation and force crowds IMO.

In terms of best drawing clubs; warriors, broncos, souths, bulldogs, storm, cowboys, eels, wests would be the big games with 17kplus crowds.

Preferred time slot either 5:30 or 7:30 Saturday nights or 5:30 Sunday would be best for us and give a great live TV slot to the east coast.

Perth Red

Post Whore
replace Monday night footy with sunday night footy.

have perth play a 2.30 game in the afternoon thats here at 6.30

good all around for rugby league.

I think if they let perth in they should also give them an origin match in their first year just to give them that hit of momentum.

Perth time difference is 3 hours early season and 2 hours for majority of rounds.

Ideally you could have Saturday 3pm 5:30pm 7:30pm. The 7:30pm could be live 5:30pm in WA for our home games. Or 4pm Sunday which would give fox a live 6pm game which would rate well and be family friendly for fans.

Cowboys and best draw is rare words I see. For history sake first game should be against st george when admitted with reds defeat of st george in 95.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Another Ground Record in Perth

For the second consecutive year, the South Sydney Rabbitohs have played in front of a new ground record crowd against the New Zealand Warriors at nib Stadium in Perth.

An official attendance of 20,267, comprising of both local Members and supporters as well as the Rabbitohs dedicated travelling contingent have helped bring the NRL back to Western Australia in round 13 at what is one of the game’s best boutique grounds to watch all the action live.

The South Sydney Rabbitohs would like to thank each and every Member of the Rabbitohs Family, nib Stadium, the WARL and the people of Perth for showing up in numbers tonight at the Club’s home away from home.

http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2014/06/07/another_ground_record_in_perth.html

jargan83

Coach
On the game times the Pirates could play at 1pm or 2pm on a Sunday on 9 and be shown live into the east coast and that would lead into the news.

Speaking of that I was having a conversation with Ross Lewis ( online sports editor of the west Australian) on twitter last night and this morning.

Ross was convinced nothing had changed and an NRL team in Perth would be a failure.

He had a massive chip on his shoulder about someone that wasn't from Perth making any statement about the city.

Came across as an AFL sycophant.

He had no clue that there has been players from WA actually play first grade rugby league.

The West Australian is full of AFL fan boys unfortunately with many other sports being neglected or given fairly minimum coverage. Even for AFL news that is mundane and of no consequence.

The attitude regarding people not from Perth is also fairly common over here.

Perth Red

Post Whore
10369219_10204050957933039_5556356968099112319_n.jpg

Perth Red

Post Whore
Red turned ref likes Perth's NRL chances

Rodwell, who played through the Super League war and the Reds' demise, believes Perth deserves a new NRL side.

"Perth is ready for it. They can handle it, there is still a vibe," he said. "The one thing that annoys me and gets me really fired up is when people suggest that the Reds was a failure. It wasn't.

"We had good home crowds despite playing at the WACA which was not a great ground to watch rugby league and whilst our success was mixed, we had a strong core following and that would have grown had we continued.

"All the players loved the place and were disappointed that we had to go. We had a pretty good first year, the next couple of years were a bit dry, but it was a very volatile, tumultuous time in the game.

"We never got off the ground initially in '96, we went into Super League, there were injunctions and there was the turmoil behind the scenes.

"Anything that could have gone wrong did go wrong."

The Rabbitohs showed their fighting qualities on Saturday night, coming from behind to win 34-18 in front of a record 20,267 people - the biggest crowd since the venue was made rectangular.

WA Rugby League chief executive John Sackson said it was a boost for the game in Perth.

"That is a reward for the hard work and investment by the WARL, the Rabbitohs and all involved," he said.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/s...4824/red-turned-ref-likes-perths-nrl-chances/

Perth Red

Post Whore
SOO viewing in Perth

Avg 121k, peak 154k. Biggest audience ever.

Imagine when we get a team and the game actually has a presence here! How people can say Perth adds no value to next TV deal is beyond me.

dimitri

First Grade
There is an article in this weeks Big League about expansion.

Mostly positive things for all areas, especially Perth.

When it comes to listing out the strengths and weaknesses for each, for the pirates, the weakness starts with:

"..The failure of their previous incarnation the Western Reds.."

Again this was bl00dy 20 years ago, let us also be reminded that the brisbane 'expansion' bid at that time also 'failed'

:crazy:

On the positive side, junior participation has grown 19%, Friday Night footy viewing figures up 249% and State of Origin viewing up 71%

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'll have to buy it for a change! I expect as we get towards the end of the season we will see more and more expansion talk again as the NRL gets ready for the "official review". Now that the warl is being run b the NRL I doubt we will see sackson speaking out or much from the Perth bid as effectively the NRL will be in control of the Pirates bid and we are in or not and they will have already decided.

El Diablo

Post Whore
https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/24278619/viewers-boost-case-for-local-nrl-team/

Viewers boost case for local NRL team

Nick Taylor The West Australian June 20, 2014, 3:00 am

WA Rugby League has reignited the push for a team in an expanded National Rugby League competition.

The move comes after a record 121,000 WA viewers watched NSW beat Queensland 6-4 in the second State of Origin match on Wednesday night - the fourth highest watched program that night.

It also comes two weeks after a record 20,267 crowd packed nib Stadium to watch South Sydney Rabbitohs produce a 34-18 come-from- behind win over the New Zealand Warriors. Expansion is unlikely before 2018 when a new television deal is struck but there could be an earlier opening if a struggling NRL club founders.

WARL chief executive John Sackson said there was an increasing passion and commitment to the game, with a 19.3 per cent rise in participation last year - the biggest increase in any State.

"There are keys areas of growth that are factual, that are real and are very hard for people to ignore," Mr Sackson said. "The NRL is well aware of the positive and undeniable signs of growth in WA and is mindful that it is a top-priority market for game development.

"It is important for the WARL to keep ticking the key boxes in terms of its appeal as a future franchise contender because we will be discussed at length later this year when the NRL plans the future of the code."

Talks on bringing a Test match to Perth began last year and NRL head of football Todd Greenberg said Perth could host World Cup matches in 2017. The Rabbitohs have played in Perth over the past six years and have agreed to play two more matches at nib Stadium in the next two seasons.

The Bulldogs plan to bring another fixture west and other teams are considering games in Perth.

Running a NRL team costs $20 million a year and the WARL invested heavily in an expansion campaign and the launch of the West Coast Pirates brand two years ago.

But hopes of joining the competition were dashed after the NRL said there would be no expansion review until the end of this season.

Australian Rugby League Commission chairman John Grant told _The West Australian _this year that WARL had been misled into believing it was in line for a side when it launched West Coast Pirates. "We gave people the opportunity to build expectations that they should not have had," he said.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/24278619/viewers-boost-case-for-local-nrl-team/

"Australian Rugby League Commission chairman John Grant told _The West Australian _this year that WARL had been misled into believing it was in line for a side when it launched West Coast Pirates. "We gave people the opportunity to build expectations that they should not have had," he said."

It may not be what the expansion bids want to hear, but it is a very mature approach by the ARLC...

Shows how much Gallop screwed everyone around, rather than being straight.

Diesel

Referee
If the ARLC is going to prop up NSW clubs and they've said they will, wouldn't it make more sence to be propping up an untapped market that can actually increase viewing numbers and junior numbers and also work with new corporate sponsors that are currently untouched?

I don't see the point of putting dots in the map for the sake of it but when you have Perth and WA increasing viewers and playing numbers without a team you'd have to imagine what it'll do with a team of its own

The Great Dane

First Grade
Incumbent clubs take precedence every day of the week.

Why?

Let me put it this way, if you own a 20 year old car that breaks down every other week and costs you thousands to repair a year, do you keep it simply because you've always had it or do get rid of it and buy a newer better car?

Just because they're incumbent doesn't mean that they're what's best for the NRL or indeed the game it's self.